Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With past front wheel drives at the traffic light, I'd rev over 3,000 rpm then modulate my clutch release with throttle adjustment to avoid wheel hop or excessive wheel spin and counter the torque steer for maximum acceleration. The CR-Z stability control uses braking to counter torque steer and prevent wheel spin, and braking is the enemy of horsepower. The official posted 0 to 60 times vary from 8.3 seconds to a frequently published 10 plus seconds result. Are these 10 second times with the stability control on and was the 8.3 seconds time made with the stability control off?

·
Registered
579 Posts
The 10 seconds times were done with VSA on usually on. But people with 6MT turning off VSA got around mid 8"s I believe. Your logic is correct.

It is also notable that some of those 10 second times could have been of the CVT model and not 6MT. Depending if they mentioned which tranny was used.

There was a fellow member on here with a 6MT who got mid 8's. I'm not sure if he had VSA on or off...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. My 6MT has bottom end torque and if moved from stop like a non-hybrid, it will smoke the Bridgestone Turanza's, squeal, and follow a zig-zag path similar to the VSA button icon (with VSA stability on). New tires would help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had the VSA off during 95% of my test drive...

I found with VSA on, even with a totally smooth relaxed clutch engagement and then gas pedal to the floor the grunt was too much for the crappy tires and VSA was throwing out an anchor on me.

As you said, this car does not have enough omph to go and have the electronic system rob some of it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yup! All the time. And ECON too.

Generally, I don't see it activating. Occasionally when I launch hard and spin the tires or launch hard on wet pavement it lights up.

However, today it was raining hard and there were big puddles (and tornado watches!). I drove through a puddle on the right and felt the car pull right and saw the Stabiligty Control light come on. Not sure what good it really did but it will come on if you start slipping.

Nice to have but not really needed!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I never turn mine off. Spin my tires fairly regularly (when Im not used to sport mode, or wearing thick soled shoes or something), so it's not stopping that. Does the light come on whenever it does its thing? I've never seen it illuminate.

·
Registered
379 Posts
VSA on I had about a 9.5
VSA off I got about 8.5 to 60 according to "torque" app

The VSA in most cars is very intrusive. If I'm driving for fun off it goes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
VSA on I had about a 9.5
VSA off I got about 8.5 to 60 according to "torque" app

The VSA in most cars is very intrusive. If I'm driving for fun off it goes.
good to know. unfortunately, i can't stand the acceleration in econ mode, but i have to stay in it most of the time 'cause gas prices in southern cal are ridiculous. hopefully turning off the VSA will give some improvement in econ.

·
Registered
379 Posts
To be honest on everyday driving I don't see much of a difference between the driving modes. If anything sport b/c it powers up the electric motor quicker may do better. I average 39-41 pretty much no matter what I do.

·
Registered
271 Posts
VSA off will have no MPG improvement unless you drive stop and go like a game console. Most of us drive with VSA engaged as you have to switch it off every time you start the car. That said I have only seen/felt it do negative things for me. Any time you get any wheel hop or encounter differential traction you will get a blip of BRAKE. (90 degree corners with a slight dip, speed bumps taken diagonally with a little hop, patches of varying asphalt texture.) If I care and am paying attention to my driving I turn it off. This is a very small part of my total driving ( <10%) I guess most of the time if you are sleeping it will keep you from doing something stupid and looping the car. If you are hard into the right pedal you might find it annoying K

·
Registered
480 Posts
To be honest on everyday driving I don't see much of a difference between the driving modes. If anything sport b/c it powers up the electric motor quicker may do better. I average 39-41 pretty much no matter what I do.
drove to school the same route except on sport mode and was only able to squeeze out 34.2mpg as opposed to 42mpg on econ with 46mpg as a personal best.. am i being a bit heavy on the gas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Every time I get into the car I toggle on sport mode and turn off the VSA.

The VSA on the CRZ is extremely slow and very aggressive. After a couple of incidents where it did not prevent the initial wheel spin and then clamped down hard just as the tire was getting traction (and moving me into the intersection) I refused to let it stay on. On at least one occasion it nearly got me t-boned.

It is also rather annoying that any TPMS fault will cause the car to force VSA on. I'm not sure what Honda engineers thought that was going to do. If your traction issues are due to a failed tire, clamping down on the brakes isn't exactly going to help matters much. This little feature also means that a sudden drop in air temp can cause your vehicle to suddenly engage the VSA on its own (happens a fair bit during spring and fall in Texas, were it will be 80 F one minute and 50 F the next) because you dropped a couple PSI out of the "safe" zone. One would think that the giant orange information warning of a TPMS fault would be sufficient warning to the driver to be careful, but I guess not.

Honestly, I really do love my CRZ, but the inability to default to sport, default to VSA off, and not have TPMS force it back on in the middle of driving, is somewhat frustrating.

I had an original Insight (2000 model year, 5MT) and enjoyed the crazy 60-90 mpg that could deliver, but it was sometimes tiring to be fighting the assumptions programmed into the cars behaviour by Honda's engineers. The nice thing about the CRZ is that in sport mode with VSA off, the car actually does what I tell it to. A minor miracle in a hybrid. If only they had resisted their impulses to think for us elsewhere in the car.

·
Registered
379 Posts
drove to school the same route except on sport mode and was only able to squeeze out 34.2mpg as opposed to 42mpg on econ with 46mpg as a personal best.. am i being a bit heavy on the gas?
I would say yes :p

·
Registered
432 Posts
My experience with these modes has been this... If I drive the car using the exact same amount of pressure on the accelerator, then I will get better mileage in Econ than in Sport. On the other hand, if I compensate for the acceleration differences from one mode to another (less pedal in Sport and more in Econ to make it drive more like Sport), then my mileage is pretty much the same no matter what mode it is in. So, in a nutshell, if you let the different modes change your driving style by limiting acceleration (and therefore fuel consumption), then the modes work as Honda intended them to. If you hammer the gas harder to compensate when you go to Econ or Normal, then you really aren't using less fuel and mileage will be similar.

There are some differences in the IMA delivery though, and that is really what determines the mode I want to use. If I want more instant torque response, it goes into sport mode, if I want smooth power delivery and clutch engagement, I go with Normal, and if I want to hyper mile it, Econ works well because it uses a lot of IMA before sending more fuel which works well at highway speeds on semi-flat roads.

:eek:fftopic:
To get back on OP topic, I haven't personally noticed any differences with VST off or on, except when the wheels start to spin (which isn't that often in this car).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.