Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there a way to check whether my '11 has been updated? It was last serviced by a Honda dealer on 8/30/2014 according to CarFax. I guess I just need to call up the dealer that's done all the service on this vehicle in the past and get a complete service history instead of this not so useful carfax.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i hope i dont get chewed up for the necro post but will a dealership update my car (2012 MT) if an update is required free of charge? also how could i find out if my car has had this update already? any help is great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The dealer will plug their HDS into the obd socket and read the various ecus firmware numbers so not something an owner can check unless you have your own HDS. I have just bough one from ebay uk for £80 and will be reading my ecus so will post some screen shots.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
If the car has been serviced by a dealer it is in the records for the car, but some dealers are not in the same network so the information is just not available. Most dealers I have been to can look up recalls & TSBs and see if car was repaired under it. I know from the airbag recall. This was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). Search online for that document and see if your region had it too is the only other thing I can think of.

Not sure if this is the right one or issue.

I will do that, thanks!

If anyone can confirm this update was done in Europe (or not). Please let me know! The answer of the dealerships are often/always “we don’t know” here, unfortunately.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My local Honda dealership wants almost €100 ($105) for checking if my CR-Z needs a software update. Is that normal? I thought/hoped something like that would be free.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
In the US, it is usually free, but you are not in the US. As it was a TSB, not a recall, it is optional for dealers to even tell you about it or admit it exists or apply it even though it was highly recommended and all were notified by Honda corporate. NHTSA also made the public aware of it, as you saw. This is based on my experience being in the US and dealing with both recalls and TSBs. Is there an equivalent to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) there, if so check their web page or contact them.

Sounds typical for a fixed rate "repair/check/diagnosis". I bet all dealers will be similar, but contact Honda directly and ask about that software update(TSB) and if it applies to your year and market. If it does, ask Honda if it is free or if you should get a charge for it. If you were in the US and going to a dealer, I would print out the appropriate TSB and talk to the service writer and service manager about getting it applied. But you are not, and everywhere is different. The one I linked to contains all the details and processes for the dealer. Per that TSB should take less than 0.3 hr and is charged? Again, this presumes it is the right Service Bulletin and is appropriate for your car and region.

My local Honda dealership wants almost €100 ($105) for checking if my CR-Z needs a software update. Is that normal? I thought/hoped something like that would be free.

161 - 180 of 211 Posts