Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Fools! USA people can check if recalls repairs have been performed. No need to call stealerships or get an HDS.

Enter your VIN and see if your car has any open recalls. If nothing shows up then your car has been fixed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The Honda websites of European countries also offer this option to find recalls using your car's VIN. However, in Europe it only shows actual recalls, which are mostly important safety related changes. So a technical/software update like the one I mentioned will not pop up. Not sure if such update would pop up in the link you shared though. Just sharing my experience for the European people here.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Ok yes you're right. The update this thread was discussing, with the image of the notice posted by chimera on page 3, November 2014 related to battery charge indicator software (titled: IMA Battery Memory Update) is not safety recall.

It neither shows up on NHTSA nor the Honda Owners site; I just checked all CR-Zs. For example the recalls shown for a 2011 CR-Z are: Takata driver side airbag and Engine Stall Assist ECU update (M/T only). Despite the fact that the discussed recall covers 2011 CR-Zs it is not listed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
So short update: Yesterday I did the update for the IMA system. Very nice experience at the dealership. They also tested the IMA system/battery and everything seemed healthy and still good for some more miles/years. When driving home, the IMA light came on and all assist was gone. Now the car won't start normally anymore, but it does start with the 12V battery (as it does when it's very cold). Long story short, car will be picked up by a tow truck and is going back to the dealer. I will update here when I know more, like fault codes.

Wish me luck! ;)

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,318 Posts
So short update: Yesterday I did the update for the IMA system. Very nice experience at the dealership. They also tested the IMA system/battery and everything seemed healthy and still good for some more miles/years. When driving home, the IMA light came on and all assist was gone. Now the car won't start normally anymore, but it does start with the 12V battery (as it does when it's very cold). Long story short, car will be picked up by a tow truck and is going back to the dealer. I will update here when I know more, like fault codes.

Wish me luck! ;)
Oh dear... :( What a 'cock up' as we say in the UK.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
It is not a recall, it is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) this is information that is provided to the dealers as something to check (or do) when a vehicle comes in with (known) issues. In this case it is a software update and in the US some TSB's are released to the public and some are not. In other countries, it may not be released to the public and only dealers would be notified. Below is some information related to TSB's, I found on the Internet. This information may or may not be entirely correct.

"Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, document recommended procedures for repairing vehicles, issued by a vehicle manufacturer when there are several occurrences of an unanticipated problem."

Ok yes you're right. The update this thread was discussing, with the image of the notice posted by chimera on page 3, November 2014 related to battery charge indicator software (titled: IMA Battery Memory Update) is not safety recall.

It neither shows up on NHTSA nor the Honda Owners site; I just checked all CR-Zs. For example the recalls shown for a 2011 CR-Z are: Takata driver side airbag and Engine Stall Assist ECU update (M/T only). Despite the fact that the discussed recall covers 2011 CR-Zs it is not listed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Oh dear... :( What a 'cock up' as we say in the UK.
It's a pity... The dealer stated it could be coincidence, but I won't agree with that of course. The IMA 'health check' they did showed the IMA was fine when it was at the dealer. Let's see how it goes.

A bit off topic, but the hazard lights have to be on during the tow, which will be an hour drive. So I guess the 12V battery will be dead on arrival at the dealer. They will probably incorrectly blame the 12V for all issues. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
Normally if the vehicle is being towed by a towing company the flashers do not have to be on as they use magnetically (or attached other ways) attached lights that are run off the tow vehicle and provide turn signals and in some cases brake lights. If a Flat deck truck is used then the flashers do not have to be on and the lights I mentioned are not needed unless the car is on the lift apparatus at the rear as a second vehicle being towed. As you are not in the US, I am not sure what equipment they use, and you can ask them to not have the flashers on and if they have lights they can use that are attached to the tow truck. Explain your electrical system is damaged and having flashers on will make it, so the car cannot be started after the tow. You can also stretch the truth and tell them it is a Hybrid and if flashers are used it could burst into flame.

It's a pity... The dealer stated it could be coincidence, but I won't agree with that of course. The IMA 'health check' they did showed the IMA was fine when it was at the dealer. Let's see how it goes.

A bit off topic, but the hazard lights have to be on during the tow, which will be an hour drive. So I guess the 12V battery will be dead on arrival at the dealer. They will probably incorrectly blame the 12V for all issues. ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Normally if the vehicle is being towed by a towing company the flashers do not have to be on as they use magnetically (or attached other ways) attached lights that are run off the tow vehicle and provide turn signals and in some cases brake lights. If a Flat deck truck is used then the flashers do not have to be on and the lights I mentioned are not needed unless the car is on the lift apparatus at the rear as a second vehicle being towed. As you are not in the US, I am not sure what equipment they use, and you can ask them to not have the flashers on and if they have lights they can use that are attached to the tow truck. Explain your electrical system is damaged and having flashers on will make it, so the car cannot be started after the tow. You can also stretch the truth and tell them it is a Hybrid and if flashers are used it could burst into flame.
They decided to drive the car to a local parking lot and put it on a flat bed for the drive of an hour. So luckily, the hazard lights are only on for a few minutes. :)

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
I would never use a tow company that has to have my flashers on. They should have proper equipment. A flat deck truck is a better option, and the last time The Speed Bump was towed they put it on the flat deck in my driveway with the deck all the way flat on the ground. Another time they used a wheel lift truck and the magnetic lights I mentioned.

They decided to drive the car to a local parking lot and put it on a flat bed for the drive of an hour. So luckily, the hazard lights are only on for a few minutes. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would never use a tow company that has to have my flashers on. They should have proper equipment. A flat deck truck is a better option, and the last time The Speed Bump was towed they put it on the flat deck in my driveway with the deck all the way flat on the ground. Another time they used a wheel lift truck and the magnetic lights I mentioned.
As far as I have seen in ther Netherlands, towing companies don’t use the magnetic flashers here.

My car needed to be towed by a wheel lift truck for the first few miles, because it’s parked in an undergound parking. A big flat bed truck would never fit. Dutch underground parkings are made for small cars. Most people here drive cars like a Toyota Aygo, Ford Fiesta, VW Golf, etc.

EDIT: Sorry for going off topic. I will post again here when I know more (issues/fault codes). Let’s stop the discussion about towing. :)

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
I have seen shows about towing all over the world, not sure if I saw any from the Netherlands but many even for big trucks have either the magnetic or lights that hang on the towed vehicle. I am glad they had a flat deck for this situation.

Do let us know what they find, it is very coincidental they do a documented update all tests fine and then the next day you have IMA issues. :(

As far as I have seen in ther Netherlands, towing companies don’t use the magnetic flashers here.

My car needed to be towed by a wheel lift truck for the first few miles, because it’s parked in an undergound parking. A big flat bed truck would never fit. Dutch underground parkings are made for small cars. Most people here drive cars like a Toyota Aygo, Ford Fiesta, VW Golf, etc.

EDIT: Sorry for going off topic. I will post again here when I know more (issues/fault codes). Let’s stop the discussion about towing. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
The dealership found what was wrong. Fuse 53 was out, which is a fuse for the IMA fan according to the dealership. The car also shows P1448 and another IMA related one that I forgot (I will ask them again). On the drive home from the dealership during which the car failed, I noticed the IMA fan blowing for the first time ever. Normally, I don't hear it or don't notice it. This time I heard it blowing quite hard. The fuse is the result of another failure of course. So they will test the IMA fan. They told me that they have a method to check the IMA fan.

EDIT: I think the second code is P1634, but I will check with the dealership to be 100% sure.

PeterPerkins, what's your view on this?

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,318 Posts
The IMA fan is probably borked and you might need a new one.
Very unlucky 'coincidence' that it happened straight after you left the dealership after the update.

If the car fails again as soon as the system tries to turn on the fan you will know.
They can run a fan test with the HDS, it might well fail that. (Blow the fuse again etc)

Press hard for some goodwill and Honda might fix it free.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The IMA fan is probably borked and you might need a new one.
Very unlucky 'coincidence' that it happened straight after you left the dealership after the update.

If the car fails again as soon as the system tries to turn on the fan you will know.
They can run a fan test with the HDS, it might well fail that. (Blow the fuse again etc)

Press hard for some goodwill and Honda might fix it free.
Thanks for the quick response! It can be a coincidence, but it might be partly caused by the update, I think. The update caused the fan to blow hard for the first time since I own the car (first time I heard it blowing). Combining that with an old fan might have been too much. It might have been OK without the update for many more years, who knows...

They will run a fan test using the HDS indeed.

The dealership is very kind so far, so hopefully they are willing to agree a 'fair price'.

·
Registered
536 Posts
PeterPerkins, one more question. Do you know if the fan is the same as the one in the Insight and Jazz Hybrid? The housing might be different, but I mean the internals.

I am asking, because I guess the time to get a CR-Z specific fan might be (very) long. So having alternatives could help the dealership to get a new fan quicker.

EDIT 1: And another one… As I said, I heard the fan blowing very hard during the drive after the update. A few miles later, the IMA light came on. Would that be because of the fan failing at that moment or is this a sign that more is wrong and the fan failure is just a side-effect of the fan blowing hard due to a different IMA issue?

EDIT 2: Just had a good look at the part numbers and the complete fan assembly (1J810-RTW-003) seems to be CR-Z specific. However, the fan's motor assembly (1J816-RMX-003) seems to used in many Honda hybrid models. So that might help to find one quickly.

·
Premium Member
8,485 Posts
RockAuto (Who ships internationally) sells a direct replacement, see this thread IMA Warning Light, CEL, Code 1634 and 1448
Must search by part number, not car year and model!

Rectangle Font Line Screenshot Software

In this thread @PeterPerkins mentioned other fans from other Honda models that will work, but you may have to transplant the guts into a CR-Z fan housing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
RockAuto (Who ships internationally) sells a direct replacement, see this thread IMA Warning Light, CEL, Code 1634 and 1448
Must search by part number, not car year and model!

View attachment 67806
In this thread @PeterPerkins mentioned other fans from other Honda models that will work, but you may have to transplant the guts into a CR-Z fan housing.
Thanks a lot! However, I will have to let the dealership fix the issue. So I just wanted to know if parts are interchangeable for shorter delivery times. Since the car doesn't drive anymore, I can't bring it home to fix it myself. Also, getting a tow truck would cost more than the difference in price between fixing it myself and letting the dealership do it.

The dealership confirmed the fan is broken and the repair costs will be €590. Good thing is that they can fix it within a day, so that's way quicker than doing it myself, because waiting on the part from the US or Japan would take a week or more. I need my car to go to work...

·
Registered
536 Posts
They agreed to pay the labor and sell me the part for cost price, which is €350. So the price for me went from €590 to €350. The dealership explained me what Honda Europe states about the content of the software update. The update only changes the (dis)charge of the battery to slow down degradation in a better way than before, so no changes in the way the fan is used/controlled. So they say it's just an unlucky coincidence.

All in all, I am fine with the €350, because the part (via RockAuto) would be €200-250 to buy (incl. import fees and taxes). Since I can't do and don't want to do the repair myself, I would have to pay a shop about €100 to do it. So the costs would be about the same and it would take way longer and I need my car ASAP. Furthermore, the dealership is very nice to deal with and payed for the towing, all analysis costs, and gave me Honda Assistance (roadside assistance) for 1 year.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts