Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
In the past many parts were known to be repairable. As time goes on we have become a throw away society. Many companies are making it harder and harder to repair items. This is much more true in the electronics industry. You can't even find or borrow repair manuals for many things. For CR-Z you can only buy one for 2011-12 anything newer simply not available.

Please support the right to repair everywhere!

Congratulations for getting yours fixed!

Hi, thanks for the Help.
I got mine repaired just the one which was broken. I didn't know that shafts are repairable.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I have been working on Hondas for a long time and I cannot believe I've never seen or heard of this before but sure enough searching for this brings up a plethora of horror stories and horror images. And Honda is all 🤷‍♂️"meh".

Great info, I'll be removing these rust traps from now on.
I haven't heard much of that particular problem until recently--always had at least one Honda since '75. I figure you'll never see one in sunny California, though. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I live in the UK and own a 2010 crz 6 speed manual. last night my offside (right) driveshaft / cv axle snapped in half.. struggling to find a replacement part. (left and right aren’t interchangeable are they? because i can find loads of left ones) do any other models fit or does anyone know where i could get one? thanks.
I too live in UK and like you my drive shaft on drivers side snapped in half. No warning noises etc. I too cannot seem to be able to get one! If anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,259 Posts
I too live in UK and like you my drive shaft on drivers side snapped in half. No warning noises etc. I too cannot seem to be able to get one! If anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks
You can buy a new one from rockauto quite cheaply.
Check UK FB CR-Z owners group etc as well the problem has been widely discussed.

I treated the shafts on my new Lithium car by getting under the rubber damper and lubing with duck oil etc to try and keep water out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good question! I too await an experienced reply ;)

Reactions: MrTea and TNThomas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes it was repaired by someone in Glasgow but after a month it was broken again and this time i was lucky and i found one on ebay after messaging alot of people. So far this one is going good.
Sorry for getting back late.
Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks Wqs but I was hoping Peter would come back with a description of how to remove the rubber and protect the shaft for us less technical owners :) Hopefully some preventative maintenance will save our shafts!

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,259 Posts
Sorry. I just levered it away from the shaft with flat blade screwdriver to squirt stuff underneath.
It would def be better to undo the securing band but i did not have any of those special clip tools.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks Peter. I'll lay my zimmer flat and roll under to have a look :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just checked for the availability, in the U.S., for my 2013's driveshaft, and the right side shows "discontinued." You can use this list as a quick reference to match up a used one from another model year, if it comes to that, but the "SZT" in the part# tells me that the part is unique to the CR-Z and not shared with other honda models (as I thought maybe the Fit would be a close match, but not the case.)

Right side driveshaft:
2016: manual) 44305-SZT-G51 ; CVT) 44305-SZT-J00
2015: manual) 44305-SZT-G51 ; CVT) 44305-SZT-A01
2014: manual) 44305-SZT-G51 ; CVT) 44305-SZT-A01
2013: manual) 44305-SZT-G51 ; CVT) 44305-SZT-A01
2012: manual) 44305-SZT-G01 ; CVT) 44305-SZT-A01
2011: manual) 44305-SZT-G01 ; CVT) 44305-SZT-A01

Left side driveshaft:
2016: manual) 44306-SZT-G51 ; CVT) 44306-SZT-J00
2015: manual) 44306-SZT-G51 ; CVT) 44306-SZT-A01
2014: manual) 44306-SZT-G50 ; CVT) 44306-SZT-A01
2013: manual) 44306-SZT-G50 ; CVT) 44306-SZT-A01
2012: manual) 44306-SZT-G01 ; CVT) 44306-SZT-A01
2011: manual) 44306-SZT-G01 ; CVT) 44306-SZT-A01
So if I ordered a 44305 sztg01 from America it would still be a 44305 sztg01 that my UK Honda dealership says I need for my rhd UK crz?

·
Registered
516 Posts
So if I ordered a 44305 sztg01 from America it would still be a 44305 sztg01 that my UK Honda dealership says I need for my rhd UK crz?
The CV axles are different for LHD and RHD, but these might have different serial numbers. So I don’t know for sure if you bought the correct one, but it is probably wise to check if you ordered a RHD one. Maybe mail/call the company you bought it from just to be 100% sure.

Did your CV axle also break due to rust? Do you have a link of where you ordered the new axle from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The CV axles are different for LHD and RHD, but these might have different serial numbers. So I don’t know for sure if you bought the correct one, but it is probably wise to check if you ordered a RHD one. Maybe mail/call the company you bought it from just to be 100% sure.

Did your CV axle also break due to rust? Do you have a link of where you ordered the new axle from?
Due to rust yes. I haven't ordered one yet. But will be from America if its suitable for my rhd.....

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
According to the parts diagrams yes its the same driveshaft part for USDM and UKDM. These are fully assembled driveshafts:

2011-2012:
44305-SZT-G01 is the Right side of the car
44306-SZT-G01 is the Left side of the car.

2011-2012 superseded part number (old):
44305-SZT-G00
44306-SZT-G00

2013-2016:
44305-SZT-G51 Right side
44306-SZT-G51 Left side

2013-2016 superseded part number (old):
44305-SZT-G50 R
44306-SZT-G50 L

In the parts diagrams if a part is listed L or R that is the side of the vehicle (as if you were sitting in it looking forward) regardless of which side the steering wheel is on. R is always the right side, as a right hand turn is always a right hand turn regardless if you drive on the left or right side of the road.

I don't believe this is correct. They're showing the same part numbers for LHD and RHD, ie UKDM and USDM are showing the same exact driveshaft parts.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Oops, I am sorry! Thanks for explaning it. Do you know what the difference is between the current axles and the superseded/old ones?
No worries at all! There certainly are part differences between the markets but based on the two regional parts catalogs they appear the same. And that's a great question but I have no idea what specifically was changed on the driveshafts. Honda will regularly do this with parts and I know in the past its been due to both minor and significant changes to the part. Minor like can't even tell what was changed and significant in yeah they definitely changed this finish or that seal. And in my experience when ordering even if you put in the old part number they will send out the new one.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts