Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i stumbled upon this interview with the designer of the car and it seems like the car has some hidden POWA afterall, waiting to be unleashed!

Honda CRZ hybrid in detail - Design language

the guy states that the cars hybrid assist system (i.e. the batteries) is only being used at 50% of its full capacity! he says they could have pushed the system abit harder but for reliability and longevity of the batteries they decided not too as the batteries would require extra cooling.

so going by approximate calculations:

13bhp x 2 = 26bhp

so basically if the batteries were running at more than 50% we could have a potential increase of upto an additional 13bhp or so.

thoughts?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
yeah you omitted the part where they say the batteries will die faster...
Yea, you can see posts all over this forum with CR-Z owners having issues with the current batteries, e.g., running low on power going up hills in ECON etc.

The key is going to Li-ion batteries at some point in the future. Then maybe we will see a true Honda sport hybrid with some significant increases in HP/Torque using an IMA type of system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
.... The key is going to Li-ion batteries at some point in the future. Then maybe we will see a true Honda sport hybrid with some significant increases in HP/Torque using an IMA type of system.
Or a combination of the two.. A Lithium Ion solution and ECU reprogram could get us the performance capability with extra longevity..

Probably an aftermarket item awhile down the road, when someone has 'cracked" the ECU.. or Honda decides reliability is good enough for a performance jump...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Honda was trying to get the car to the market below a certain price.. they couldn't have done that with LI-Lion batteries...

Just like they were trying to get a certain MPG figure.. which they couldn't do with a K20.... blah blah blah... etc..etc..etc...

If the car had everything everybody seems to want.. what would it have cost? And would anyone have bought it, when for much MORE money, there are other vehicles that would do what everybody wants?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
^ i see a potential for the Si/R now...

it will just get a much beefier battery with upgraded electric motor. that makes sense to me. Plus the numbers you can achieve with more output would be fitting for a sport model.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Honda was trying to get the car to the market below a certain price.. they couldn't have down that with LI-Lion batteries...
True. The manufacturing process and availability is not what it needs to be right now. But in a couple of years when cost comes down??

If the car had everything everybody seems to want.. what would it have cost? And would anyone have bought it, when for much MORE money, there are other vehicles that would do what everybody wants?
Also a good point.

:eek:fftopic:

Also agree it is just not the li-ion that would allow a better more powerful IMA, but also other tweaking such as an ECU and maybe even a more "powah-full" electric motor. Things are moving fast. Bet we see this stuff in a couple of years. Honda broke the ground on the Sport-Hybrid concept, it maybe others who take advantage of it later? Bet there are a lot of engineers at various manufacturers working it as we speak.

·
Registered
669 Posts
really you obviously did not read my post properly...

read my post again i mentioned that for realiability and longevity of the batteries they decided not to.
One thing that comes to mind. Isn't there a difference between battery capacity and power output? For example, higher capacity does not necessarily produce more power, but rather the same power for longer. If we wanted to double the output, we'd need a different IMA motor. So it depends on what the Honda engineer meant when he said that they weren't pushing the batteries as hard as they could have. Personally, I interpret this to mean that they were conservative with how much the allowed the battery packs to run down. (running these totally flat is bad)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing that comes to mind. Isn't there a difference between battery capacity and power output? For example, higher capacity does not necessarily produce more power, but rather the same power for longer. If we wanted to double the output, we'd need a different IMA motor. So it depends on what the Honda engineer meant when he said that they weren't pushing the batteries as hard as they could have. Personally, I interpret this to mean that they were conservative with how much the allowed the battery packs to run down. (running these totally flat is bad)
good point but i think he is definitely talking about output because he mentions it in the same sentence regarding the current performance figures i.e. 13bhp 60lbs.

i have done some reading into battery capacities and performance is something that is related to how much the batteries are put into use.

BUT like you said it is down interpretation... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
669 Posts
i have done some reading into battery capacities and performance is something that is related to how much the batteries are put into use.
I was just thinking about when I used to race 1/10 scale R/C cars. If you wanted to go faster, you changed the motor and ran your batteries down faster. If you changed the battery pack on the 'stock' motor, you changed how long you could run, not the actual speed. (though a good pack could run at full speed longer)

·
Registered
886 Posts
for RC at least the current is how long it runs, and voltage is how fast.
For my planes, I can put in a 7.4v battery and have a slow rotational speed, or up it to an 11.6v battery and the prop spins faster.
Put in a higher capacity (or current) pack, and it runs longer.

·
Registered
669 Posts
for RC at least the current is how long it runs, and voltage is how fast.
For my planes, I can put in a 7.4v battery and have a slow rotational speed, or up it to an 11.6v battery and the prop spins faster.
Understanding this, if the CR-Z has a fixed pack voltage of XXX (was it 120 volts??), then then it's not possible to increase hp unless they change the design of the IMA motor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.