Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
^ put a deposit down, lets get a group buy started. Im thinking 2 or 2.25 inches. (i had a K before so im partial to larger exhausts, lol)
do you really dislike your hks midpipe? i remember you saying it's not much bigger than stock, but i thought its a 50mm midpipe (2 inches).

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
i like the idea, dolphin tips are always dope. id be curious to see the results of a full 2.5 inch. One last thing, no disrespect but is that the final piece? its not very appealing, meaning all nice a polished up like other exhaust.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
do you really dislike your hks midpipe? i remember you saying it's not much bigger than stock, but i thought its a 50mm midpipe (2 inches).
nope the pipe isnt that big (2inches), im pretty sure of it. i dont dislike it but i know there is more power to be had elsewhere (with a bigger pipe.)

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
i spoke to Sean @ P2R when he was making the downpipe and he was telling me the stock piping is REALLY small... some of the smallest piping he's seen on a Honda... he didn't measure it but he mentioned the inside diameter is no bigger than 2 fingers (about 1.5") and that's the INSIDE of the piping which is the important part...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well as of right now I don't have a CR-Z to make the pipe if I did make it it would make power. The HKS is actually a tiny tiny bit smaller then 2 inches thats not much bigger then stock.

The one in the picture is the rough finished but there will be polished, black, and even a gold but that's up to presales that we plan to start.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
For all, im getting one and going to make a high quality video of the sound of the exhaust for KSK

I also plan on painting the rough tip black anyways. As mentioned, i like the stealth look.

Video should be up early april.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
i like the idea, dolphin tips are always dope. id be curious to see the results of a full 2.5 inch. One last thing, no disrespect but is that the final piece? its not very appealing, meaning all nice a polished up like other exhaust.
im in talks with a dyno shop here that makes exhausts for subarus. Im gonna try to drop off my stock midpipe and have them make me 2 replacements - a 2.25 and a 2.5 with a resonator inline. Im gonna try to dyno both back to back and see what happens. No promises - i hope i can make this happen. If not i hope someone has a 2+ inch midpipe available in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would love to buy the exhaust in black with the turn down tip and a big ol mid pipe to go with it!

Tintin you said it...exhaust is the first performance mod I do to everything I own just for the sound and a nice side effect of some extra ponies doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
205 Posts
make a midpipe and i forecast large sales numbers in your future especially if it is priced similarly to your axelback.... a few of us are looking for turndown tips...
I agree if you offer this I will buy it. As long as all of the bends are at it's factory location. I have diffrent plans for my choice of axle back. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok once I sell enough axle backs to cover the development and production of of the mid pipe I will make it, and the customers who have purchased the axle back will receive a discounted price on it of course.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I want to hear this thing...If it sounds good to me I will buy asap. Then mid pipe will follow as soon as its available!

·
Registered
664 Posts
looks good! i can't wait for the vid!

question though, im just wondering if the stock piping is less than 2", wouldn't there be a loss of TOO MUCH backpressure if trying to push towards the 2.5" mark? making this 2.25" axleback (with hopefully a matching midpipe) perfect for our cars? i know on my rsx, stock piping was 2.25" and aftermarket had a couple 2.36" and predominantly 2.5", leaving 3" diameters for turbo. im not a motorhead or anything like that, i was just asking based on the diameter discrepancies from stock. i know more flow means more power, but is there such a thing as too much flow?

·
Registered
108 Posts
^ There is such a thing as too much flow, but with the muffler in place it shouldn't be an issue. If I remember correctly I think some people were taking the exhaust off and just putting a turn down right off of the down pipe(I wouldn't recommend or do that) without any issues.

I can't wait to hear it, then my exhaust will be 2/3 the way done.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Funny thing about back pressure. It basically will just define where you will make the most power. As it can be restrictive if its too high, too little backpressure or none can sometimes make you lose power in the low end. Basically the bigger the piping the more top end you are going to get.

On the R18 i found 2.25" to be perfect for mid to high end gains. Perfect for the everyday driving rpm's.

I would assume that the same diameter piping on our little 1.5's would give the same effects. with slightly more top end. Though, the dyno graphs shown in the thread show decent gains low end as well.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts