Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been researching cars a ton lately, and one of the cars I found was the Ford Fiesta (also the Fit and Mazda2, very similar). I wanted to point out that this car is very similar to the CR-Z, and has some advantages and disadvantages. It weights a good 200 lbs less than the CR-Z, seats four, is cheaper, and gets about the same mpg (40mpg highway).

I wanted to ask you guys what you thought about this car compared to the CR-Z. The Fiesta is also offered with a manual transmission, and is able to go 0-60 in approx 8.7 seconds, about the same as the cr-z. Right?

Btw here are some pics of it in case you havent seen it. What do u think of the looks?

Fiesta:

& the mazda 2:

vs:

^sexy

Matt

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
but if you don't buy it for the mpg u might as well buy a car with a decent sized engine and hs/torque and hav more fun, no? :p
No. MPG is just a sort of expected bonus.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The fiesta is a nice car, but the Honda Fit blows it away in every single measurable way, including fuel economy where Fit like me owners report real world 35 mpg combined average. The CRZ beats this by 3 mpg and is superior in style, while the Fit regeins in acceleration and space utility.

But if you can't get a Fit or a CRZ, then the fiesta looks like a nice "other" choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fiesta is a nice car, but the Honda Fit blows it away in every single measurable way, including fuel economy where Fit owners report real world 35 mpg combined average and Fiesta owners report 33 mpg. The CRZ beats both by 3 and 5 mpg respectively and is superior in style, while the Fit regeins in acceleration and space utility.

But if you can't get a Fit or a CRZ, then the fiesta looks like a nice "other" choice.
Well I ruled out the Fit just because of how ugly looking it is, in my opinion. I've heard of higher avg mpg than 33 on the Fiesta. But ya I agree, I think i'm pretty much decided on the cr-z ... i'm just going over my alternatives one more time :]

·
Registered
669 Posts
but if you don't buy it for the mpg u might as well buy a car with a decent sized engine and hs/torque and hav more fun, no? :p
Actually I don't see what you're saying here. The Fiesta has a .1 liter larger engine, 1.6 L versus 1.5 for the CR-Z. It has less horsepower (119) versus 122 and significantly less torque. The Honda IMA system combined with the gasoline engine makes 128 pounds of torque at 1000 RPM versus 109 at 4250 RPM. Also, it seems that the Fiesta is only slightly lighter than the CR-Z at 2575 pounds versus 2650 pounds. Definitely not a 200 pound difference.

Finally, the Fiesta is a little bit cheaper than a EX CR-Z but once they are comparably equipped the gap narrows considerably. And most of that would probably be eaten up by the expected better resale value for the Honda.

The Fiesta also lacks: drive by wire throttle, rear wheel disc brakes, a rear stabilizer bar, hill start assist (probably a good feature for a first-time manual transmission driver), brake assist, automatic climate control, xenon high intensity discharge headlights, automatic headlights, fog lights a leather wrapped steering wheel (CR-Z EX), seat height adjustment, and more.

Sorry, but I just don't see how the Fiesta stacks up very well here. If I was forced to choose between the Fiesta and the Fit, I agree that the Fiesta looks a little better. But I don't think it looks better than the CR-Z.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Honestly, from my point of view comparing a CR-Z to Fiesta or a M2 is like comparing an S2000 to a WRX or Lancer. The CR-Z is a 3-door, the Fiesta and M2 are 5-doors, how on earth can you compare them to each other? In my mind if you have the need for the function of a 5-door you cannot even consider a 3-door, and if you like the sporty 2-seater 3-door how could you live with a 5-door?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Comparing a Honda to a Ford? They've only ever made 1 car that is worth mentioning, and it doesn't even have the Ford logo on the grille ;)
I could not disagree more, but I have no idea what Ford is like in Norway, so you may be totally right for there.

Over here though, Ford is doing an amazing job, and they are the only American automaker that figured out they had a problem in advance and reorganized their company before the financial crisis and then never asked the US people to bail their asses out, like Chevy and Chrysler did.

I think the Fiesta and for sure the Focus are very good products. And I'm here to say, if Ford would make the Focus ST in a 3-door, 247hp, 266ft-lbs, I would buy it in a second, because that would be far superior to any so called hotter version of the CR-Z Honda may make.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I test drove a Fiesta before I heard of the CR-Z. It drives fine, but the rear seat is useless and it really should be a two door; I'd rather have the Z's trays than useless seats. The ****pit isn't as roomy, there's no comparison with the dash, and the Fiesta's console area is plain ugly. I can't quite remember, but I believe the trunk/cargo area was smaller. Really the only thing from the Fiesta that would be nice to have on the Z is the gas tank cap.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I test drove a fiesta and it has no balls. While it handles superbly, much better than the crz, its engine lacks proper mapping in order to return high mileage. While its engine is rated at 120 hp, it feels as anemic and worthless as my 80 hp 1.5L 8 valve on my EG with overweighted 15" wheels. Ive heard that a re tune helps significantly but I don't see the point in modding such a new car from the get go, might as well buy a used car that is faster to begin with and don't have to ruin a warranty.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If Ford makes this and sells it here, I will buy this over the CR-Z so called hot version to come.

Fiesta with 1.6 EcoBoost, Ford's name for turbo
I think this thing looks great, and the 1.6 could very well be in the 200hp range as their 2.0 EcoBoost is 247hp and 266ft-lbs

2011 Ford Fiesta ST EcoBoost - Spied - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

·
Registered
812 Posts
When I loaned my CRZ to K&N, they left me with a Fiesta sedan for a week. Based on my experience with some other compact Americans (Chevy HHR, smh) the fiesta is not too bad. Much quicker to 70 than the CRZ is, solid handling and a surprisingly enormous trunk. The interior was the most frustrating for me - "fancy" changing lights and other features that just seem tacky, and incredibly nonintuitive controls (I've never been in a car where the door lock button is on the center console, who does that?)
I was glad to get my crz back but I could see how a fiesta would be a decent option for anyone who has faith in American engineering.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I could not disagree more, but I have no idea what Ford is like in Norway, so you may be totally right for there.
Well we don't get by far as many models as you do. And they had a period a few years back where the quality was poor.

They may be good cars, but it is mainly Japanese, Swedish and German cars that do well on the market here. For my region I believe the top three best selling cars were VW, Volvo and Toyota in that order. The Ford Mondeo came in as #13 on the list and had a 20% decline in sales from last quarter.

VAG, MB and BMW are the most popular in the luxury class and in the econ class Toyota have most of the market it seems. At least in my circles when you mention an American car, it is usually in regard to a classic.

My views and comments are biased though, so I'm sorry if I offended anyone ;) I had such a bad experience with Audi that I will not go back there. I've also never really liked Mercedes. So that leaves me with BMW and a bunch of Japanese sports cars. I got into Japanese cars through my dad, since he owned a lot of sports cars up through the years. Supra, Celica, Subaru XT, S2000++

He got the S2000 the year after I got my license, so naturally that turned me onto Hondas ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
The fiesta is a nice car, but the Honda Fit blows it away in every single measurable way ...
True but for one thing.

When I was researching cars I knocked the FIT of the list pretty soon and the Fiesta stayed around for a while.

I just ... and it's probably just me ... I don't like the look of the FIT.
The shape is just ugly to me.

It's like someone used a shrink-ray on a minivan ... and the result is even uglier because the proportions are all jacked up.

The fiesta looks so much better imo.

Of course the CRZ solidly stomps them both in the looks department.
So glad I found the CRZ.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The only reason I'd consider the Fiesta is if I had to have stock leather seats. Otherwise it wasn't all the marketing hypes it up to be.

I test drove a Fiesta SES before buying the Honda and found the DSG trasmission to be a little clunky around town. The cars SYNC system is cool but there are no short cuts using vocal commands so even changing a song would be a chore. No HID's and the premium sound system in the Ford is only 80 watts.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Honestly, from my point of view comparing a CR-Z to Fiesta or a M2 is like comparing an S2000 to a WRX or Lancer. The CR-Z is a 3-door, the Fiesta and M2 are 5-doors, how on earth can you compare them to each other? In my mind if you have the need for the function of a 5-door you cannot even consider a 3-door, and if you like the sporty 2-seater 3-door how could you live with a 5-door?
Most of the comparisons is going to come from the price similarities. When customers are on a budget they are going to assemble a list of cars that are within a certain price range (say, for example under $20,000). Then they'll start whittling down the list based on their individual selection criteria.

I can say in my situation the number of doors does not matter. What mattered to me was the availability of a six speed manual, a fun-to-drive nature, high-intensity discharge headlights, built in Bluetooth and iPod connectivity, and excellent fuel economy. Seating for two people or four people and the number of doors was not a selection criteria at all, nor was utility or cargo carrying capacity.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.