Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

CuteOneZ - Build Thread

38K views 216 replies 18 participants last post by  CuteZ 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have been a member and lurker on the forums for some time (since 2015) and even went out to the 2018 Dragon Meet.
That said I am happy to announce I finally got my own Z and am starting this build thread for ideas and to track my progress.

My CR-Z is a Black 2015 EX CVT with 18.9k miles on it at time of purchase.

Current Mods (updated and ordered as added)
35% Window Tint
Purple/Fuchsia Interior LED Lights
3 Buttons Folding Flip Remote Key Case Shell Fob
Team HEKO Window Deflectors
Eyeliner Mod on Taillights
Fit Intake Manifold
K&N Intake
3D MAXpider Front Row Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mats
Eibach Lower Springs
Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks
Radiator Stay (Real Carbonfiber Purple Finish) - from Dieter Hermans
Wheels: Konig Ampliform 17x8 5-114.30 +40
Kami Speed Race Test Pipe
COHO For Honda CR-Z/CRZ Android 10.0 8-Core 6+128G Navegador Car Multimedia Player Auto Radio Screen
Remote Start w/ Long Range Fobs
Acura RSX Type-S Front Brake Kit
Tires: Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus (215/45 R17 91W)
HPD Cat-Back Exhaust w/ Center Exit Diffuser
Cusco Front Strut Bar

In The Works Mods (ordered, pending install, or planned for next)
Inozetek Supergloss Metallic Midnight Purple

Planned Mods (no particular order, and ones listed may or may not happen just what I think I want to do)
Replica Mugen Wing (Purchased from a person on the Facebook group, not currently installed)
Lip Kit
Turbo/Supercharger
Push Button / Keyless Entry / Remote Start - Advanced Keys

Pipe Dream (Would be nice but unlikely to happen without serious money or help)
KR-Z

Removed Mods
Tires: Yokohama S Drive 215/45 R17 91W (Rear) | Yokohama Advan Sport A/S (Front) Had unrepairable flat and the S Drive's were no longer sold
XTRONS 10" Android 8.1 Head Unit
20mm Rear Spacers
Muffler Delete
Kenwood DDX-6904S Sold
HKS Silent Hi-Power Cat-Back Exhaust

I am also the type of person who loves feedback and suggestions so feel free to leave them.

Car as it is currently:

See less See more
#4 ·
Finally got one, eh? Looks great, and hope to see you back at the next Dragon Run. ...so, is the Prelude still around, or did you trade it in?

#6 ·
#7 ·
Purple LEDs just came in and got them all installed except for the License Plate which I think I will leave as is (dunno how NC cops, or other state, will react to purple plate lights) I will try to remember to grab a pic tonight. One thing I am unsure on is how to change the courtesy light in the dome and foot wells.

Sorry about the last picture being blurry, I am not a good picture taker.

#8 ·
Best to just stick with white lights over the license plate. The dome/map light lenses pry easily out in much the same way the door ones do. The foot lights are a different matter. There's a DIY thread to fairly easily make those brighter that you or someone else can look up. Changing them takes a little more effort and a smaller type of led than what was used in the other spots.

#9 ·
I have blue led inside and out, I don’t think there is a mention in the law about the color of the license plate light but if it is out you will get a ticket. Please correct me if I am wrong!

#12 ·
The only problem with purple LEDs is that they are usually a red and blue LED combining color to make purple. When they eventually fail, the vibration turns them into flashing red/blue.

I've seen several cars with failing purple LEDs that I thought were cop cars from a distance because of this. YMMV, but I'd be really wary of installing purple LEDs on the exterior.

#13 ·
That is concerning, as I am flirting with cops as it is with 35% Tint (it's legal but on a black car with black interior it seems darker than that).
As I mentioned I originally wanted a purple CR-Z and I was going to accent black with it, since I have a black one I was going to accent with purple...but if the LEDs are going to be problematic then perhaps I need to rethink that. :frown2:

#15 ·
That's the idea, what I was thinking about on the outside is tossing a metallic purple on the chrome parts (not that there are much).

Reactions: Fediej
#16 ·
So I just got done deep diving the DIY forum....so many ideas!

Currently just finished ordering the housing for the flipkey mod, some T5 LEDs for the courtesy, foot wells, and possibly the instrument panel and steering wheel (I have 2 electronics engineers for roommates so I could put them to use). I am also considering the polyfill mod for the sub as it just doesnt kick hard enough for my tastes though, I would like to do an inlay for the repair kit area or make use of the otherwise useless bins.

Reactions: litz
#18 ·
Yea I still want to do the typical performance/handling mods as well, just dont have that kind of free money atm so I am trying to fill the gap with these cheap/smaller changes.

Reactions: CRZY RED
#19 ·
Flip Key Fob Case came in and I have moved the fob from my second key over (still need it cut...went to local dealership but they were closed cause of some Tropical Storm or something we had today).
I linked the case I ordered on my first post, overall I like the material quality but there are some issues with fitment. had to dremel where the case injection mold connected so the fob would lay flat as well as cannibalize an old card (like a credit card or something of similar thickness) on the hing to resolve some rattle when the key was folded. Like I said though the material its constructed from feels premium and has a nice weight to it....cant wait to use it.

EDIT: So apparently no one will cut it, even Honda refused. I haven't been able to get a hold of a locksmith yet because of the aforementioned tropical storm yesterday.

EDIT EDIT: Found a place, 45mi away (probably could have found one closer but was heading that way anyways), and got it cut for $35...works like a charm :D

Reactions: Spdbump
#20 ·
Flip Key Fob Case came in and I have moved the fob from my second key over (still need it cut...went to local dealership but they were closed cause of some Tropical Storm or something we had today).
I linked the case I ordered on my first post, overall I like the material quality but there are some issues with fitment. had to dremel where the case injection mold connected so the fob would lay flat as well as cannibalize an old card (like a credit card or something of similar thickness) on the hing to resolve some rattle when the key was folded. Like I said though the material its constructed from feels premium and has a nice weight to it....cant wait to use it.

EDIT: So apparently no one will cut it, even Honda refused. I haven't been able to get a hold of a locksmith yet because of the aforementioned tropical storm yesterday.

EDIT EDIT: Found a place, 45mi away (probably could have found one closer but was heading that way anyways), and got it cut for $35...works like a charm :D

Ace hardware stores near me will cut car keys if you ask. This is the one down side to this modification having to get it cut and programmed to the car.

#21 ·
Luckily I didn't need any programming as I just used the internals from my 2nd key.

#23 ·
You are very welcome, yea no chip in my key been out today using just the flip key (had the other one on me yesterday....just in case)

Reactions: Spdbump
#26 ·
Nothing changed since the key fob (am expecting my Team Heko Deflectors in today) but felt like taking pictures when I stopped at Walmart last night...
Not the most extreme parking job but still paranoid about hitting curbs.

#29 ·
Mine came super fast, like a day or 2 sooner than expected and like within a day or 2 of ordering.

#31 ·
photos.google.com

I did log out to ensure they were visible to random people (just in-case it was only showing for me because I posted or whatever).
I tried using the drag and drop file upload but for some reason it likes to make them upside down (even if they aren't on drop).

#35 ·
Well my plan to change the courtesy lights and Instrument Cluster lights to LEDs failed...the courtesy had angled connectors and the instrument cluster, I couldn't figure out how to remove the tach needle and was too worried of breaking it. Likely would have required soldering anyways to change the lights.

#37 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the instrument cluster lights, but I was able to put LED's in the courtesy lights with no problem. I forget which ones I used, but I figured if something didn't fit, it would be left in OEM condition. :)