Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yup, any "red" in it means ATF, and wrong, wrong, wrong. Could be that it was so dark that you couldn't distinguish whether it was tinged with red, yellow, or gold; just good that it's changed now, and good to change it more often than it had been.:|
I'm pretty certain Honda's CVT fluid is a shade of red. I know some third-party CVT fluids are green, but not Honda's.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Whoops, I replied twice. I just tried Sport mode and it seems to jerk less with AC on.
Mine seemed to jerk more with the AC, but less in sport mode. Changing my transmission fluid and filter helped a lot so if your car is due I highly recommend to change the CVT fluid and filter. :smile2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm pretty certain Honda's CVT fluid is a shade of red. I know some third-party CVT fluids are green, but not Honda's.
Oh snap! I don't know the validity of this, but I tried digging deeper and found this pic. Based on this and my manual, since I have a 2011 CR-Z, I am in the clear. It seems like the newer Honda CVTs use yellow fluid, so I see where that came from. Any one have any insight on which years of CR-Zs use which CVT fluid?

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh snap! I don't know the validity of this, but I tried digging deeper and found this pic. Based on this and my manual, since I have a 2011 CR-Z, I am in the clear. It seems like the newer Honda CVTs use yellow fluid, so I see where that came from. Any one have any insight on which years of CR-Zs use which CVT fluid?

Yep, make sure to use the first gen (red) fluid. Great find !

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yep, make sure to use the first gen (red) fluid. Great find !
Yes, that's right, and all years of the CR-Z take the same CVT fluid--I was saying "not red" in comparison to ATF, which is a deeper "red" color. I've been calling it a "golden" color for years:|:grin2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2011 EX occasionally feels like a gear is slipping (automatic transmission) but not at low speed, but rather from start. Like it'll catch, drop, rev, then catch again and it's super clunky. Being on sport or eco mode seems to eliminate this. I've had all my regular services and mentioned this, but none of the mechanics noted anything wrong....

·
Registered
516 Posts
My 2011 EX occasionally feels like a gear is slipping (automatic transmission) but not at low speed, but rather from start. Like it'll catch, drop, rev, then catch again and it's super clunky. Being on sport or eco mode seems to eliminate this. I've had all my regular services and mentioned this, but none of the mechanics noted anything wrong....

I have that sometimes too but if you just let go the throw a little and apply gas again. The CVT will go back to normal. How many miles does your car have ? I only have 31k on mine and I changed my cvt fluid at 25k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have that sometimes too but if you just let go the throw a little and apply gas again. The CVT will go back to normal. How many miles does your car have ? I only have 31k on mine and I changed my cvt fluid at 25k.
Yeah, sounds like it's just a quirk..... I have about 72k, got fluid at 70k. Has done it for the entirety that I've owned the car, about 15k miles.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
This is where some smug smartypants might chime in and say something to the effect that the manual transmission has no such quirk... /forum/images/CRZForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Oh yeah, that reminds me--when I get tired of driving the CVT, I just get into my other CR-Z, with the 6-Speed>:)>:)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts