Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
CRZ on the bench! Well partly! :cool:

I now have the working interlinked MCM and ECM combo on my desk.
These are the two key modules for the car.
This should allow me to develop code for my OBDIIC&C and IMA control much easier.
Far too cold outside to sit in the car doing coding/testing work etc.
I can now develop and test at my leisure in the warm with intravenous caffeine or Pinot Grigio on hand.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
CRZ OBDIIC&C Firmware 010121 V02 Release.

It has quite a few tweaks, please watch the video for details.

This code uses approx 12% of the PIC18F2680 memory, so plenty of room left. (y)

Changes.

1) Added Read & Clear OBDII Codes.
2) Added Log data to Excel via serial to USB lead 128,000 baud, 8,N,1.
3) Added Reset IMA useable capacity.
4) Added Clear ECM/IMA Manufacturer Codes.
5) Added IMA power in Kw calculation to main screen. (Bottom right eg 123 = 12.3kw)
6) Added maximum continuous and intermittent IMA assist/regen power levels watts display.
7) Added IMA Fan RPM display and speed control.
8) Added Debug screen. (For my use to display variables and data.)
9) Added Config screen. Allows adjustment of LCD Backlight.
10) Gauge now remembers screen and lcd brightness configuration etc between drives.

The firmware is attached below.

It is not a pdf! Rename it to .hex before flashing.

PS I still need at least one more US/CANADIAN tester.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had chance to flash the new firmware but it will be tomorrow before I need to drive the car. Couple of things I have noticed with the new firmware:

- When the ignition is turned off (after having been switched on) you get beeping, and a flashing red led. It is useful as it does prompt to flick the off switch, so I'm not sure if it is a design feature?

- When I go on to the OBDII clear codes screen I have a lot of codes standing and I get a flashing red led and beeper. When I move from that screen the beeping and led stop. I haven't reset them as I'd rather make a note of them and look them up before clearing them if they are genuine.

I have a question on the data logging side. What lead is needed to connect to the OBDIIC&C?

My late arriving Christmas present of a HDS clone turned up yesterday, so I will check for codes with that once I have ironed out the comms issue. I don't have much confidence in the serial to usb converter that came with the kit so I have dug out a serial to usb that I already had, and I know has worked successfully in the past with a Megajolt ECU

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Thanks for that.

1) Let's call that a feature! Reminder to switch it off. ;)

2) Beeping on the OBDIIC&C codes 'display' screen?
I need to check that in my car. :unsure:
It's probably sending extra data I've forgotten.

3) You need an PICAXE axe-027 picaxe 3.5mm jack to USB serial lead and the PLX-DAQ software.

PICAXE USB Download Cable (AXE027) - Hardware - PICAXE

You might need to make the hole in the side of the OBDIIC&C a bit bigger so it plugs in properly.

This is the plx-daq software. PLX-DAQ - Parallax

I use the older version for Windows 98/XP with Excel 2003 etc.
But they have a new WIN10 version I see.

PS. I have added the OBD II Readiness codes now but that will be in the next firmware release.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Definite bug in the OBDII error reading code in last firmware. (I'm working on it)

It works if you have loads of errors/codes like my desk car but not in the real car if you don't LOL!

·
Registered
8 Posts
First journey out with new firmware today. It was interesting to see kW now as it is a much more useful indicator of power assistance or regeneration. Is this figure calculated by the IMA system or a calculation in the OBDIIC&C?

I did have something odd happen this morning. I don't think it is directly OBDIIC&C related, but possibly just a consequence of something I used it for. When I first fitted it to the car I had a play around with changing the state of charge, but I was careful to return to as close as possible to where it was to start with. Ever since then I have noticed on my regular 12 mile round trip around the local flatlands that my SOC is often sat at 7 bars, with occasional jaunts to 8 bars, and sometimes down to 6 bars. Normally on a cold morning start I would have it showing below midpoint very early on in the journey. I tried to regain a normal SOC indication (for my car) by selecting it down to 50% to see how it went on. It just came back to the same situation, so I left it. I have parts inbound to do a grid charge, and I'm doing so few miles, so I wasn't too concerned. I pulled back onto the drive this morning and thought I would have a little play with the IMA fan to see its affect on battery temps, if anything. The car had auto stopped and the IMA fan wasn't running. I put the fan to mid speed and listened to it ramp up. Within a few seconds I had the warning on the dash to press the clutch as my SOC had dropped to about 20%. I pressed the clutch and obviously the engine started and began charging. Rather than sit on the drive waiting for it to recover I thought I would have a quick drive around the village to give it a bit more of kick. It was slowly improving the SOC, with about 30% showing on the ODBIIC&C, and then all of a sudden it decided the state of charge was 75% and put the indicator to 8 bars. Bizarre.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
The OBDIIC&C is calculating Kw by doing (Amps x Volts)

That's all normal behaviour.

Changing the SOC fools the car forcing it into unknown battery territory.
With only three levels to play with you are unlikely to get it back to exactly where it was.

You moved the actual capacity window around enough that you triggered a negative recal as one of the cell taps probably dropped out.
The pack or a cell was really empty.

The car prompted you to start the engine so it could recharge.
It then charged for a bit as you drove, but you then encountered a positive recalibration as one of the cells or the pack was actually full.

You may well have a big imbalance between cells in the pack which will always lead to a tiny useable capacity. :(

So you need to do a grid charge and cycling process to try and balance them and recover some real capacity.
Then reset the useable capacity to 75%

I don't recommend fiddling with the SOC routinely in a standard car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
OBDIIC&C Testers can you please try this firmware 120121 V01.

It's not perfect but should only beep now when clearing codes, and the OBDII codes themselves should be correct.

Changes.

1) Fixed OBDII Codes beeping on read.

2) Added OBDII Readiness flag display screen. (0 = Test Completed)

3) Added Vehicle VIN number and ECM/PCM software code display screen.

4) Added ECM/BCM/MCM Module firmware version number display screen.

5) Added Variable display loop/pause 0-255ms to Config Screen. (Default is 50ms)
This slows down or speeds up the gauge refresh rate.

6) Added SCSM (Honda Service Check Short) Mode to Debug screen. This toggles the cars SCS blink mode.
However it requires the connection between pin 9 in the OBDII plug and pin 4 on the OBDIIC&C main connector to be completed.
(Use the spare brown wire in the cable if you want to test this)
Note turning the gauge off with the switch while it is still plugged into the live car with this wire installed will also activate the SCS mode!
(Default is 1 = Off!)

7) Added SCAN Option to Debug screen. This turns on/off routine CAN BUS scanning to help me debug stuff. (Default is 0 = On!)

8) Added cold restart on down button press to Main display screen.

Rename attached PDF to hex.

PS I now have my HDS talking to my fake desktop CRZ. LOL. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice work again Peter! I’ve tested the V2 software today and ran into the same bugs as Richard, when i get home tonight i will flash the V3 firmware and test it out tomorrow

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've started this thread to document development and testing of my OBDIIC&C display device for the CRZ.

View attachment 62924

This popular device has been used extensively in the other Honda IMA cars for over ten years and has constantly evolved over that time.
It basically plugs into the OBDII port in the car and talks to it over the various CAN & K communications lines and gathers information.
It then parses and display that information or allows you to adjust various settings or functions and clear codes.

The device is incredibly well documented on numerous threads on Insight central and on my YT channel.
As I recently joined the fold and acquired a UK Nimh CRZ and converted it to Lithium, it was time to update the device to make it work with our cars.

Now firstly the OBDIIC&C is not a replacement for a cheap Honda HDS Clone tool (Which I also own)
The clone tools are incredibly useful for troubleshooting and diagnosis, but terribly clunky and impossible to use in the way you can use an OBDIIC&C.

The OBDIIC&C offers a unique real time view of the IMA world by gathering the information into a simple useable display.
It also allows access to information and functions that are simply not available to the millions of cheap generic e-bay OBDII devices.

Operation can be as simple as turn it on and go, as you might have already seen from the videos I have posted on the lithium conversion thread.

The way forward.

All OBDIIC&C updates discussion and feedback will be posted in this thread.

To develop it further I am asking for a couple of volunteers from the UK & US to test and evaluate prototype devices and new firmware as I develop it.
Thanks to some eager beavers over here I already have two UK owners on board and I am sending out their devices on Monday. (Thanks)

But I do need a couple of US owners in case regional differences in the cars ECU/MCM firmware throws up issues.

Here is the info from my earlier volunteer request.. Please read it carefully before applying to help.

So that's where we are. I'm working hard on the firmware and looking for two US owners who want to come on board.

Thanks for your support and interest. Peter UK
I live in the US (Texas) and drive a 2011 (original owner) CR-Z EX MT and would like to help out. I'm just under 80K miles and my car also had the IMA Battery Charge system recall performed on it. Interested in seeing what the batteries are doing now since my mileage went to crap after the re-program. let me know. B. Chambers

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Firmware 140121 V01 (PIC18F2680 18% of available memory used)

(Note. I name firmware on a UK date format and incrementing number of versions per day basis.)

The newest date is always the newer firmware.
The highest firmware number for that day is the newest for that day.

So 140121 V02 is newer than 140121 V01 or 130121 V23 etc etc

Changes.

1) Changed OBDII error reading code to pick up two missed codes and add them to the display.

OBDIIC&C can now display upto ten stored codes.

2) Added second configuration screen for current and voltage hacking % compensation.

When you start hacking the car for current or voltage the BCM/MCM modules only see and report the hacked voltages or currents, which are generally lower than the actual.
So the OBDIIC&C display only receives this hacked data.
So we now have a % compensation value option for voltage and current to correct the display if you want. (Default is 100 = 100% = Normal values)

If I was using a 20% reduction voltage hack then at 100V the BCM would only see and report/display 80V.
To get 80V back to 100V for the display we have to multiply 80V by 25%, so you would set the Voltage compensation value to 125.

The above also applies for Current (Amps).

Compensation % values are stored between drives.

3) Several internal tweaks and optimisations.

Rename attached file to hex.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I live in the US (Texas) and drive a 2011 (original owner) CR-Z EX MT and would like to help out. I'm just under 80K miles and my car also had the IMA Battery Charge system recall performed on it. Interested in seeing what the batteries are doing now since my mileage went to crap after the re-program. let me know. B. Chambers
Thanks. Yes it would be useful to compare the ECU software versions etc against each other.
I have sent you a message.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had chance to flash the new firmware today before I had a short journey to make. It is still beeping and flashing on turning off the ignition, and beeping when on the OBDII codes screen. It is now showing no standing codes but it beeps and flashes the same as before, and is reluctant to change away from that screen. It takes multiple presses to move onto the next screen.

I had a look through the other screens and nothing untoward jumped out. I changed the refresh rate to 75ms to try it out and everything carried on working ok.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It will flash and beep if you turn off the ignition. It reminds you to turn it off. ;) I'm keeping that feature for now.

Thanks for feedback. Yep I have made a mistake in the OBD code part. I'll sort that beeping tomorrow.

Please can testers report the module ID and vin screens software versions etc. Thanks..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually don't mind the beeping on ignition off. Whilst we are relying on remembering to switch it off to ensure it doesn't slowly drain the battery, I can't actually think of a downside.

Module ID Info:
ECM 37805-RTW-E060
BCM 1K101-RTW-J140
MCM 1K001-RTW-J120

VIN/ECU
ECM 56 10 30 03 0C
PCM 36 10 02 50 05

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Smurf.

Has your car had the battery issue software update?

My car data...

Module ID Info.
ECM 37805-RTW-E060 (UK/EU ECM)
BCM 1K101-RTW-G010 (Different to yours and probably the part that was changed in the software update recall) I don't who has the original firmware as yet.
MCM 1K001-RTW-J120

My VIN/ECU

ECM 56 10 B0 03 0C (Different to yours?) Can you double check..
PCM 36 10 08 00 05 (Different to yours)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Firmware 150121 V01

Changes.

1) Changed OBDII code screen to (hopefully) get rid of beeping. (Note pressing down on this screen sends the generic clear OBDII codes command.)

2) Added SRS, ABS, TCM, EPS DTC code clearing screen.

3) A few internal tweaks.

Rename attached file to hex as usual.

Notes.

My OBDIIC&C display communicates with the car on the modern 500kbps CAN (FCAN) lines, and on the serial 10.4kbps,8,N,1 KLine which is a generic older OBDII standard.

A few modules in the car like the SRS (airbags), EPS (Power steering) only have the older KLine connection.
They are not on the CAN bus at all.

The ABS (Anti Lock Braking) Module is connected to both the CAN and KLine so is a bit more unusual.
I haven't check the TCM (Automatic Transmission) but it is probably on both lines.

Anyway based on earlier work on other IMA cars, some :unsure: extrapolation, and looking at some CRZ data,
I have taken a punt and added the code to send the KLine DTC clearing commands for the SRS, EPS, TCM, ABS modules.
These are completely untested at present as I don't have any faults but they might be useful in future.

Of course clearing any codes is only effective if you have actually fixed the problem first.
If you haven't it will probably come back immediately. :(

After clearing module specific DTC codes you will then probably need to clear the generic P Codes from the normal OBDII Code screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Smurf.

Has your car had the battery issue software update?

My car data...

Module ID Info.
ECM 37805-RTW-E060 (UK/EU ECM)
BCM 1K101-RTW-G010 (Different to yours and probably the part that was changed in the software update recall) I don't who has the original firmware as yet.
MCM 1K001-RTW-J120

My VIN/ECU

ECM 56 10 B0 03 0C (Different to yours?) Can you double check..
PCM 36 10 08 00 05 (Different to yours)
There are no outstanding recalls on my car. It is a 61 plate so it may have been delivered with the update.

I've double checked and the ECM code I stated is correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
An OBDIIC&C challenger approaches!

I kid I kid. Without a HDS to figure out the interesting CAN IDs it's rather useless, but a fun learning exercise while i wait for grid charger parts. I don't suppose you'd be willing to share your hard earned CAN IDs in exchange for a small research donation :LOL:

·
Registered
7 Posts
you are going lightning fast Peter! i've been quite busy the last few days so apologies for the lack of info from my side.

The ID's from my are as follows:

VIN/ECU

ECM: 56 10 30 03 0C
PCM: 36 10 08 00 05

MODULE ID INFO

ECM 37805-RTW-E060
BCM 1K101-RTW-G010
MCM 1K001-RTW-J120

21 - 40 of 41 Posts