Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Hyundai announced the US version of the 2012 Accent today (link) and I have to admit they're really firing on all four cylinders. The thing manages to get more or less the same amount of power and mileage as the CR-Z without the use of hybrid technology. It's also offered with a 6 speed manual. All for $2k or so less than the CR-Z... It's like the Fit I've always wanted!! Should Granted there aren't any behind-the-wheel reviews out yet, but Honda be worried?

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
The 2011 Accent I bought for the fleet this winter was a nice car for the price, but I wouldn't call it an even competitor for the CR-Z. "Noisy little rattle trap" is what I would probably call it. But it will get you from A to B very economically. My wife still pines for her Hyundai Pony - her favourite car - which lived on forever. I'm thinking you'd enjoy the CR-Z more while driving, but perhaps your bank statement more if you owned the Hyundai.

I'm with Zodiak - the Honda to compare it with is the Fit, or the Toyota Yaris, and I'd take either of those over the Hyundai. The Hyundai warranty is excellent, but keep in mind that I have two Toyota Echo's in the fleet with over 200,000 miles and a third with over 300k.

If you do go Korean, keep in mind that the 2012 Kia Rio will probably be the same automobile, but may have a slightly better warranty still (Kia roadside assistance in Canada is longer than with Hyundai - go figure :think::think::think: ).

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Accent is a great and economical four door sedan IF you have a family. But 40 years from now when you go to a Car Show, you will notice there are NOT any four door sedans...only sporty two door roadsters and coupes, most of which were VERY stylish in their day. And there's a good chance the CR-Z be on the field, looking good among the others. Will you say, "Damn...I wish I had bought one?" Or, "Geez...that was a great car...wish I still had it!"

So what do you need? A nice family car, or a fun driving experience with lots of style? They're two different things, each serving a purpose.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have to say it looks like a very nice inexpensive little car. I am impressed by the 6 speed manual.

I am certain that the Fit will soundly trounce it in any car magazine comparison, but nevertheless a very nice effort from the consistently improving Hyundai.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is exactly the reason why I held off on getting a CRZ-EX 6MT in Milano Red. The car in the link above is a nice looking car. Less sporty and with four doors, but the main reason is because there is no hybrid technology in the car and it is boasting razor sharp similarities in gas mileage against the CR-Z and the base model starts at $12K. This makes me hold on to my cash! by the time I spend an extra $8K on gas with this car, I would have sold it off already and that would be starting price for a CR-Z.

I don't care about the CR-Z's lack of power. In my test drive, it was plentiful for it's purpose. I have not yet seen a hatch that matches the good looks for the CR-Z, but if you are putting hybrid technology in a "2 seater car" for $20K, you better be offering me at least an EASY 50MPG without even trying and driving it like a race car driver. I said it before and I'll say it again, if the CR-Z 6MT would have gotten 60MPG like the original insight, the CR-Z would be in my garage by now! I'll wait it out and see what the 2012 CRZ has to offer!

Nice catch on that hyundai!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would want to see real world combined mpg tank numbers. Direct comparisons of EPA mpg estimates between a gasser and a hybrid are not accurate due to all of the correction factors and the ability to game the test result.

Myself and many other CR-Z real world overall mpg combined tank averages exceed the published EPA number for hwy. I don't see that happening with a non-hybrid car with a 10 mpg delta between city/hwy estimates.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would want to see real world combined mpg tank numbers. Direct comparisons of EPA mpg estimates between a gasser and a hybrid are not accurate due to all of the correction factors and the ability to game the test result.

Myself and many other CR-Z real world overall mpg combined tank averages exceed the published EPA number for hwy. I don't see that happening with a non-hybrid car with a 10 mpg delta between city/hwy estimates.
Thats the beautiful thing about a hybrid, you can easily get the higher end of the range consistantly versus and non-hybrid

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't care about the CR-Z's lack of power. In my test drive, it was plentiful for it's purpose. I have not yet seen a hatch that matches the good looks for the CR-Z, but if you are putting hybrid technology in a "2 seater car" for $20K, you better be offering me at least an EASY 50MPG without even trying and driving it like a race car driver. I said it before and I'll say it again, if the CR-Z 6MT would have gotten 60MPG like the original insight, the CR-Z would be in my garage by now! I'll wait it out and see what the 2012 CRZ has to offer!

Nice catch on that hyundai!
Of course you might not care for the CR-Zs lack of power, but the Insight might be a different matter. It was rated on the old HP scale at 67 hp, probably something like 60-63 with our current rating system. The manual weighed in at 1880 due to its aluminum construction. Still, the mileage ratings for that car were very impressive. However, you have to remember that the EPA changed the way they certify cars between then and now (just as they changed the way they rate horsepower), so in today's test cycle it would not churn out the same 60 mile per gallon numbers.

So when you really break it down for CR-Z isn't that far off all things considered. It has almost (quite literally) twice the horsepower, and 900 pounds more weight. It can easily return high 30s to low 40s in combined, while being entertaining to drive. In all honesty, the Insight was not entertaining to drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Of course you might not care for the CR-Zs lack of power, but the Insight might be a different matter. It was rated on the old HP scale at 67 hp, probably something like 60-63 with our current rating system. The manual weighed in at 1880 due to its aluminum construction. Still, the mileage ratings for that car were very impressive. However, you have to remember that the EPA changed the way they certify cars between then and now (just as they changed the way they rate horsepower), so in today's test cycle it would not churn out the same 60 mile per gallon numbers.

So when you really break it down for CR-Z isn't that far off all things considered. It has almost (quite literally) twice the horsepower, and 900 pounds more weight. It can easily return high 30s to low 40s in combined, while being entertaining to drive. In all honesty, the Insight was not entertaining to drive.
well, that's true.... the main reason is that I am getting 44mpg (now that it's warmer) on my 2002 prius (without even trying...ok...maybe just a tad :cool:) but that car has 4 doors and rear seats. Being this car is 10 years old and a 1st gen prius, it's not getting 50mpg like it's younger brothers... if the crz did get 50mpg or even better... I think, In my opinion, Honda would be sold out of CRZ's and would be the top car to get for the single/couple young pro's out there . Toyota is stated to come out with their concept "c" next year... I'll wait it out.... but I'm rooting for the CRZ. It's just too damn sexy!

·
Registered
693 Posts
well, that's true.... the main reason is that I am getting 44mpg (now that it's warmer) on my 2002 prius (without even trying...ok...maybe just a tad :cool:) but that car has 4 doors and rear seats. Being this car is 10 years old and a 1st gen prius, it's not getting 50mpg like it's younger brothers... if the crz did get 50mpg or even better... I think, In my opinion, Honda would be sold out of CRZ's and would be the top car to get for the single/couple young pro's out there . Toyota is stated to come out with their concept "c" next year... I'll wait it out.... but I'm rooting for the CRZ. It's just too damn sexy!
I would agree that had the CRZ been delivered as a 50+mpg car, it would have been a big hit and the sales numbers would probably have been double. But this assumes that it's price would have been similar to what it is. And if the CRZ carried a full hybrid system like a Prius, it would have had to be sold at a price at least $2500 higher.

The Prius hybrid system is far more complicated and it carries more than double the battery capacity (and weight) of the CRZ. Honda's IMA system give the CRZ the right to be called a hybrid, but it is a "mild" hybrid and this makes it less expensive to produce. The trade-off for this lower build cost and complexity is lower fuel economy than could be achieved with a full hybrid system. Two other benefits of the IMA system is lighter weight and this helps the CRZ maintain it's sportier handling and application to a manual transmission.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Two other benefits of the IMA system is lighter weight and this helps the CRZ maintain it's sportier handling and application to a manual transmission.
As far as I can see, there is no way to do a manual transmission with Toyota's HSD. Conversely, there is no way to match the HSD EPA fuel economy with the current IMA system. Since we only drive manuals, this it became a moot point but for someone buying an auto, there is more to think about. (including Insight, and Civic Hybrid)

·
Registered
94 Posts
The new 4th gen Accent looks rather nice, but wish they would have made a 2 door version, not a big fan of 4 door hatchbacks myself.

My current car is the current(3rd gen) Accent, and overall I rather like it, the sport tuned suspension lets it handles corners quite well, and the dealership offered CAI gives the engine a nice noise. Have had it about 3 years now with no major problems.

However as soon as I saw the CR-Z I fell in love with it and plan on getting one as soon as I am able to. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Accent is a great and economical four door sedan IF you have a family. But 40 years from now when you go to a Car Show, you will notice there are NOT any four door sedans...only sporty two door roadsters and coupes, most of which were VERY stylish in their day. And there's a good chance the CR-Z be on the field, looking good among the others. Will you say, "Damn...I wish I had bought one?" Or, "Geez...that was a great car...wish I still had it!"

So what do you need? A nice family car, or a fun driving experience with lots of style? They're two different things, each serving a purpose.

:yeahthat:

i swapped my 09 civic 2 door for my crz, we kept the 4 door civic for family outings. so we have our "toy" and a car :) didnt buy it for fuel economy, bouht if for the looks and to own an extremely nice car..... used to own and love the crz's

·
Registered
609 Posts
also what about crash test results - I didn't check for the new Accent, but did look at the 2009 Accent recently as one of our kids was thinking of buying one, and for the size of vehicle, it didn't do well. I just posted on another thread that when it came to insuring the CRZ, it was much cheaper than several other cars due to good safety features and the hybrid technology.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If someone is interested in the Hyundai Accent, then the CR-Z is NOT the Honda they should be considering. Such a buyer should be looking at the Honda Insight.

The CR-Z is for those buyers willing to pay a little more, and get a little less MPG, for a car that is just more fun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.