Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I drive 2 hours a day to and from work and I finally got a chip on the front bumper from a freaking Rock.. So I talked to the Dealer and they are going to do the repair for 130.00. they said I wouldnt even be able to notice it was there.. That makes me sick.. I dont want to put a bra on becuase I am afraid of pain Faiding and they never really fit to great. Other than that, I took it to the dealer becuase my tires were very low in pressure and the front left caused the sensor to go off. They said it was just the cold and there were no leaks. I will take before and after pics of the bumper chip.. Its not very big at all but I know its there..

Patrick Conner
http://pdconner.com/

·
Registered
579 Posts
I know how you feel about the front bumper issue. I hit an animal a few weeks ago. I was pretty upset. I was going to get a front bra. But I realized I wouldnt be truely happy with one on. I read about having to take it off to wash and such. I ended up spending nearly 500 to fix mine. I had to pull from savings. A real bust. I do drive to school about 45 mins one way. So I can relate to the worry of front wear and tear. Nicks and chips are okay. because I can always get those fixed. I mean it's not okay, but I can deal with it easier then when I hit the animal. Its the big gashes and body damage that sucks and costs alot.

Just a heads up, the delear told me I wudnt notice it either. I spent 160 and I still could tell. I ended up going to another body shop and spending about 400 to get it done right. I shudve did it that way the first time. But when someone tells assures you, what can ya do ya know? I even complained to the sales rep and painter guy at the delearship. The sales rep never returned my call and the body shop guy gave me an excuse. I only go to the delearship now for oil changes and warrenty stuff. Anything else I go else where. I dont know how extensive the damage is to your car, but 130 sounds like alot for a paint/rock chip. Unless its a dent. If you know a good body shop around town. I'd probably try your luck there instead. Unless you know they do good work. I dont know. The delearship scares me now. Well they always have. Its great how they are your best friend untill you drive off the lot with your new car.

Anyway man, I hope it turns out okay for ya. Best of luck!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yea, get a 2nd opinion. After having the delearship work on my car and showing the other body shops the job. They laughed and said they did a bad job. Blending in the paint and such was mediocre. I just dont want you to make the same mistake I did and was 160 bucks down the hole. Trust me, I wanted to get it fixed asap. When I know something is wrong with my car, I cant seem to enjoy the drive. The thing with dealership is that they have like 1 guy working on 10 cars. A body shop tends to have several guys working around the shop. So they dont feel pressured and dont rush it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's why I recommend a clear film!

I have had Xpel, ClearBra or Durashield on my last 3 cars.

It really does protect the paint (and headlights and foglights!) from lots of damage. In the long run it is cheaper to get than all the paint touchups or other solutions.

The film only comes in fixed sizes, so If you put it on your hood a faint line will be visible. But it has saved me from many, many headaches.

Since the paint is visible, it fades at the same rate as the rest of the car. When I sold my 2007 Fit, it still looked new.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I talked with a company called Rvynal i think it was called, anyway they sell blank sheets of the "clear bra" 30inches by 12 inch intervals (30" x 12".....30" x 24"......30" x 36".... and so on). i was going and may still order four sheets (30" x 48") for the entire hood and each fender, each piece is $30.99. They are like tint vynal you put it on and can take it off but only once. I was doing this cuz i dont like the line you get when you use the pre-cut hood piece though using 2 pieces would hopefully blend that line alittle.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
It's a car guys. The front IS going to chip. End of story. Sad but true. Bugs the **** outta me too but you just have to come to terms with it.

Clear bra looks like a dinged up and yellowed scotch tape after a year or two.
I agree. Unless you plan on keeping it caged up in the garage it is going to to get dings, scratches and chips.

I call them battle scars, and each one has a story.:hi5:

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have a small (1cm) scrape under front bumper but will leave it as it is plastic underneath and no point paying for a minor repair when the whole thing might need doind at some point. I'd only pay for a repair for large mark or exposed metalwork (or if i am going to sell the car!)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I agree. Unless you plan on keeping it caged up in the garage it is going to to get dings, scratches and chips.

I call them battle scars, and each one has a story.:hi5:
I dont put my cars in situations to get scratches or dings but chips i cant avoid unless i clear bra the bizch. Yes im that guy thats parked diagnally in the 2 farthest spots from the store so no door dings from that. I dont parallel park so no bumper dings, nore do i pull in a spot so close i hit the curb or parking block. I have a driveway so no side street parking. I stay away from parking near bushes so no scratches from that either. The only way i can get that kind of stuff is from some D-bag messin with my ride, and when im out i try to be able to see my car const so i can see if and who does anything to her.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Honda has been going the "eco" route. and painting all of their cars with a water based paint and environmentally friendly clear and other materials. The result is a softer paint, softer clear, thats more seseptable to stratches, chips, and swirls. It makes total sense to seal the paint as soon as you get the car to help protect it also it may help against chips.

My last civic had this same paint. I had a CBP 8th gen. After a year the swirls and chips looked the car was 2 times its age. If you have a black car with water based paint, touchless washes only.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I dont put my cars in situations to get scratches or dings but chips i cant avoid unless i clear bra the bizch. Yes im that guy thats parked diagnally in the 2 farthest spots from the store so no door dings from that. I dont parallel park so no bumper dings, nore do i pull in a spot so close i hit the curb or parking block. I have a driveway so no side street parking. I stay away from parking near bushes so no scratches from that either. The only way i can get that kind of stuff is from some D-bag messin with my ride, and when im out i try to be able to see my car const so i can see if and who does anything to her.
I did that too with the MINI I had but eventually something will happen. I am not saying just let be a free for all and be careless but also not to get too spun out of shape when something does.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Clear bra it,just don't use any yellow wax on it.Had mine for 6+ years on my mr2.Clear as a bell,I use that blue ice wax only on the clear bra part.Works great!I will clear bra my crz when it finally gets here.$600.00

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.