Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New here, obviously. I'm currently driving an 03 MINI Cooper S I bought new. It's now at the point where I am doling out a ton of money for repairs, so I think it's time for a change. We have owned quite a few Hondas over the years (my wife drives an Acura TL...nice car) and I want to get back into the Honda fold.

I am extremely interested in the CRZ. I like to look. I like the hatch. I like the 6 speed manual. I like the hybrid.

I'm hoping people on this forum can give me your likes and dislikes of your particular CRZ. Is it more or less than you imagined? Zippy? Sluggish? How do you feel about owning a model in its first year?

Thanks in advance,
smf

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Hello everyone,

New here, obviously. I'm currently driving an 03 MINI Cooper S I bought new. It's now at the point where I am doling out a ton of money for repairs, so I think it's time for a change. We have owned quite a few Hondas over the years (my wife drives an Acura TL...nice car) and I want to get back into the Honda fold.

I am extremely interested in the CRZ. I like to look. I like the hatch. I like the 6 speed manual. I like the hybrid.

I'm hoping people on this forum can give me your likes and dislikes of your particular CRZ. Is it more or less than you imagined? Zippy? Sluggish? How do you feel about owning a model in its first year?

Thanks in advance,
smf
We have a "Driving Impressions" thread

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda...cial-driving-impressions-review.html#post7007

and a "What don't you like" thread also..

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/1851-what-dont-you-like-about-crz.html#post12965

check them out. Should answer your questions.

Me? I love mine! It isn't as fast as your Mini.. but the handling is very similar. It will scoot pretty good with the IMA assist. I would say Zippy! I normally would not buy a first year model... but this is Honda... and I trust them, based on years of experience!

Oh.. and Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I owned 2 MINIs prior to the CRZ both my MINIs were base, (non S) versions. the CRZ handles as well as these MINIs and accelerates as well and has a better ride.

But compared to your MINI "S", the CRZ is much slower and does not handle, in a sporty way, as well as your MINI S, but has a much much better ride than any MINI S. Utility wise the MINI has the small back seats when you need them, but cargo wise they are about the same. as for fuel economy my CRZ is getting 10 more MPG than I was ever able to get from my MINI 38.3 MPG vs 28.5 MPG. Reliability wise I don't think there will be any comparison.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I also came from about a year in a Mini S to the CR-Z and would agree with TCroly's assessment. While the Mini S is a better handling car when thrown into corners, you have to live with it's harshness for all of the time. A good portion of this is due to the stock run flats. It also has a much stiffer clutch pedal which can become tiresome in traffic jams. While the Mini has better window visibility, I found it's side mirrors to be useless in night traffic and in rain. The CR-Z doesn't have the Mini quirks (operation of the wipers/turn signals, switchgear) which while cute at first I found to be bad ergonomic joke later.

The Mini is a neat car. But I know a number of owners who have gone back to Honda hatches. It's just nice having a car that works and works properly.

My Mini S overall mpg has been 30.4 vs. 37.7 thus far for the CR-Z.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone

Thank you for your replies. I owned a couple Accord hatchbacks circa late 70s early 80s and loved them. My wife had a great 86 Prelude when we started dating which was a blast to drive (how can you not love a woman in a red Prelude) so I have a very positive history with Honda.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I drove a Clubbie S for a year - fun ride, but like all of my BMW experiences - have to sell it before the warranty runs out. CR-Z is surprisingly close to MINI as far as handling is concerned, especially in every day driving. It might give up sooner on the track, but day to day will be just fine. Brings me to the point of the importance of having a well-handling hybrid - you can take turns at ludicrous speed and avoid wasting fuel on braking. Finally I can put all those racing school tricks to a good use :p

Honestly, how many times have you used the rear seats in the MINI? Go to your local dealer, get a CR-Z test drive, make sure the salesguy is not in the car and push it through some familiar curves - you'll enjoy it. The passenger I took for a ride with me screamed just as much as they screamed in my Clubbie and 550i.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is sluggish in econ mode and a little low to the ground especially getting out for some.
The bottom line is it is fun to drive, an eye catcher, unique. I've gotten many compliments from people of all ages. The worrying about a new model scare; to me it's sad to say as I am a red blooded American that craze was for American vehicles back in the days. Hell I parents and grandparents use to say that. Bysides I can't believe Honda would produce a new vechicles with many flaws in it. Its guaranteed. Live for today, GO FOR IT!

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Get one period......DO IT..... come on ..........DO IT
Yea, I don't think you'll find anywhere in this forum where owners do no love their CR-Z. Some nit-picking on things and some small things that have resulted in a visit to the stealerships service department. But, I don't think we have any dissappionted owners here. Seems to be a few previous mini cooper owners also.

So... Do it sounds like sound advice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a 2000 insight brand new in Feb. 2001. Since it was the first hybrid on the market everyone was scared of it. This one was a year old and had 200 miles on it so I got a smokin deal on it. The first major thing to happen to it.... Batteries when out at 103,000! And still covered under warrenty. I drove the hell out of this little thing and it NEVER had any flaws. The CRZ has nearly the same IMA technology as the first gen insight...Why? Because it WORKS! I'm a mechanic and have worked on hondas with 300,000 miles which are the customers daily drivers still. Don't know how to go with anything other than Honda or Toyota.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
:yeahthat:

I second that... very good info on those extensive threads. I've always liked the look of the Mini Cooper and actually used it as a means for comparison when I was making my decision to buy the CR-Z. Both seem to be fun little cars with some pep, and with designs that are clearly not run-of-the-mill. I was impressed at how much Coopers could be customized, but on the down side doing so really boosts their price tag! :eek:mg:

It was an easy choice for me, as I knew I wanted a hybrid as my next car, and it was love at first CR-Z site! I absolutely love the car and baby it bigtime... already hand washed it more than any car I've ever owned! My negative perspectives: rear quarter blind spots, not-adjustable headrest that I think I'm finally getting used to after several months, lack of standard center armrest. The engine auto-shutoff feature has also taken some getting used to, and was pretty freaky at first!

Best wishes with your decision!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
^ its not a static number. the battery charges and discharges during the commute. When you brake it charges, when you accelerate it discharges. It discharges faster while youre on a hill under constant load. Driving at a constant speed on the highway will charge it a small amount. The gas motor and the battery go hand in hand so there is no way to say specifically how many miles the battery will last.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
OH i think i misunderstood you. Youre asking how many miles you can rack up on the odo before the battery needs a complete replacement?

If thats what youre asking, the original Insight used a similar IMA system. That car had great reliability even when it came to the battery. Also, the battery in the CRZ is warrantied for a LONG time. I think its something crazy like 5- 8 years. In another thread i also saw that an insight battery replacement at a dealer cost 2500 approx for parts and labor. Not an expensive repair - and you shouldnt have to worry about it for at least 5 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.