Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the VW Golf TDI.

Just like the CR-Z, the 2-door Golf is a small hatchback that combines both performance and efficiency. Although the Turbo Diesel gets identical fuel economy as the CR-Z, 37 mpg, it out-performs the CRZ in just about every way. 140hp to the CR-Z's 122, 236 lb-ft of torque to the CR-Z's 128, 0-60 in 8.6 seconds compared to 9.1 for the CR-Z in sport mode. All without the batteries or the complexity of the hybrid system. All that torque coming in from 1,750 to 2,500 rpm!

Because the Golf TDI excites me as a potential CR-Z buyer, I think this will be of interest to others who are thinking of buying a CR-Z and create some discussion around it.

Heres a recent review from autoblog.

Review: 2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI delivers potent one-two punch of efficiency and entertainment — Autoblog

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Not only does the CR-Z KILL the VW in the looks department... the CR-Z gets better Co2 emissions than the TDI... also some specs to this comparison to consider the TDI is larger than the CR-Z in every field:
Length - 5"+
Width - 2"+
Height - 3"+ (and this is measuring the CR-Z from that little shark fin antenna, knock off an extra 2-3" if that's removed)
Wheelbase - 6"+
Weight - 350lbs+
Tire Size - TDI=225 profile to the CR-Z=195 profile
Engine - 0.5L+ Turbocharged

those are ALL standard numbers for both cars... so while the TDI might seem small and close to the CR-Z, I really think the comparisons aren't the same here... i would also mention price with the TDI starting at $22,354 but we don't know the official price of the CR-Z yet...

besides my money will go to a Ford before it EVER goes to VW...

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Think it's wrong

golf 3D = civic 3D
scirocco 2+2 sport hatchback = cr-z 2+2 sport hatchback

Price is with the same options 5.000 euro difference
The big difference for me is the dashboard, its for more then 10 years the same at VW.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I never intend to buy the CR-Z for high mpg. TDI doesn't excites me, but GTI. Too bad US doesn't get GTD.
My choices are CR-Z(MT),Golf GTI, Civic Si sedan, Acura TSX(MT), Mini Cooper S(MT) and Ford Fiesta.
CR-Z is still at the top of my list due to its style, unless if it really makes me disappointed after test drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
golf 3D = civic 3D
scirocco 2+2 sport hatchback = cr-z 2+2 sport hatchback
In Europe yes, the Scirocco is definitely a better comparison. We don't have the Scirocco in the US and our Civic is still a coupe/sedan not a hatch. Not to mention, there is no diesel option in any of Honda's American lineup.

I agree that the CR-Z looks better than the Golf. Now the Scirocco, that is a good looking car that I wish they would bring to North America:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

Jup the outside is nice, but not as original like in the CR-Z, almost everyone drives a VW here, so nothing special about it.
Just look at the dashboard :)

And of diesel.. be happy that its not so integrated like in Europe, it sucks!! (sound, performance, smell,.. )

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've considered a TDI and have test-driven both the manual and DSG versions. No sale for me.

Although I enjoy the solidity and torque of the TDI, the brand's reputation for poor reliability and lousy dealer service put me off. I owned a 2002 GTI and had several problems that took the car off the road while waiting for parts. Also, a big tuner community has made VW very unfriendly regarding warranty service. The customer is often considered to be at fault when a problem arises (my GTI was totally stock).

The TDI, for me at least, also lost from an economic standpoint. Although the TDI gets very good mileage, in my area, diesel costs considerably more per gallon than regular unleaded; the higher fuel price negated the better milage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've considered a TDI and have test-driven both the manual and DSG versions. No sale for me.

Although I enjoy the solidity and torque of the TDI, the brand's reputation for poor reliability and lousy dealer service put me off. I owned a 2002 GTI and had several problems that took the car off the road while waiting for parts. Also, a big tuner community has made VW very unfriendly regarding warranty service. The customer is often considered to be at fault when a problem arises (my GTI was totally stock).

The TDI, for me at least, also lost from an economic standpoint. Although the TDI gets very good mileage, in my area, diesel costs considerably more per gallon than regular unleaded; the higher fuel price negated the better milage.
Good point about the reliability and diesel costs. Honda does have a far better track record when it comes to reliability. I never considered VW as an option, solely because of this point. But, according to consumer reports, they have done a near 180 in this department and most of their cars made since 2007 are very solid.

The diesel cost is definitely something to consider when equating the economic value contrasted to the mpg. Good point.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
I agree that dash looks outdated. However it's not the dash that's standard the 2010 Golf TDI:

that looks 'better' but not that great to me... i used to work at two different dealerships and i used to valet... i've driven my share of cars and aside from my dislike of US car companies at the bottom of my list is German vehicles right above Korean vehicles... although Koreans are steadily gaining ground... still just a select few vehicles i would consider that are German made those are any AMG Benz and maybe an M5/M6 from BMW... other than that i really dislike German vehicles...

sorry for that lol... just thought you should know why VW will NEVER ever gain ground over Honda in my eyes :p
Good point about the reliability and diesel costs. Honda does have a far better track record when it comes to reliability. I never considered VW as an option, solely because of this point. But, according to consumer reports, they have done a near 180 in this department and most of their cars made since 2007 are very solid.

The diesel cost is definitely something to consider when equating the economic value contrasted to the mpg. Good point.
Yeah diesel is more expensive than 93 Premium Unleaded Gasoline in almost every part of Florida i've been to...

and i haven't really heard anything about VW doing a turnaround but that may be because companies like Kia and Hyundai have really taken the spotlight when it comes to turnaround companies...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Being an European, its very strange for me to see how america perceives VWs. Here they have very good reliability and are almost considered premium cars. Its like having an Audi without the premium price.
In my opinion VW have one of the best interiors in its class, dont get me wrong i like honda but the vw (and german cars in general) interiors just have better quality and finish, at least here in Europe. They dont use hard plastics like honda or toyota, using only good/high quality plastics, they also have great noise isolation in the cabin, better than most japanese car makers. Now, if you dont like the interior design, thats a different subject, thats just personal taste speaking. Now you have to understand that vw follows a design philosophy that doesnt change much over the years, like for example BMW. They dont come up with a new fresh interior design every time they launch a new model, they just update the previous design, for example many elements seen in this year model are very similar to my passat from 98. I do like this philosophy, it brings me a sense of tradition and commitment, its kind of hard to explain.
Now before every one starts yelling VW FAN BOY GET OUT OF THIS HONDA FORUM!!! Let me say, as a grown man i really likes the vw interior but the inner kid in me just loves the hi-tech funky honda interiors, i really love how honda seems to go all out and cuts with tradition, that s2000 interior dam, doing an all digital instrument cluster in 99 its just crazy, the european spec civic its one of mine favorites but the crz interior, ohh man i look like a kid amazed by a shinny Christmas tree, its just too cool!!!
Back on topic, i dont think the Golf is the main contender, at least not here in europe, here the main opposition are the mini cooper, the scirocco (122 bhp version) and maybe the mito and the new citroen DS, but none of them can beat the crz consumption wise.
Now the real diesel contender here is the seat ibiza fr tdi, in my country the crz GT version costs as much as standard equiped ibiza but in the ibiza you get 5 real seats, 320 Nm of torque (174 on crz), 8.2 sec (0-62mph), 143hp (its the golf tdi engine), and 51 mpg in the European combined cycle (the Crz gets 47 mpg here). Plus diesel is cheaper here (95 gasoline costs 5.49 euros per gallon and diesel costs 4.55 euros per gallon). So as you can see, despite loving all things related to the crz, for me its becoming very hard to choose it over the ibiza.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The engineering in VW's is and has been pretty good (engine, transmission). Electronic devices have had a tendency to malfunction quite a bit. Most VW's sold in the US are made in Mexico, not exactly a place that comes to mind when I think of quality assembling.

My Fit was made in Japan, and honestly I'm happier it was made there than in the US.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i agree with you for the most part Rotiv... VW does have better 'quality' interior than Japan-made vehicles, except higher-end cars like the Acura or Lexus brands... but as you stated... they use the same concept in every year vehicle, they should be getting a discount on materials b/c it's always the same lol... tho some of the lower VW's here can be kinda cheap quality too, it is still usually higher...

i like your comparison to the CR-Z with the Ibiza can you post a picture of it for looks comparison??

HERE in the US, NOTHING is directly comparable to the CR-Z... except maybe the base Mini can be in terms of numbers... but i personally don't like to compare cars at their lowest trims ever... i compare the best of the best of each vehicle and in that respect nothing is in the CR-Z's range in the US...

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
That dash image above is the same (I poster the scirroco) exept for the optional gps.

Seat is plastic all the way, more then Honda in my opinion.

Btw: based on realbillity honda and toyota scores higher in Europe then German cars, its even on the top.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
thanks YLA... that dash looks a lot better the VW for sure... no where on the CR-Z's level of style tho... and i never liked those damn circle A/C vents either... Nissan uses them a lot and i hate that crap... even the damn GT-R has em arrrggghhh...

here's the pic for those too lazy to click haha...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.