Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
looks good! i can't wait for the vid!

question though, im just wondering if the stock piping is less than 2", wouldn't there be a loss of TOO MUCH backpressure if trying to push towards the 2.5" mark? making this 2.25" axleback (with hopefully a matching midpipe) perfect for our cars? i know on my rsx, stock piping was 2.25" and aftermarket had a couple 2.36" and predominantly 2.5", leaving 3" diameters for turbo. im not a motorhead or anything like that, i was just asking based on the diameter discrepancies from stock. i know more flow means more power, but is there such a thing as too much flow?
Well I cant say for sure because I didnt measure the stock exhaust diameter, but I would say it is about 1 3/4" but dont quote me on it. A 2.5" I think would be to big it would be like putting a 4" on your RSX in the end it will hurt you. You can throw a 3" on your RSX with out a problem and you will make power at a Lower RPM and all the way threw the power band.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Funny thing about back pressure. It basically will just define where you will make the most power. As it can be restrictive if its too high, too little backpressure or none can sometimes make you lose power in the low end. Basically the bigger the piping the more top end you are going to get.

On the R18 i found 2.25" to be perfect for mid to high end gains. Perfect for the everyday driving rpm's.

I would assume that the same diameter piping on our little 1.5's would give the same effects. with slightly more top end. Though, the dyno graphs shown in the thread show decent gains low end as well.
thanks for the explanation! i figured 2.25" would be a perfect setup according to my butt dyno haha

Well I cant say for sure because I didnt measure the stock exhaust diameter, but I would say it is about 1 3/4" but dont quote me on it. A 2.5" I think would be to big it would be like putting a 4" on your RSX in the end it will hurt you. You can throw a 3" on your RSX with out a problem and you will make power at a Lower RPM and all the way threw the power band.
thanks! i cant wait to see you guys offer a full catback package

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Companies just pump out those lil 2" exhaust because thats what they got the consumer use to. They really dont like to mess with stuff that works for them a .25" over stock is what they told everyone works but realistically it doesn't anymore. A lot of things go into account when you are building anything for a engine but some companies just stick to those old formulas that don't make as much power as it should and then they tax really hard just because of the name.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Got the exhaust on! First impressions. Its deep, fairly easy installation, and the butt dyno likes the low end gain.

Highway is a little droney but could be improved with better big resonator and midpipe.

LOVE the fit and placement. Its way more areo than the other exhausts that have tips that hang below. Love the stealth look and the canister is chrome so its nice to see a little glint every now and then.

Video and pics to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
2.25 is the max anything pass that would be too much and way to loud. I think 2.25 will be loud as hell.
if its resonated well i dont see why it would be louder than a 2in exhaust. Other hondas run larger exhausts and they sound clean. Additionally the CRZ exhaust has a lot less resonators and sound deadening parts inline so im inclined to think it would be hard to make a super loud CRZ exhaust unless you just use pipe only lol. (IMO completely. - armchair fabricator checking in)

·
Registered
710 Posts
if its resonated well i dont see why it would be louder than a 2in exhaust. Other hondas run larger exhausts and they sound clean. Additionally the CRZ exhaust has a lot less resonators and sound deadening parts inline so im inclined to think it would be hard to make a super loud CRZ exhaust unless you just use pipe only lol. (IMO completely. - armchair fabricator checking in)
i have to agree. a nice resonator and "real" muffler makes a big dif in comparison to super high flow end mufflers with smallish ID piping

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
heck yes it is. I was expecting it to sound like an axle back, but to be honest its one of the best axlebacks ive heard. Once a midpipe gets made with a nice big resonator this will be a beautiful exhaust.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TinTin, that's a very nicely done clip! Many thanks. The sound is excellent!

You mentioned earlier that there's a little droning in the cabin when on the highway. In your opinion, how bad is it and can you post a sound clip of it?

BTW, in the video clip above, where did you put the camera in the last segment of the clip?

Again, thanks for posting this. I think I'll bite!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I put the camera in the little din tray under the radio. towards the end of the clip I was in 6th going about 70 km/h and you can hear almost no drone or no exhaust noise.

When i hear the drone its at 100 km/h+ it also doesnt help though that you are feeding gas to keep up at that speed.

I can post a video sooner or later.

Keep in mind that with a proper midpipe and a long resonator i think that the drone could be minimized or almost completely diminished.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts