Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The finish on this car is so soft it's ridiculous. The guys with the leaf blowers are an absolute MENACE to my car and my SO created a swirly mess when he tried to be helpful in wiping off my car without any soap... I am stressed out beyond belief trying to deal with repainting parts of it with duplicolor spray lacquers. I am at my wits end.

Also, being in CA, my options are limited with all the environmental restrictions imposed on the shipping and such.

What should I get to paint this beast that will be a little bit more durable than the factory finish on this thing?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Leafblowers are pointless. One guy hires leafblowers and they blow all the crap up in the air, into the street and onto all the neighbors so the neighbors also have to hire leafblowers to blow it all back in the air, into the street and all over their neighbors thus becoming a feedback loop of endless leafblowing bullshit nonsense while the leafblowers laugh all the way to the bank.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
My car was swirled by the dealer, who took a polisher to it while I was signing the paperwork when I first bought it. Thinned the already thin clear coat to an unbelievable level. If they had asked, I would have said, don't clean. Don't polish, don't remove plastic from interior, and hand me the license plates. I did say no dealer sticker.

Get it detailed the best you can and or you can try the coatings and or PPF. Or have a professional do paint correction and respray with many coats of clear coat, then color sand.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to mention the noise pollution...

On the upside, even when the finish is marred, she's still turning heads... Caught somebody admiring it as I came out of the store with my can of paint today.
"That yours?" he asked.
"Indeed, it is," said I.
"That's KEWL!"

Yep. Definitely a looker, however high maintenance she might be. Too bad the adage "Black don't crack" doesn't apply to auto paint!! Oh well... I guess I can at least be grateful that Duplicolor Universal Gloss Black is a good enough match to mean I don't have to special order the factory stuff. It's about as durable as the real paint, though - I wonder if their 1K high gloss urethane would be compatible?

None of this would be necessary had I not been wrestling with the scratches left in the paint by the SO's wipe down, and me buffing right through the clear coat entirely.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
59 Posts
My car was swirled by the dealer who took a polisher to it while I was signing the paperwork when I first bought it. Thinned the already thin clear coat to an unbeleivable level. If they had asked i would have said don't clean. Don't polish, don't remove plastic from interior and hand me the licnse plates. I did say no dealer sticker.

Get it detailed the best you can and or you can try the coatings and or PPF. Or have a professional do paint correction and a respray with many coats of clear coat then a color sand.
Bro tell me about it I specifically told three people at a dealer to not detail my car or use any "wipe-new" inside. And they swirled the hell out of the paint and used wipe-new on everything. Accord was also crystal black metallic.
I took it to be lightly polished and coated for like $500 (pre-pandemic). And that fixed pretty much everything for the next two years of ownership. Would have done a clear protector film on the front bumper / hood because the rock chips were way out of hand.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I did for The Speed Bump have Xpel PPF applied to the whole front end and lights. That was the second thing done to the car after having the arm rest installed. When I can afford to and now that the car has accumulated other issues, I will have the PPF removed and have it professionally paint corrected and anything else that makes sense, then have the PPF reinstalled. Even swirled when clean, it looks nice.

At this point I have a project for the car to upgrade, repair damage and change some things. I have accumulated most of the parts for this project and when I have some time and money finish the project and this paint correction. I also want the area near the hatch hinges painted, where there is no paint. I already treated the hinge area with the Permatex rust converter. That was just to stop further deterioration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts