Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I went to pick up a new Silver EX CVT Navi tonight. I wanted silver and it was on the showroom floor, which should have been a clue. Anyway, went to pick it up later and the mileage was not filled in on the purchase order. So I refused to proceed until they provided the number. 730 miles!!! WHAT!?!? I told them I wanted to buy a NEW one, not a demonstrator. They said it wasn't a demo - it was the first one the dealer got in last fall and it had been on a lot of test drives, and spent the winter sitting in the showroom. I said I didn't want it because I know how > I < drive on test drives, and assumed others abused it in the same way. They offered to take off 50 cents / mile, or ~ $350. I was reluctant to take one that had been sat in by who knows how many people all winter, with everyone tweaker all the knobs and working it over. I told them I needed to drive it, and they said it was outside already running. (more about that later). I took it on a drive and the CVT was not at all smooth like the other two I drove. It was "crunchy", like the pulleys weren't sliding smoothly and it was stuttering mid shift. Ad the fabric was marred, and there was some kind of gooey stuff that wouldn't come off the dash. I got back and they said the sales manager said they would take off $700! Then they let it slip the battery was dead and they had to charge it (which explains why they left it outside running). In fairness, the dealer was cool about it - they didn't try to strong arm me, apologized profusely and said they wanted me to be happy. They offered the same deal on the same color, or any other color I wanted, even if they had to get it from another dealer. I'm still deciding - but - Have there been any general problems with the CVT I should be aware of? I've been searching the forum and haven't noticed a pattern of CVT issues, but wanted to ask. Thanks everyone for listening and I hope to become a member with my own CRZ soon!

·
Registered
271 Posts
You made the right choice. A new car should be new. Otherwise bargain as if you are buying a used car. Get the car you want. New should have less than 100 miles.

(If you get the MT6 there will be no CVT issues, it is a marvelous transmission, just saying)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
um. how is a 730 mi car used on lots of test drives not a demo?
Good job turning it down, that just hack.

Been driving commute CVT for 10k and no issues yet. So far doesn't seem crunchy, unless you count these super addictive deep fried corn nuts I keep munching on during my drive. :p

-Hoi

·
Registered
50 Posts
CVT's are perfectly fine.

The only problem is they are new to most people, so any car that's been test driven by numerous people over 730 miles has probably had the paddle shifters played with a ridiculous amount. The system is supposed to make sure that the driver never goes to an extreme with the paddle shifting such that it could cause damage, but I think that is just theory.

I wouldn't go near one that's likely been messed with that much. I love my CVT CR-Z EX and have nearly 700 miles on it with no indication of it ever fealing "crunchy". I even use the paddle shifters once in a while.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sounds SHADY. I'd go to another dealer...no question about it. No need in getting into a possible lemon for what, to save $700.00? If your "gut check" is telling you something, act on it...as in don't buy that car. My son's CR-Z CVT is very smooth. I have the 6MT and it is very slick shifting with perfect gear-to-gear syncronization.

They're covering something up...don't fall for it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm back, and I actually bought it! They offered to throw in a 5 yr 60K warranty, and I countered with a 8/120, $0 deductible HondaCare - and they agreed! I told them they had to clean it up, and I needed to take another test drive. I went back with a friend from work who is a tuner car guy (his Eclipse turns 550 hp!). I drove a couple other new CVTs before hand for comparison - the one I bought felt the same as the others - I was just feeling flat spots on the tires from it sitting for-EVER in the dealers show room plus the disappointment of it not being "new". We gave it the fine tooth comb and everything checked out. $700 below "invoice" for the miles, and the 8/120 warranty to protect against premature failure down the road. Emotional roller coaster, but it worked out in the end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.