Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have done my own oil changes for the past 30 years. I am starting this thread as another topic in the CR-Z general discussion just to see what the rest of you are doing. The Civic Hybrid I owned specified 0W-20 motor oil, and it is not the easiest oil to find. Honda recommends 0W-20 because of the instant lubrication needs of the start/stop feature while driving. In 2007 not many parts stores carried 0W-20, but it may be more readily availble by now.

Changing the oil in a 2007 Civic Hybrid was kind of a pain because of all the efforts by Honda maximize a low coefficient of drag for the Civic. There were plastic covers completely covering the undercarriage of the car. The covers were held in place by a series of plastic retaining clips and 10mm bolts. Sometimes the retaining clips would come out without damage, but oftentimes they broke upon removal, resulting in a quick trip to the dealer to buy replacements. I ended up buying several of the clips just to have some on hand. Here's a link to familiarize you with the possibility of changing your own oil:

07 Civic Hybrid Oil Change - Honda-Tech

I plan on doing my first oil change at around 1000 miles. I used Amsoil 0W-20 in the Civic, and plan on staying with that in the CR-Z. I would use Royal Purple, but they do not currently make it in 0W-20 weight grade. However, check out this video from Horsepower TV on Royal Purple filters. I do plan on using Royal Purple filters. They seem to be manufactured with the highest quality standards, with glass filtering media which maximizes flow while trapping smaller dirt particles and contaminants.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, It's 0W-20

Gentlemen,

I picked up by black Z yesterday from Terry Lee Honda in Avon, IN. (Since I got the first one, he took some pics and posted them on his Facebook page):

Terry Lee Honda | Facebook

I checked the manual and Honda calls for 0W-20. The dealership uses and recommends Mobil 1 for their Hybrid cars. Other than Mobil and Amsoil, I don't know any other brand that even makes 0W20.

Happy CR-Zing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The oil filter doesn't look too hard to access. Aside from annoying plastic under carriage covers, its by itself. Though it is horizontal, so like the Jeep Wrangler I just sold it might be wise to keep a piece of cardboard across from it when removing it to stop any unwanted spurts.

I also hate those retaining clips, you need a special tool to take them out and even then they strip!

One thing I was very surprised by on the literature on the new site was that there is no "Scheduled tune Ups" for +- 100k miles. Now it will come down to what they consider a tune up!

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts

Changing the oil in a 2007 Civic Hybrid was kind of a pain because of all the efforts by Honda maximize a low coefficient of drag for the Civic. There were plastic covers completely covering the undercarriage of the car. The covers were held in place by a series of plastic retaining clips and 10mm bolts. Sometimes the retaining clips would come out without damage, but oftentimes they broke upon removal, resulting in a quick trip to the dealer to buy replacements. I ended up buying several of the clips just to have some on hand. Here's a link to familiarize you with the possibility of changing your own oil:
That explains why when I took the wifes Civic in for an oil change at Honda there was a disclaimer that Hybrid Civics where more expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone used 5w20 vs 0w20? I mistakenly poured 5w20 onto wife's 07 Civic Hybrid. I tried researching and it seems it's just the temperature that's the difference and if you're in Canada it's fine. I think they are similar but different in ways as discussed right here. But next time I'll be getting the 0w20 since it's easier to find on Amazon. Is it best to wait until the next oil change or just replace it again? I just want some opinion here.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
858 Posts
Has anyone used 5w20 vs 0w20? I mistakenly poured 5w20 onto wife's 07 Civic Hybrid. I tried researching and it seems it's just the temperature that's the difference and if you're in Canada it's fine. I think they are similar but different in ways as discussed right here. But next time I'll be getting the 0w20 since it's easier to find on Amazon. Is it best to wait until the next oil change or just replace it again? I just want some opinion here.
I'd do an early oil change, but it's probably fine especially since it's still a 20 weight oil at operating temp. I may be wrong, but I think I read that in the owner's manual of the CR-Z that if you can't find 0w-20 oil, you can use 5w-20 as a temporary replacement.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
250 Posts
In EU user's manual, recommended oil is anything between 0w20 to 10w30, there's even a chart that specifies what are the coldest and the hottest ambient temperatures for each oil. I can post a photo later.

That beins said, I would just drive with this oil until the next oil change, especially if you live in a hot climate.

·
Premium Member
8,818 Posts
See attached for the two mentions of oil Grade from my 2013. The above sounds more practical and there the manuals maybe more universal than vehicle specific. IMO I would wait till next oil change. The difference is not great enough to warrant the expense and time of an early change . Different places may have different recommendations or laws. All I can say is follow the manual your car came with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.