Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They seem to be shipping internationally directly very cheaply, so I have just pulled the trigger on a set of 4 blocks.

Total was $519.87 inc shipping to the UK.
We will see if they ever arrive etc.

I paid via paypal and they seem to be covered by the paypal guarantee.

You can't have too many Lithium packs to play with in lockdown! LOL 馃憤

Super Moderator
Why do I have visions of your whole CR-Z hatch area filled with batteries and a small storage space in the middle like the Original Insight? :LOL:

I truly appreciate your efforts! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
These are looking promising.

One of my techy friends in the US now has his hands on some and has pulled them apart!

I wonder if i can fit a load in an empty CRZ Nimh battery case!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Lithium battery block and cell dimensions.

How many fit in a CR-Z case?????

30 cells. i.e 1x18S and 1x12S would be about the right voltage.

Each of the four block packs on offer could make two complete CR-Z Nimh to Lithium conversion packs. It will never be cheaper!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Vat shouldn't be a problem. It's more to do with duty and shipping as it's Dangerous Goods so will require special permissions. I'm waiting for reply from them about dims and weight, onec I'll get it I will have rough idea about the cost. If you'd be interested making one shipment will lower the cost.
Tafit did you get any quotes or response? Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This is some interesting technical information on a couple of Honda Lithium car teardowns.. (Fit and Accord)

Honda Fit Hybrid teardown (Part 1): Battery components & brake system - MarkLines Automotive Industry Portal

Honda Fit Hybrid teardown (Part 2): Engine and transmission - MarkLines Automotive Industry Portal

If you search the site for 'Honda hybrid teardown' there is also a Lithium Accord teardown which is interesting.

Keyword Search Results - MarkLines Automotive Industry Portal - MarkLines Automotive Industry Portal

Registered
I've been trying to find some Data about packs from some other hybrid cars but it turns out there is not loads of info scattered around the web, I got a friend working for a Toyota/kia dealership So I might be able to get some datasheets from him so we know what the max charge/discharge rates for the cells are.

the packs that might be of any interest so far could be

- Kia Niro/ceed/ioniq hybrid 8,9kwh 360V pack, unfortunately it is a LiPO pack which doesn't make it ideal

-The 2012/2016 Toyota Prius/Auris hybrids use a 4.4kwh 201V Li-ion pack (2017+ has a 8,8KW pack but no info to be found anywhere)

- BMW 330/530E battery packs are 12Kwh 354V Li-ion, which could potentially work if you would take some cells out to lower the voltage

there are some bargains to be found on eBay so if any of these would turn out to be suitable I might consider making a pack

Registered
Sorry my bad I meant the fit hybrid, looking at those specs you posted on this page of it it might be an easy boost if it physically fits. I think the standard one has. 0 . 6ah at 144v,and the fit hybrid has 5ah at 173v. Am I right in assuming you are currently using it in your car which is an nimh type and are getting a few data packets errors? So was wondering would it be a straightforward swap in a lithium battery crz.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Any swap from one car model to another of a complete package is unlikely to be problem free.

I don't know anything about the Fit hybrid. Please post some details and links to tech info.

Registered
-The 2012/2016 Toyota Prius/Auris hybrids use a 4.4kwh 201V Li-ion pack (2017+ has a 8,8KW pack but no info to be found anywhere)
The Prius PHV (plug-in) uses Li-Ion but I'm pretty sure the normal 2012-2016 Prius uses NiMH.

Registered
Without knowing much at all about this I must say thanks for your knowledge sharing Peter, it has been very educational. What is your view on the bumblebee batteries, eccono etc that all seem to quote 8amp hours upgrade from the standard 6.5. Has anyone in the UK got experience with these shipped over from the USA? and is there a UK equivalent company?

If you built an upgrade kit I would certainly be interested in it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I can rebuild CR-Z batteries if really necessary. The batteries are all basically the same.
The 8ah claim is a bit misleading. Bumblebee and I get them from the same far eastern supplier. ;)
He normally won't ship them to the UK as I deal with the market here.

拢1500 + shipping for both packs + import duty and VAT etc..
Then you have to fit it yourself.. What happens if it dies?

I charge 拢2k inc fitting in Hull with 3 year rtb warranty.

However without knowing any details about your own battery problem, I suggest your battery might recover if you follow the cheap process I have outlined on the forum.
You should certainly try it first.

Please post details in a separate thread of your own if you are having battery issues.

Registered
Ok, thanks. I don't have a battery problem...... yet. its just old so pondering what degraded performance it must have from being in the car for 10 years.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts