Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
361 - 366 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates. Not much to report.. (y)

I have just been trundling around with this in regular use and it seems to work OK.
i.e. No errors so far or unexpected behaviour..

I've reached the voltage limit for the Frankenstein combo Nimh/Lithium hardware at about 185V max, but I can pull 25kw with this setup..

I am trying to arrange a dyno test to see the output compared to the stock Nimh setup from over a year ago..

I am starting to understand a bit more about the IMA CAN data so there is a slim possibility I might be able to up the voltage some more in the future with different hardware.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 · (Edited)
Finally I was able to get the modified Frankenstein car on the same rolling road. (y)

The Hull dyno outfit are a disorganised shower. :mad:
I was kept waiting for ages, was not able to supervise due to health and safety, it was a different dyno guy, and they/he didn't take the car to the rev limiter like last time.. :(

But if we look at the chart and extrapolate a bit I think we would have seen around 140hp at the wheels at just over 6000rpm.
That's up about 10hp on the standard Nimh when I tested it just after buying it. (Note that old Nimh pack was quite good).

Torque was just over 200nm at around 2300rpm, that's up approx 40nm from before. (y)
So pretty reasonable but I need to find some better dyno guys..

Sport mode ON. VSA OFF.

Black and white chart is modified car.
Colour is good standard Nimh pack in oem setup.

Even more voltage/current would get us more power ;)
I still think the IMA motor has another +10hp and +40nm left in it so back to the modding drawing board.
I need 220V :cry:

Rectangle Slope Font Line Triangle

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
13 Posts
First time labeled CRV, then CRX, they're good, really need to find different dyno people.

Anyway, almost new owner here, just got a 2010 CRZ, getting delivery tomorrow. Any bets on battery state at 145kkm? I've set up a HDS VM, will report back.
@PeterPerkins You've done an incredible job! You've put lots and lots of effort into this.
I'm totally interested in doing the 144v LTO pack with 16Ah cells, not even the current mod. I have hardware design, BMS and some EV experience, this looks decently easy, but I'll be back for more info.
Also, if you need help with any kind of firmware, hardware, CAN, blah, I'm in. Planning to keep the car for a while.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 · (Edited)
Big shout out to Karl & Scott at GarySpeed Performance today for the axle dyno runs.
Both nice friendly chaps and a good hour or so spent chatting and setting up before the runs.

Anyway the results. Note. Ignore the sharp peak right at the start of the graphs as the dyno brakes the engine.
The peak torque was actually about 227nm with IMA on at just over 2000rpm.

Hacked IMA On. Red Torque & Blue Power.

IMA Off. Gold Torque & Purple Power.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

The car is terrible with no IMA..
It accounts for nearly a doubling of the torque at low RPM.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
They also had a nice neat JDM import Black 2012 Honda Fit RS Hybrid which I had a quick go in.
It's CVT and is basically the early Nimh CR-Z stuff in a Fit/Jazz body. It's very quick off the line.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Plant Land vehicle Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift

It's was good and of course all my hybrid tweaking would work in that as well. I'm tempted to buy one LOL!

I did plug my OBDII gizmo in and it reported a very healthy 75% useable battery capacity which is the maximum.

361 - 366 of 366 Posts