Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Honda September sales across the models are off 10% compared to August. Not sure whether August is a low, normal, or high month. In any case, though, there's probably close to 10% upside independent of the recent ad campaign.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seeing sales almost double over the previous month, im not real surprised about that.

But I know there are a lot of people in the same boat as me. "Its on the way its on the way. Honda of America pushed your delivery back another month" blah blah blah.

Once all these orders are filled, assumably in the next two months, sales should really take off first of the year when production really kicks in and people are aware of the Z.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
actually if you multiply that number out per month then you get 14,832... that's just under the estimated 15,000/yr units Honda is expecting...

another thing to take into consideration it's completely a brand new model... some ppl still don't know about it... and another thing is this is usually the slow months for car sales...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Point taken

I guess I just want this car to really take.

I think its a great concept and executed as good as possible for a new concept. I don't want to so honda pull the plug on it in 3 years because they don't get amazing sales numbers

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
we're really gonna have to give the CR-Z a good SOLID few months to be able to tell where it's going... just thought about this too, even if sales don't do well here (US)... remember this car was designed for EDM markets and i believe it's selling well there and in JDM... so it's not gonna be discontinued especially with all this aftermarket support already available...

·
Registered
66 Posts
:angry:Yeah, that's just the scenario I saw with my volvo. If you owned it you loved it. But they just didn't sell. Now they have come back with "r design" which is purely cosmetic and not performance which it was originally. I only hope for good things with the Z.

Just remember we are a very select group right now, the gen pop still has to make its say in the next year

·
Registered
693 Posts
This is an"on target" sales result for the first full month of CRZ sales. Compared to most other new model sports car launches it is quite a bit low. But the CRZ, as we all know, is not a real sports car and is a hybrid in more ways than one.

If new owners, like those on this board, are happy with their cars and tell their friends, then sales will likely hold at about this target. If, after the initial enthusiast sales subside, and there is no lasting buzz created, then sales will likely drop to less than 1000/month and American Honda will be disappointed.

But keep in mind, in Japan the CRZ is still selling at 5 times this amount, while the Japanese government continues to extend hybrid incentives. So for Honda the CRZ's success in the US market is not the car's main mission. But for American Honda, who pays for the very expensive advertising blitz that we are in the middle of, the car better sell to at least this level for the next year or so, or they will have failed.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
u know, i think this number will actually go up slightly and stabilize at a slightly higher figure once things get going for the CR-Z... the biggest hurdle i think Honda has to overcome is introducing a NEW vehicle and it's intended purpose...

they only sold 12,xxx 2006 Civic Si's and Honda decided to launch a sedan the following year...

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
A thing to remember there is not a huge market for two seaters- no mater who makes them. The only one surviving is the Mazda Miata and all others have died and gone including the S2000. The fact August numbers are higher where the CR-Z was only on sale for a week and lower when it was on sale all month is troubling to me. I am well aware of different sales months and seasons. Lets not forget the holiday season is coming and sales will drop and the closer to Christmas it is the more they will do so and really wont pick back up again until tax returns start coming back to people. Also, regardless of what politicians think this country is very much still in recession on main street and no one knows for sure what is going to happen after January 1st so people aren't spending as much. The real hope for the CR-Z making it is it's great looks, being a hybrid and fun factor- only time will tell.

I went to my Honda dealer today to get the oil changed in the wifes Civic. I went and looked at the CR-Z's while I was waiting. The black one was gone but the silver with the Navi is still there and has been sitting there since day one. It has been there over a month now. The other silver one they had they have now decked it out with goodies but once again it has been sitting there since August. They also have a two day old silver to replace the black one for the third. All of these are base and CVT's. I asked the sales guy how sales where going he said they are all down but they where hoping the CR-Z would be different. It could be however just my town. We where hit the second worst in California when things went to crap so I am sure that is a factor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can anyone come up with a sept sales sheet like in the op for edm and jdm for comparison

I know it sales better over there but by how much

And I know the two seater market is slim it always has been. I've owned a few in the past and know what its like. Most surviving 2 seaters have a great deal of history behind them. Nissans Z for one just off the top of my head has deep roots as does the mazda miata. It's going to be a hard road for honda to try and edge out these cars. The miata is in a fairly (somewhat) similar price range and is offered as a conv.

I think word of mouth is going to out do any high end ad campaign honda of america (hoa) can throw out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went to my Honda dealer today to get the oil changed in the wifes Civic. I went and looked at the CR-Z's while I was waiting. The black one was gone but the silver with the Navi is still there and has been sitting there since day one. It has been there over a month now. The other silver one they had they have now decked it out with goodies but once again it has been sitting there since August. They also have a two day old silver to replace the black one for the third. All of these are base and CVT's. I asked the sales guy how sales where going he said they are all down but they where hoping the CR-Z would be different. It could be however just my town. We where hit the second worst in California when things went to crap so I am sure that is a factor.
I think a big problem is that every dealer I have been to only has CVT and base models. Some have the EX model. I have yet to see any with navigation. I am looking to buy one. I want a 6 speed ex with navigation in white. This is like the hardest combo to find apparently. I think if they had more EX's and manuals they would sell more. Not sure why they always have 3+ of the exact same model. They need more variation on the dealership floor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It is fall and people had a rough winter, so small economy cars are wandering off the mindset. All of our dealerships are stocking up with trucks and SUVs.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I think a big problem is that every dealer I have been to only has CVT and base models. Some have the EX model. I have yet to see any with navigation. I am looking to buy one. I want a 6 speed ex with navigation in white. This is like the hardest combo to find apparently. I think if they had more EX's and manuals they would sell more. Not sure why they always have 3+ of the exact same model. They need more variation on the dealership floor.
I agree about having the same of three models. They are all three silver base CVT's. The only difference one is just a plane Jane, the second has Navi, and the third has the tailgate spoiler, side molding and front and rear diffuser and splitter. To be honest the front splitter and rear diffuser do nothing for me and the side molding looks out of place and and an after thought. The rear wing though I do think looks good.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.