Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is the first day with snow here in Bergen so I thought I'd write up some quick first impressions for you.

The tires I'm running are Michelin X-Ice X12 205/55-16 snowtires. We've had about 10cm of snow so far today, maybe a bit more, and I've driven about 100 or so km so far. Due to the regular stupidity of other motorists I had to take a few detours getting home , so a 10 min drive became a 2 hour drive, but that ment I got to test out the car on some more challenging winter roads that aren't used much normally because few people know about them :)

Firstly I was actually very impressed in how stable and calm the car felt on the snow, being such a light car I expected it to not handle so well on wet snow and slippery roads.

The traction control and stabilizer assist or whatever you call it also worked well. Actually it works better then what I'm used to from my CL9. The impression I got from the TCS was that it allows the wheels to spin a bit more then on the CL9 and doesn't interfere as much with throttle control. I did manage to get stuck going up a really steap hill though, as the car in front of me was a Berlingo that didn't quite make it to the top... There might have been som cursing involved, but I eventually solved it by turning off the TCS, hitting sports mode and allowing the wheels to spin freely all the way to the top. Took me 3 attempts, but I made it :p

As for slowing down, the car felt really stable. Not that I got to test that to any extent as the traffic was horrible with several cars along the road on summer tires and other stupidity that had caused multiple accidents. One of the roads I normally use to get home had a bus that had gone sideways blocking both lanes... great huh?

All in all the CR-Z did surprisingly well. I certainly got a few looks passing struggeling people going up hill on the snow in such a tiny car :p

I'll just add a little picture I took of the last little "blockade" I ran into just 1km from my home. This one only had 3 cars involved in the pile-up, but I still had to get out to help push some VWs and other crap out the way :rolleyes: Also found a picture of the bus that was blocking my way home.

PS: Just a little side note. Since the EDM car doesn't have the rear wiper, you get quite the buildup of snow on the rear window when you're stuck in traffic. Basically after a while you can't see anyting out of the top rear window. Kinda annoying, but not really that big of a deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'm surprised you are running 205 wide tires for snow tires. I've always heard that it's better to go for skinnier tires than stock in order to improve the tire's ability to cut through the snow.
I wondered about that.. if it is a SNOW tire, wouldnt wider be better, since the main difference is a much softer compound designed to get traction on the snow and ice.....

skinnier would be better for a non-snow tire... to cut through and hopefully get some pavement.

I dont know for sure either way.. maybe some of the tire brains on the forum will chip in...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm surprised you are running 205 wide tires for snow tires. I've always heard that it's better to go for skinnier tires than stock in order to improve the tire's ability to cut through the snow.
You are right about that, but 195 width tires are much more expensive and harder to come by, as only the Mini and the BMW 1 series use them. I'm sure it would have also been cheaper if it were 15" wheels, but I don't think that would fit? Still 205 is the narrowest snow tire I've had on a car so far :p My Mitsu 4x4 had 255 Hakkapelitta SUV snow tires :p

I really don't think it will be a problem running 205 tires though, and they are much better off the snow. They use a lot of salt on the roads here, so most of the time the road is just wet. If you can get 195 tires though, I would get those. I probably could have gotten 195s if I got my ass out to order some a few days earlier. I bought the snow tires last Thursday as I knew we would get snow this week.

Give it the "For Your Eyes Only" treatment. :thumbsup:

That's not far from how the car looks with the ski rack on :thumbsup: You probably won't be able to open the hatch with boards or skis on the roof though.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Supposed to be ugly up here in Washington State (Puget Sound). El Nina this winter. Got the 17" rims making studded snow tires problematic. Thinking I am going to be in the Subaru WRX (previously Son's car, but he is in the AF stationed in Korea. Bought it from him before he left. Pretty nice ride also.) or in the Wifey's Touring Suzuki SX-4 AWD w/studded snow tires during the expected snow. Keeping the CR-Z warm, clean, shiney and comfy in the garage.

- Storm Silver CR-Z CVT EX/W NAVI -All the exterior/Interior options - 17" Rims/Tires etc., minus Nose Mask.
- Previous Car = CIVIC Hybrid EX/W NAVI and HFP Package - 18 HFP Rims/Tires and body moldings. Really liked it but always in ECON mode. Lov'n the CR-Z. Wifey too.
- We are 49 year old empty nesters.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
wow, so many passionate ppl on here about snow haha... i've lived in FL my whole life and the first time i EVER saw snow in person was a couple years ago when my sister moved to Charlotte, NC... and even then it was just barely snowing...

oh and we had a pretty rough winter last year here... snow flurries were reported in Kendall, FL and some parts of West Palm Beach, FL... the civic literally had a couple mils of ice on it a few nights/mornings it got down to 23 degrees here :eek:mg:

Come to denver in about 2 months, brudda! I will bury you in the white stuff! :hi5:
:iough:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
wow, so many passionate ppl on here about snow haha... i've lived in FL my whole life and the first time i EVER saw snow in person was a couple years ago when my sister moved to Charlotte, NC... and even then it was just barely snowing...

oh and we had a pretty rough winter last year here... snow flurries were reported in Kendall, FL and some parts of West Palm Beach, FL... the civic literally had a couple mils of ice on it a few nights/mornings it got down to 23 degrees here :eek:mg:

:iough:
I used to think it was funny... it would be 50 degrees outside in Florida, and I would see people wearing big fluffy down jackets, and shivering. I was in shorts and a tank top... getting strange looks...:cry:

All what you are used to ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
haha, i remember the flurries lol. i lived on the border of pinecrest and kendall (right by dadeland mall).

Anyways, good to know that the CRZ can handle the winter. It was 37 degrees this morning - snows right around the corner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.