Registered
25 Posts
The Vette does amazingly well on Hwy cruise bcus of its big unstressed engine

You are probably right about city mpg though. Vettes not so good there

·
Registered
2 Posts
This can't be right...it better is not

A consistent 35 MPG is good in my books. If I was promised I could get that ever tank that is.
I have an '88 CRX SI with 302'000 miles on the original engine. I'm getting almost 40 mpg while driving 95 mph on the freeway with the A/C on. If this rumor is anywhere close to the true mpg, it spells failure for this car. 35 mpg for a 2 seater hybrid???? Maybe if it had 250 HP.
Honda should set the record straight, ASAP!!!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The Vette does amazingly well on Hwy cruise bcus of its big unstressed engine

You are probably right about city mpg though. Vettes not so good there
The mixed bag that is big engine performance cars. Now if we could just build a hybrid system light enough that Corvette could become a true 30+ all arounder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is impressive to be getting 40 MPG on that car CRX Wolf. Any idea what kind of MPG you are getting in the city?
If I take it easy, I think it's in the low 30's. Maybe 32 or 33 mpg. If I would drive the speed limit on the freeway I could get 44 or 45 mpg.
Bear in mind that this is the SI. I talked to a guy that had an HF. He said if he takes it easy on the freeway, he can get around 55 mpg.
I really hope for Honda that those numbers reported are not true. There are plenty of small cars out there that seat 5 and get better mpg than 32 - 35. True, you probably wouldn't wanna drive them, but they exist.
Aside from all this, I never understood why Honda stopped making the CRX after such a short period and why they didn't bring it back a few years later, after they saw that people really wanted the car to come back. Not as the Del Sol, but as a real CRX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that the CRX was a hot car but I think the numbers are a tad up there. I have a 2006 Civic SI which is getting what the assumed hybrid numbers are. I also have the 2009 Prius which is getting 44 on the highway and 51 around town. To me the numbers would have to compare to the Prius to even be considered especially for the x-tra money they will want for it.:huh:

·
Registered
122 Posts
With regard to MPG: Honda needs to remember that a lot of people anxiously awaiting this car could care less about fuel efficiency; a 2-seater is a sporty car that's much less practical than an insight or prius. If the car is going to get 40mpg and 0-60 in 9.7sec then MOST people would opt for the insight due to practicality.

A handful would still opt for the CRZ over the insight due to handling and design (the people on this forum, for example)... This car absolutely must prioritize PERFORMANCE first, and MPG second, otherwise it won't sell enough for honda to keep producing it.

I want a car that is fast when I put my foot into it, but that I can also choose to drive frugally to obtain 40mpg. This wouldn't be difficult to achieve, but we will have to wait and see what they come up with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think people are asking much of Honda, they just want a nice none watered down sports car,( Like the euro civic r with it's bar instead of independent suspension) something that is totally Honda. Most people I think what they want out of a CRZ is a 160 hp some sorta Vtec equipped, even if it's a E - Vtec, car that gets 40 MPG and is light enough to be fun to drive around like a CRX. I don't think we're asking for much. I mena we also asked for a version with Back seats in the USA. but we Know for sure they not giving us that. Im seriously thinking about Honda's new direction these days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't think people are asking much of Honda, they just want a nice none watered down sports car,( Like the euro civic r with it's bar instead of independent suspension) something that is totally Honda. Most people I think what they want out of a CRZ is a 160 hp some sorta Vtec equipped, even if it's a E - Vtec, car that gets 40 MPG and is light enough to be fun to drive around like a CRX. I don't think we're asking for much. I mena we also asked for a version with Back seats in the USA. but we Know for sure they not giving us that. Im seriously thinking about Honda's new direction these days.
Well said Shinku

·
Registered
24 Posts
just to update this... the press confrerence at NAIAS said 36 city 38 hwy which still IMO isn't very impressive if all we're getting is 122hp outta this thing...

still optimistic/crossing my fingers thoo...

·
Registered
122 Posts
just to update this... the press confrerence at NAIAS said 36 city 38 hwy which still IMO isn't very impressive if all we're getting is 122hp outta this thing...

still optimistic/crossing my fingers thoo...
I agree.. This is disappointing. Especially considering they rated the "fun" 6-mt at 31/37 (33-34 combined). My wife averages 32 mpg on every tank with her 09 Civic LX. My friend with a 2006 SI averages 29-30 mpg and gets to enjoy 197hp, not 122hp...

I have a feeling the EPA will rate the MPG higher... Something just isn't adding up with this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry I would bet the EPA will rate it lower, Honda knows there is huge pressure to get a good MPG after the backlash on the performance numbers. So if anything they would fudge in that direction. I personally think the numbers will be spot on as they know what the test is and fudging the numbers either way could only hurt them.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It would be great to see the EPA go up but I don't think we will see any sort of change.

I expect some of the owners of the CR-Z to be getting decent increases in the MPG after getting comfortable with the car and using different driving techniques - hopefully somewhere in the 40 MPG range.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Putting it all in perspective:

A car that handles as well or better than a Civic si that goes 0-60 in (likely) 8.5-9.0s and can average 35mpg in real world driving for a base price around $19k-$20k is GREAT in my opinion.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Putting it all in perspective:

A car that handles as well or better than a Civic si that goes 0-60 in (likely) 8.5-9.0s and can average 35mpg in real world driving for a base price around $19k-$20k is GREAT in my opinion.
I would agree with you on those targets. If it looked as good as the CRZ does, it would be a good car.

But it is too bad that the CRZ, with its torsion beam rear, will not handle as well as a Civic Si (it will handle like a fit sport). I think it will be priced at least $3000 higher than you have predicted. That equation really has me wondering what else I might consider.

And then there is the issue that if Honda decides to make a CRZ with the non-hybrid 160-200 hp engine, that I would prefer to the hybrid, I don't want to have already bought the hybrid. So, while before the show I was ready to go to my dealer and make a deposit for his first CRZ, now there are too many ifs for me to even consider buying a CRZ in the first year of production.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You're right: Macpherson front struts and Torsion Beam rear suspension.... WTF?? Space-saving and cost-saving measure I assume?

I have read many reviews that rave about the handling of the Fit, but still, that's a 5-door economy car. The CRZ needs 4 wheel independent double-wishbone like the original CRX to emphasize the focus on its "sporty" side.

I will still reserve my final judgement until I drive one, but it is tough to stay excited about this car

·
Registered
693 Posts
You're right: Macpherson front struts and Torsion Beam rear suspension.... WTF?? Space-saving and cost-saving measure I assume?

I have read many reviews that rave about the handling of the Fit, but still, that's a 5-door economy car. The CRZ needs 4 wheel independent double-wishbone like the original CRX to emphasize the focus on its "sporty" side.
I have a 2009 fit and it handles very well for an econobox. It has that Honda like connection to the road feel. But its ride is unrefined and while I don't autocross this car, its less than sophisticated suspension origins would likely show up in even more ways on the track.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I too am a bit disappointed with the initial specs, but I'll wait until I see/drive it before reaching my conclusion.

It certainly appears that Honda is trying to minimize complexity and cost with the suspension. Don't be too worried about things yet - even a simple suspension (if well engineered) can perform well.

I'm sure the mileage specs are pretty accurate; they may even be a bit conservative. Can someone confirm/correct me - doesn't the (current) Insight outperform its EPA numbers?

I would also love to see the high teen's for the non-navi (EX?), but I'll bet the one with the better wheels (whatever it's called) will be in the low twenties.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts