Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I intentionally did not get the Navi headunit, figuring that a smart phone GPS would be more than adequate. I am in the US market.

I am considering removing the stock Honda headunit, and replacing with an double DIN panel. I expect that I can use the panel part associated with the Navi.

I have several questions:

Bluetooth operation: Is the bluetooth receiver integrated into the factory headunit? Or is it elsewhere and it simply mutes the headunit audio for handsfree operation? Are there any details about the Bluetooth device in the CRZ (was it used on another Honda product, what are the pinouts, where are its modules located, any aftermarket hacks for it, etc.)

EX trim: The EX model is advertised as having a higher power stereo system. How is this done? Is there an additional amp? (since it appears to same the same headunit and a subwoofer has been added) Where is the amp located?

EX headunit (non-navi): How is the headunit removed? Is it's pinout the same as other 2010/2011 Honda OEM headunits? (figured I would use a compatible wiring harness)

My best case scenario is:
• I can keep the factory bluetooth and route the mute line to an aftermarket headunit. I only need the ability to answer or hang up on calls. I don't need to load an address book into the CAR database.
• I can install a PAC steering wheel control interface to a supported aftermarket headunit so I can retain all of the audio controls on the steering wheel.
• I will use a wiring harness to make use of the existing amp, and run a mute line from the factory bluetooth module to the aftermarket headunit.

The reason for me going to this trouble is that I want to install a headunit with an integrated iPhone dock. I've used this headunit on another vehicle and have been very happy with it. I hate having docks and clusters of wires running everywhere. I also prefer to have the iPhone mounted high where I can see it without having to look down. And I want to run apps such as GPS, Pandora, Trapster, etc. in addition to just listening to music stored on the device.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
i heard Clarion does the sound for the CR-Z's...

to answer one of the OP's questions... the EX adds an amplifier but i'm not sure where it's located... my '06 Si had it in front of the shifter under the center console...

the easiest way i see to install something aftermarket would be to get a wire harness/adapter for it... if you're going to install aftermarket subs/amps it's easier to leave the existing amp and tap into the sub wires when looking for RCA-in for the amp... i can go into detail on this but only if you ask b/c i'd have to look for the pictures i had for a DIY i did on another forum...

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cupholders are perfect for the iPhone. And just use the USB cable on your (jailbraked) iPhone And it works great.
You can even use the Bluetooth to mute when the gps instructions come over your radio
Thanks YLA, but that's not what I'm looking for:

I hate having docks and clusters of wires running everywhere. I also prefer to have the iPhone mounted high where I can see it without having to look down.
I don't want stalks or suction cups either. No rats nest.

Now I may compromise: The trim panel beneath the radio could be removed, carefully cut out, and an dock placed in it. If a low profile pivot dock could be integrated in that trim piece and all the wires hid, I would likely be ok with that. As YLA points out, the usb cable is close by. I could run the wiring behind the dash. When it came time to sell the car, if the buyer didn't want the dock, simply replace it with a mint trim panel.

If I was going this route, I'd need a dock that could rotate to landscape and portrait, but would have a low profile and support pass-thru connectivity (so that the track up/down buttons on the steering wheel would continue to work).

I've seen some Brodit Pro-clip pass thru docks but they are anything but low profile. But that was a few years ago.

Update: This seems to be a much better iPhone dock connector design. Low profile options, pass through connection, pivot. I would have to do some cable routing management, but this appears to be a good compromise.

· Registered
11 Posts
Just took out my stock stereo and purchased the navi trim piece... To in stall my alpine head unit. The writing harness looks to be an accord wiring harness and will let you know if it works. The amp is behind the radio... Will take some pics so all can sure

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just took out my stock stereo and purchased the navi trim piece... To in stall my alpine head unit. The writing harness looks to be an accord wiring harness and will let you know if it works. The amp is behind the radio... Will take some pics so all can sure
Thx for the info. Do you have the EX with Bluetooth? I'm trying to figure out if the radio can be swapped out, but retain the Bluetooth muting/routing.

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point. So we need to figure out if BT is in the headunit or standalone.

· Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got some info for the EX with no navi

Below is link for removal of the Factory Radio, Amp and a Wiring diagram. Looks like the Bluetooth might be a separate module.
Great stuff! Thanks!

· Registered
6 Posts
Dying to know how much the double din faceplate is.. Am thinking about a pioneer 7" receiver that allows for the backup cam option. My concern is the amp and whether it's still usable with an aftermarket receiver and how it will sound.

· Registered
21 Posts

how much was the trim piece? That seems like the way to go for aftermarket headunit with backup camera.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.