Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going through my cd collection today to move some into the ol CRZ...

Decided to stick in Snoop Dogg's "Doggystyle" (his debut cd).

Man, our factory EX stereo system PUMPS!!! The sub is very nice, the components are very clear.

Really a great stereo system- may be the best factory system I've ever heard (and I've owned BMW and Corvette among others).

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hmmm... I'm on the other side of things... I'm not a fan of the factory system (EX with Nav).

Some songs (usually rock) really seem to be missing mid/low no matter what input source types I'm using.

I'm really interested in doing that mod to put a sub and amp into the rear-bench cubby holes!

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Yes, I find it works pretty well if you take the time to play with it. Beware of Santana's Maria Maria... Or not if you want to test it...

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think the stereo system is "adequate." It needs a ton more sub.

The best factory system I've heard is in the Boxster S - that sub sounds like I have a giant booming system, it rocks. (Probably the only thing I will miss about that car when it's gone soon!)

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's is hands down the best stereo I have ever had in a car. Because I've actually never replaced a head unit or changed speakers in any car I've ever owned. The little sub is cool though. It's nice to have a little more range.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, as I said, great stock system imo.

In my younger days back in the early 90's I was a car stereo nut and I doubt that even any of the aftermarket stuff I used then was as good as the stock CRZ (of course, I'm older now :blush:)

This has got me thinking though- wonder if replacing the stock speakers with something aftermarket would improve sound? Just speakers, mind you, not amp or deck...

Anybody happen to know the wattage going to the individual speakers and sub? Wonder how a JL Audio 8w1v2 dropped into the factory sub opening would work...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
it's a great stereo. i like it as much if not more, than the shaker 500 in the mustang, which had two 6" subs. is there better stock out there? yes, but this still is a great system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am hoping to get my CR-Z in 6 weeks...Black EX 6M. This will be my first Honda so I'm not very familiar with the brand. Does anyone know what brand the stereo and speakers are in the EX? might be a stupid question, but I can't find jack online on what brand it is. Maybe I'm missing something.
I assume it's going to sound similar to my Nissan SE's Rockford Fosgate stock system. 7 speakers, 350-watt amp and a 10" sub. That system rocked! So I'm hoping the EX sounds the same. I'll be test driving next week. Niiiice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder if the head unit has any preamp outputs not taken by existing speakers? If not, I guess you could piggy-back off the subwoof output if the voltage is high enough.

Just 1 open preamp would be good enough to put in an amp with a small sub box - say a mono 200 watt amp with low pass cut off at 50Hz with a 12" sub box. Nothing outrageous, just something to give some extra boom down low. Anything more and I'm sure you would have to rubberize everything.

Now, where to put it all?.......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Posted this elsewhere: I'm not very impressed with the subwoofer in my EX/Nav audio system. I can tell it's working when I put my ear next to it, but it doesn't make much difference when I slide the SW level bar from min to max.

Maybe I should try a Rap station rather than my USB CDs ?? Maybe I just need source with overdone bass to realize the SW potential.
Don

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I dunno, I can get the CR-Z parts to rattle with the Sub... (Mirrors etc) Park it in front of the house and turn it up and can get the neighbor's attention. Not a big audiophile, but works for my purposes...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think it rocks pretty well, i had a kia soul i traded in for my CRZ and it was an Infinity system with 7 speakers and a 6 inch sub, the CRZ takes the win in clarity and bump of the sub. may be because its a smaller vehicle and the sound resonates better but I like it, no need to upgrade IMO

·
Registered
384 Posts
I dunno, I can get the CR-Z parts to rattle with the Sub... (Mirrors etc) Park it in front of the house and turn it up and can get the neighbor's attention. Not a big audiophile, but works for my purposes...

Lol really? Like do you have to max out the volume where it distorts like crazy? Do you have the EX+Nav or EX with the regular head unit?

Honestly I can't get a tight bass bump with the stock speakers. My Charger with no subwoofer (just speakers in the door) hits with better bass at the same volume levels.

And I've seen the bill of material on how ghetto/cheap the speakers really are in the Charger... I can only imagne how bad it'd have to be with Honda's bill of material.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Lol really? Like do you have to max out the volume where it distorts like crazy? Do you have the EX+Nav or EX with the regular head unit?
EX/NAVI. Like I said, not a real audiophile.. No, do not max out volume. I'm putting a vibration on the mirrors at about 15 to 20 in most cases.... Listening to classic rock, a bit of country and favorite is newer Santana tracks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.