Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this week's Fifth gear, Uncle Tiff has a shoot out with Citeron DS3 and Honda CR-Z.
He drove a DS3 with a diesel engine producing 110bhp.
The CR-Z's battery ran out of juice during warm up lap. He pushed it hard.
At the end, DS3 won by 1 sec faster and more economical.
Uncle Tiff said the CR-Z was handicap by the extra weight. I'd say it needs stiffer suspension set up and a LSD.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would have been happier if he hadn't wiped the battery out on the warmup lap so the timed lap had almost no assist.
Still, I've placed my order now, and I can't see myself trotting down to the Citroen dealer anytime soon!

·
Registered
618 Posts
It looks to me like the CRZ did an one second slower lap due to his driving more than anything else.
Agreed. Any decent driver wouldn't have lifted in a corner and let the rear end come out that badly. That's a rookie mistake, but Tiff's not a rookie. It was done to make the footage more entertaining than factual.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Problem is that you cannot drive it like a normal car. The hybrid works much better IMHO when pulse driving, even when I'm driving in sport mode. I've driven in red sport mode up to the gym quite a few times and it's quite steep and windy without getting below five bars. Was interesting how the whay he drove looked (inside and out) quite different and definitely more fun in the CR-Z, but then again I'm probably bias ;)

-Hoi

·
Registered
130 Posts
Problem is that you cannot drive it like a normal car. The hybrid works much better IMHO when pulse driving, even when I'm driving in sport mode. I've driven in red sport mode up to the gym quite a few times and it's quite steep and windy without getting below five bars. Was interesting how the whay he drove looked (inside and out) quite different and definitely more fun in the CR-Z, but then again I'm probably bias ;)
And maybe you didn't go over a 100 mph with a practice lap first? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
And maybe you didn't go over a 100 mph with a practice lap first? :thumbsup:
Bingo. A track is arranged for high speeds. You could easily deplete the IMA during a warmup lap, and if you don't brake the CR-Z under gearing you're not going to charge it sufficiently for the timed lap.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed. Any decent driver wouldn't have lifted in a corner and let the rear end come out that badly. That's a rookie mistake, but Tiff's not a rookie. It was done to make the footage more entertaining than factual.
I think the video footage shown is not exactly the same as the actual lap run. Can be mix and match from a few laps video. However, I guess the actual lap can still be factual. It's just they don't visually show you the entire thing.

The CR-Z has caught back some time after a straight. It's not fast enough around corners. It is abit unstable when being pushed hard in corners but it's kind of fun. It can be due to soft suspension. When outside racetrack, that means people won't get a harsh ride.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Grassroots Motorsports mentioned during an interview with a Honda race engineer that during their (Grassroots) testing, the stock IMA system only charges the battery below 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any real road course lap comparison would of course use identical brand & model tires; I'm assuming this test used whatever came on the test cars.

I'll bet the CR-Z will take the Citroen on a US-style autocross course.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Any real road course lap comparison would of course use identical brand & model tires; I'm assuming this test used whatever came on the test cars.
That is exactly how all of the magazines and shows do their comparison test. Tires are inflated to manufacturer's recommended levels and the tests are done on the OEM tires of each vehicle.

Do you really think Top Gear (who everyone seems to think are the kings of cars these days) actually buy tires for every car they have the Stig drive around their course so they are the same? Ummmmmmmm, no.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grassroots Motorsports mentioned during an interview with a Honda race engineer that during their (Grassroots) testing, the stock IMA system only charges the battery below 4000 rpm.
Mine does charge above 4000rpm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.