Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
If you could get the part faster and for less, then I would bring them the part, but you are in a bad situation. Glad you found a dealer that is willing to do the work and seems to be good. Not all are.

Replacing this fan yourself is not hard, and you could do it yourself if the car was driveable, and you could get the part. Many here have replaced that fan, and I expect eventually I will have to also.

·
Registered
536 Posts
PeterPerkins, I hope you don’t mind me asking another question about the fan failure. You previously stated that you think it’s a coincidence that the fan failed after the update. However, from your IMA experience, do you think the fan failed due to age or have you ever seen other things causing a fan failure?

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,318 Posts
The fan is simply a weak part with a design or component rating issue.
Ageing underrated or weak components can and do fail.
Hopefully the most modern ones have the problem sorted.
Honda must be well aware of the number failing.

It would be possible to hack together some sort of FAN fooling device that mimics the FAN rpm output in response to the IMA drive signal so you don't get codes. Then you just put a normal 12V blower in that is on all the time the car is. I might look at such a device over the winter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The dealership stated that they have replaced many IMA fans over the past years. Not a lot of CR-Zs of course, since there aren’t many driving around, but mainly the Insight and Jazz Hybrid. So I am sure that Honda Europe is aware of this…

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just speculating here since I (fortunately) haven't yet had the need/opportunity to get a closeup look at my fan-
Typically things like this are designed so the airflow cools the electronics, so if the airflow is somehow blocked or restricted it can cause the circuit to run hot or even overheat causing damage or total failure. In the case of the IMA fan this could happen if the vents in the rear storage area were partially or completely blocked by stuff being carried back there, or even clogged by pet hair from a furry passenger. This would affect both battery cooling and the fan itself.
@PeterPerkins does this make sense?

·
Registered
536 Posts
To me, it makes sense! However, this wasn’t the cause for my fan failure. I never drive with anything in the car (besides myself). It’s our second car that I only use to drive to work.

Now that I am thinking about it more, I do have the original rubber mat. The one that says CR-Z on it. I don’t have access to my car now of course, but I think the edge of the rubber mat partly blocks the vents for the fan. I might remove the mat when I get my car back.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
In the US Cars, there is a vent for the fan facing forward on the driver's side. I do not think there is one on the hatch side, but i could be wrong. I have the same rubber CR-Z cargo mat and I trimmed it for the Sub. It does not block anything.

Glad replacing the fan resolved the issue.

To me, it makes sense! However, this wasn’t the cause for my fan failure. I never drive with anything in the car (besides myself). It’s our second car that I only use to drive to work.

Now that I am thinking about it more, I do have the original rubber mat. The one that says CR-Z on it. I don’t have access to my car now of course, but I think the edge of the rubber mat partly blocks the vents for the fan. I might remove the mat when I get my car back.

·
Registered
536 Posts
So far, everything is still fine. Hopefully, this can help others that are facing this issue.

In the US Cars, there is a vent for the fan facing forward on the driver's side. I do not think there is one on the hatch side, but i could be wrong. I have the same rubber CR-Z cargo mat and I trimmed it for the Sub. It does not block anything.

Glad replacing the fan resolved the issue.
I am not sure if we are talking about the same vents. The ones marked in the picture are the ones I was talking about. Aren’t these the ones for the IMA fan (one inlet, one outlet)? Is there another vent?

Car Vehicle White Motor vehicle Blue

EDIT: This is the cargo tray I am referring to. As can be seen, it has raised edges that are half in front of the vents.

Rectangle Grille Grey Gas Font

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,324 Posts
@TNThomas we got a slightly different cargo tray in the US that doesnt' quite go as high up the sides. Also, the two vents in the trunk are more or less the exhaust.

The system vents low on the rear left side, inside the trim. It just kind of dumps out of the fan. So the warmer air would come out those two spots as well as the atmospheric vent on the sheetmetal behind the rear bumper cover.
Automotive tire Slope Wind Recreation Font

The intake is between the rear seat/rear cargo divider and the side trim on the left.

Vehicle Car Light Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks a lot for explaining this! I have never even noticed the intake. So I will have a look tomorrow when I get in the car. :)

Nice to know that the vents in the trunk are not connected to the fan’s exhaust. I understand that some warmer air might get out via the vents in the trunk, but the cargo tray won’t affect that too much. Thanks again!

201 - 211 of 211 Posts