Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's get some activity going!

Ok so as everyone here is aware the CR-Z is promised to be a sporty fuel sipper. TDI's already exist in this role. But the Jetta pretty much excites me as much as a beige camry. Torqey but you know it's an economy car.

But VW is doing a limited run TDI cup edition car. Same suspention, brakes, sway bars, interior goodies as the GLI. Plus the EPA underappreciated diesel motor.

If you were in the market for a sporty fuel saver: which flavor?

CR-Z: under $25K hopefully
- sub 9 second 0-60
- sporty handeling... Again hopefully
- available... At some point....

Jetta TDI cup: under $25K with stick
- 8.4ish 0-60
- handles like the GLI
- torks that doesn't depend on a battery change

pic:

·
Registered
83 Posts
CRZ vote here. Although it seems like the VW will be faster and possible better handling, I can't stand the looks. VW's do not look sporty in the slightest bit to me. I want a car that I can drive around and people will take notice, which I think the CRZ will do

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a love/hate feeling towards VW's. My experience was with an '02 GTI which I loved to drive - solid, nice design and a strong engine. Unfortunately, it's well known that VW's aren't built well. My car had several small issues that were considered "normal" for a VW, but I didn't like going to the dealer for service every other week. After both of my power windows failed in succession (and I had to wait days for parts) I gave up and got rid of it.

I know there are people that swear by the brand, but VW can't hold a candle to Japanese reliability. I really like the new TDI's (I admit that VW's are lots of fun to drive) and have been lurking over on the Vortex; the 2010 TDI's are already having build issues. One poor guy has an incomplete weld that leaks water whenever it rains. Another fellow's TDI didn't have a standard part installed at the factory. VW is, of course, fighting with the customers over these problems.

Buy a VW if you like, but don't be surprised if you get to know your dealer's service department very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove a friends VW jetta and it just was not as exciting as my honda. The interior was mundane and the exterior was average. Maybe the car and the company is just not my cup of tea. Nevertheless, I will definitely be going with the crz!

·
Registered
3 Posts
regardless of how fast or slow the CRZ is , i believe it will be extremely peppy and fun to drive, plus you cannot beat the reliability of honda, so ill always side with the crz

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm reliability is probably the often forgot reasoning. Only remembered once something breaks or leaks.:eek:

Jetta just has the available now appeal. I can wait but damn Honda with the witholding of details trend.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anyone else think there is a huge amount of grill on that VW....looks like the car has braces :lol: It does have 4 seats however

·
Registered
24 Posts
CRZ vote here. Although it seems like the VW will be faster and possible better handling, I can't stand the looks. VW's do not look sporty in the slightest bit to me. I want a car that I can drive around and people will take notice, which I think the CRZ will do
now if they sold the Diesel Scirroco (sp??) here in the US we may have a different discussion on our hands... but as for the Jetta--- pass... CRZ all the way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actually the CRZ is likely to have a starting price around $19k according the the Car and Driver info from the Press Conference (Base model with 6-mt). I would imagine the TDI cup will likely have a starting price around $26k or so.

If those prices prove true, then the CRZ is a much better value and would be my choice. Price aside, though, I would have to take the TDI

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't like the looks of the Jetta personally, if the CRZ delivers driving wise it would be more appealing I think.

Problem is that we *do* get the Scirocco here, and that's a different story.

Costs around 21 k EUR with the 122 PS TSI petrol engine + blue motion eco stuff and an OK spec. Performance with that "slow" version is quite similar to the CRZ (0-62 mph in 9,7 secs, 200 kph vmax, ~ 33 mpg real world consumption according to various owners).

I really hope Honda Germany get the pricing right. Somehow we end up paying USD figures in Euros most of the time, and for over 20k EUR this will be a tough sell.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I'd update the thread. Spent some time at the VW dealer we have locally. Between the stealership and its 2 sister locations they have zero of these on site with no expectation of receiving any. Sales guy informed me the only way to see one is to either put a deposit down for an order or wait till an order comes for another customer and hope they decline.

From the sound of it you place a deposit and dealer tells VWoA what options you want. Cars are being built with dealer orders in mind. As such the only order the dealer has so far received are for loaded DSG models with additional dealer options added once they arrive. I was almost laughed at for wanting one close to MSRP as all the hopefuls are prepared to pay 30K out the door for a loaded car with installed wheels and other goodies.

No Jetta for me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wouldn't let this situation upset you. Although TDI's may hold their resale value well (and that depends on many factors), the economics don't hold up to reality. In my area of the country, diesel fuel is about $0.40/gallon more costly than regular gasoline. Paying forty cents more per gallon kinda rains on the slightly higher-mileage parade of the TDI.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This is rather interesting. Motor Trend did a comparo between the CR-Z and the Golf TDI. The commentary isn't particularly kind to the CR-Z. But look at the performance stats closely: amazingly similar results thru the gears.

CRZ vs TDI Test Data

·
Registered
579 Posts
This whole thing about comparing the crz to other cars is getting old. Let the car just be. The cars you guys are comparing it to are boring anyway. The car is in its own class. A real comparison would be against another hybrid. I dont like it when pple compare gas/electric hybrid to a diesel car. Or gas vs diesel. It's just silly. Let it go.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This whole thing about comparing the crz to other cars is getting old. Let the car just be. The cars you guys are comparing it to are boring anyway. The car is in its own class. A real comparison would be against another hybrid. I dont like it when pple compare gas/electric hybrid to a diesel car. Or gas vs diesel. It's just silly. Let it go.
Oh boo hoo. The CRZ has been in the US market for one week now, and real world comparisons are growing old? It's gonna suck to be you over the next few weeks. ;)

On most auto blogs the response to the CRZ has been ignorant and hostile. Because most of the early results were rather tepid with 10+ second 0-60 times and lackluster mpg averages. And the motoring public is very confused and misinformed about what the CR-Z is good at, if anything.

Take a look at the majority of these comments and you'll see what I mean:
Autoblog Review: 2011 Honda CR-Z

That review (and reactions) were published today.

A VW TDI is rather highly regarded as an efficient car that's fun to drive in it's own right. And a benchmark for comparison because of it's popularity. Hybrids vs. Diesel comparisons will be around for awhile. More than half of the cars are diesel in some countries. The TDI is a known commodity among auto enthusiasts.

The key thing that the CRZ owner base needs to do is to get the word out that this car is fun to drive, and the acceleration and economy are quite decent. Comparisons that dispel the notion that it's a underpowered, poor handling, poorly designed hybrid are welcome in my book.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I laughed when they said "it isnt worth to have the sports car badge" It's a "sporty" car, like a prelude or civic si.

No shit sherlock.
Fucking idiots.

I get your point JnC and i appreciate it, but i still dont give a shit about what a reviewer says. All I trust is what i know. This review was more tamed this time. But nevertheless, I know what I like. And I really like the crz. That's good enough for me. Reviews are taken with a grain of salt. The ultimate decision is the buyer. When they sit inside and drive the car. If they like it, then everything a reviewer had said goes out the window. Now it's based on what you think. One person may hate it, another may like it. In the end, if you like it, then that's all that matters. We could compare cars all day long. And still people would buy the crz, even though there are "better" cars out there. Better is all relative in the end.

*tips hat*

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey borcth, I really like the CRZ too. :hi5: And think your comment about the ultimate decision being with the buyer is spot on.

What the Autoblog reviewer says doesn't interest me as much as the comments. There's a large amount of "negative mindshare" about this car. It seems to be rather controversial: 145+ comments in one day for that one article. I think most commenters repeat what they've heard instead of trying it out themselves. And given all of this negative press, most folks aren't bothering to go for a test drive at a dealership. (I know I nearly didn't.) Their minds are made up that it's a flop. Because there's little or no feedback from those who have driven or own the car.

Even the salesman at a Honda dealership laughed while I was waiting for an appointment last week. He said, "I don't know who they built this car for. It makes no sense." And this came from someone who was employed and trained by Honda.

I think comparisons are important because it can be referenced to something you're familiar with. When the Honda engineers said that the CR-Z was heavily influenced by the Scirocco, Mini, and Elise, that hit home for me. Because I've owned 2.5 of them ;). (I'm counting my departed Golf as half of a modern Scirocco).

I think people have crazy & unrealistic expectations for this car. When it doesn't quite meet expectations, the readership seems to get confused and upset. Maybe the reaction is barometer of pent-up demand for Honda to get back to their roots.

All I know is for myself, the CRZ appears it will perform well in the role of an everyday commuter car. That, plus one bit of unmeasurable something that Clarkson alluded to in his review: "it made me happy".

Cheers!

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you feel the CRZ is misrepresented in reviews (and I agree for the most part), I say get the word out. I, for one, have experienced mpg in excess of those advertised. Whenever I see a blog post to complain about the CRZ mileage I'm sure to post my personal experience, as I did in that autoblog review. That's probably the best we can do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts