Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I own a 2016 LX CVT with about 21,000 miles. I knew the factory service interval for the trans fluid was about 30k miles, but after browsing this forum it seems like most people recommend replacing it every 20k instead. I have also seen that all CR-Zs take the same fluid (08200-9006). Is this the same for the 2016? I don't want to screw anything up by putting the newer HCF-2 fluid in. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
324 Posts
Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable using those multi-vehicle fluids. Maybe the brand-specific options are there just to get your money, but I'd rather spend a bit more now knowing I won't spend a ton on a tranny rebuild later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable using those multi-vehicle fluids. Maybe the brand-specific options are there just to get your money, but I'd rather spend a bit more now knowing I won't spend a ton on a tranny rebuild later.
My plan is to use Honda genuine fluid in my transmission. Do all the CVTs (including 2016) use the same 08200-9006 fluid? Also I hear a lot of people talking about the inline filter that I plan on changing too. Is there any other filter I should be replacing at this point? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Valvoline's synthetic CVT fluid is not only MUCH cheaper, it meets both of Honda's CVT fluid specs.
I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't risk it.
OK, I've got to ask: Do you only use Honda oil in the engine?

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK, I've got to ask: Do you only use Honda oil in the engine?
No.

Its true, I do advocate for using OEM HONDA CVT fluid over the Valvoline CVT.

But I'd try Amsoil CVT if I hadn't gotten the OEM fluid for cheaper.

I'm pretty sure I know why, but I have to ask. What's the reason for your question?

Also, are you recommending Valvoline to everyone based on the manufactures claims OR have you been using it successfully for an extended amount of time?

Because I wouldn't haphazardly recommend stuff I don't know for sure won't potentially damage and cost people their time and money. And a CVT is both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just want to know the reasoning behind the original statement. Fear of the unknown is a reason but if that is the only basis.......

Thanks for the link but it unfortunately is not very useful as the OP never followed up (so common on forums).

I just find it more than a tad ironical that folks have no issues with using other fluids, parts, or hacks on a vehicle but the buck stops here with the CVT.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
For most fluids I will use whatever fluid matches the description and specifications for example any 0W20 Synthetic oil but it appears this transmission fluid is very specific and is not changed often and a transmission is very expensive and not worth taking a chance on. Oil is more of a commodity and not as specialized.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't find it ironic at all. CVTs are the newest players in transmission technology, and none of the manufacturers are close to perfecting it. Still a lot of R&D to be had, and room for improvement.

Can'tspeak for anyone else.

But the reason the buck stops here for me?

Just a little bit of research and common sense.

Which turns out to also be the reasoning for my original statement of "I wouldn't risk it"
:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Beats me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wouldn't risk it for my vehicle, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Its a free country, and that's my personal preference.

Don't let me get in your way though.

If you want to try it out and report back to benefit the CRZ community.

Please do and tell, and by all means. That I would support 100%

This is my final reply to you regarding this topic context. it's bordering on trolling and hijack of OPs thread.

Thank you

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
324 Posts
I've heard many mechanics say to always use OEM fluid on Hondas because other fluids may cause problems. Goes for power steering, transmission fluid and A/C oil. For the tranny, I wouldn't risk it and just go for OEM fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback! I ended up ordering the OEM Honda cvt fluid just to play it on the safe side. I'm sure the other brands would work comparably well, but I don't want to make my daily driver a testing platform.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is my final reply to you regarding this topic context. it's bordering on trolling and hijack of OPs thread.
Well apologies to you and anyone else I may have inadvertently offended. That was not my intention.

If you want to try it out and report back to benefit the CRZ community.

Please do and tell, and by all means. That I would support 100%
I only have about a whopping 200 miles driving experience in a CR-Z :) so I'm not sure how the CVT was acting before (bought non-running) but it seems to be operating fine with the Valvoline fluid.

Doing some research, I found that the Insight guys have been using Valvoline for years with no reported issues. Some of those threads were about the CVT improving with the fluid change. I also looked over numerous CVT failure threads here on the Z forum and none have mentioned running non-OEM CVT fluid when their trannies failed. So there's that.

FWIW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts