Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of speakers come equipped in the CR-Z EX? Also, I'm trying to find out what size they are. Additionally, has anyone replaced the factory 8 inch subwoofer with an aftermarket sub yet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Working in the aftermarket audio industry, the speaker sizes are the least of your concerns. Up front is a pair of 6.5" Separates, rear is 6.5" Coaxial, and the factory sub is a 8"... First, unless you plan to use a factory amp bypass harness and add your own amp I wouldn't touch your system. There are many things to consider when upgrading the audio system in the CR-Z. First thought is power, with the hybrid system you need to carefully choose your amplifier(s). Current consumption is a big issue in hybrid vehicles because of how they charge the main 12 volt battery that you would be running any add on stereo systems on. Upgrades in this vehicle should be kept to a single class "D" amp that has little power consumption.

As for the speakers you choose, size does matter but is the easiest part of this equation. Choose a speaker that you can properly power, in other words pick an amplifier first. One that the will work well with Hybrid vehicles, something efficient. Then choose a speaker that will properly fit your power and size equation.

Lastly considering sub woofer upgrades. If you are content with a moderate amount of bass in your system (I.E. a single woofer) then be aware that no matter what woofer you go with you will need to replace the entire factory setup (woofer and enclosure). You can not expect to install a new 8" woofer in the factory enclosure and power it off the factory amp and expect it to sound better.

The factory system is engineered well, and to outshine it you will have to over engineer your upgrades. While keeping in mind your audio upgrades you need to keep in mind your hybrid vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Working in the aftermarket audio industry, the speaker sizes are the least of your concerns. Up front is a pair of 6.5" Separates, rear is 6.5" Coaxial, and the factory sub is a 8"... First, unless you plan to use a factory amp bypass harness and add your own amp I wouldn't touch your system. There are many things to consider when upgrading the audio system in the CR-Z. First thought is power, with the hybrid system you need to carefully choose your amplifier(s). Current consumption is a big issue in hybrid vehicles because of how they charge the main 12 volt battery that you would be running any add on stereo systems on. Upgrades in this vehicle should be kept to a single class "D" amp that has little power consumption.

As for the speakers you choose, size does matter but is the easiest part of this equation. Choose a speaker that you can properly power, in other words pick an amplifier first. One that the will work well with Hybrid vehicles, something efficient. Then choose a speaker that will properly fit your power and size equation.

Lastly considering sub woofer upgrades. If you are content with a moderate amount of bass in your system (I.E. a single woofer) then be aware that no matter what woofer you go with you will need to replace the entire factory setup (woofer and enclosure). You can not expect to install a new 8" woofer in the factory enclosure and power it off the factory amp and expect it to sound better.

The factory system is engineered well, and to outshine it you will have to over engineer your upgrades. While keeping in mind your audio upgrades you need to keep in mind your hybrid vehicle.
:yeahthat: very well said... i'd like to add that i replaced my stock sub on my Si and the factory amp would barely move it...

and just an FYI a simple search brings up this thread http://www.crzforum.com/forum/factory-specifications/1115-what-size-speakers-sub.html while there isn't much info in there b/c it's pre-CR-Z US release, you can continue the discussion in there so there isn't multiple threads of the same topic floating around...

:lock:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.