Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW SO what is the towing capacity of a CR-Z ???
Dont know.. I cant find it anywhere... although I havent checked the overseas sites yet....:popcorn:

probably only enough for a bike rack... i'll be grabbing one soon thanks!
Cool! That is the main reason I posted about the hitch.. so we can carry our bikes and skis! Let us know how it goes... I am interested!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
One page 194 of the owners manual:

The maximum load limit for your vehicle is 400 lbs. This figure includes the total weight of all occupants, cargo, and accessories, and the torque load if you towing a trailer.​

And, on page 196, contradictory information, saying you shouldn't tow:

Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties.​

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone installed a tow hitch yet? I have purchased other tow hitches from here before 2011 Honda CR-Z Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com and they normally have more videos and pictures. Installation difficulty: 7 of 10 and provides these notes: 1) Exhaust must be temporarily lowered for hitch installation 2) Access holes will need to be enlarged by drilling, filing, or rotary tool. 3) Underbody panel(s) must be trimmed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties.​
This has me very concerned. I just bought a 2011 CR-Z a few days ago and planned to add a hitch only for my bike rack, but risking voiding a warranty, especially on a brand new hybrid, is huge. Can just the presence of a hitch give Honda a blanket loophole to deny warranty work, should any be necessary? Has anyone had or heard of such a situation? If I can't use my bike rack, I wish I could have my 2002 Accord back!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This has me very concerned. I just bought a 2011 CR-Z a few days ago and planned to add a hitch only for my bike rack, but risking voiding a warranty, especially on a brand new hybrid, is huge. Can just the presence of a hitch give Honda a blanket loophole to deny warranty work, should any be necessary? Has anyone had or heard of such a situation? If I can't use my bike rack, I wish I could have my 2002 Accord back!

Your bike rack isn't a trailer. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
:yeahthat: not to mention, when they mean voiding your warranty... they don't mean the entire thing... if your engine blows up, they will still fix it...
Unless it's due to over working your engine to tow a trailer. They tell you to f off. Same if you break a suspension component.

You guys worried about voiding the warranty for having a hitch for a bike rack need to stop and look. A bike rack is not a trailer. If you're not able to install it, I highly recommend taking it to the dealership. While there, let them know it'll be for a bike rack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Then there's the 400 lb. payload limit. My girlfriend and I and a week's worth of luggage would exceed the 400 lbs., plus two 30-lb. bikes, the hitch and rack, that's got to be well over 100 lbs. in excess of the cargo capacity. According to the manual, it sounds like the problem is with the tires. As for the trunk mounted rack, I've gone that route and then switched to a hitch mount, and it's so much nicer in many ways. To go back to strap-on rack would be kinda like going back to high school. The CR-Z is great for going to work, but I'm having serious doubts about its usefulness as an ONLY car for a couple who travels a lot with bikes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.