Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forums here. I just got my very first job and started saving for a car.
I've had my eyes set on a Cr-Z EX ever since I graduated. And now that I have some
kind of source of income, I'm planning on buying the 2013 EX model as a birthday
present. I'm not quite sure if the few extra grand is worth it compared to the older
models, and if I should get a manual or a CVT. I live in Frisco, TX and it seems the
prices for this car is about $20,000 to $24,000 (that's without any additional fees,
tax, registration, etc...). I currently own a 2005 Toyota Corolla, which is an
automatic, and I drive pretty aggressively on it (most of the time to avoid traffic).
My commute is pretty far, about 100 miles a day. I'd say about 70% of my time
driving is on the highway, 30% in city. Traffic isn't too bad, with the exception of
Fridays. I drive an average of about 75mph.

I pretty much know nothing about cars, and I've only driven the Corolla since I
learned how to drive. I'm currently learning how to drive a manual in my brother's
Civic SI. So my question is... is getting the 2013 model that much of a difference in
"fun" compared to the 2012 or 2011? And should I get a manual or a CVT, my brother
says after awhile, driving a manual becomes muscle memory and shouldn't feel that
much different in traffic as driving an automatic.

Edit: I don't believe I will be planning any mods-performance wise. I do plan on
getting mods to the exterior to make the car more attractive.

Regards,

KLB

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have the 13 EX (no navi) with Manual which I'm glad I waited for the 13+ models for a couple of reasons. The black and red theme, Lithium Ion battery, back-up camera, better mirrors for blind spots, LED daytime running lights, and the front end look. Not saying the 11-12's are bad, they just don't fit my tastes. As for the CVT/Manual, I would say drive them both and see which one will fit your driving style the best. For me the manual is a lot more fun to drive. If you want a little better for gas mileage go with the CVT. Hopefully that helps you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 13 EX (no navi) with Manual which I'm glad I waited for the 13+ models for a couple of reasons. The black and red theme, Lithium Ion battery, back-up camera, better mirrors for blind spots, LED daytime running lights, and the front end look. Not saying the 11-12's are bad, they just don't fit my tastes. As for the CVT/Manual, I would say drive them both and see which one will fit your driving style the best. For me the manual is a lot more fun to drive. If you want a little better for gas mileage go with the CVT. Hopefully that helps you.
I can't seem to find any manuals in my area, there all CVTs. I've managed to find a few
manuals that are like 75miles away which is quite far... Is the manual that much
"funner" to a CVT?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a '13 CVT, and I love it. I can drive stick, but I needed the CVT for work. I find the CVT very responsive and fun, even when I don't use the paddle shifters that come with it.
Definitely go with a '13, the tweaks are very much worth it, as mentioned above.

The only thing I'd caution you on is that the CRZ (and hybrids in general) perform better in non-highway situations. Your mileage will probably be comparable to a non-hybrid, so if that's important to you, keep that in mind. But if the CRZ just hits you the right way, don't be shy about going for it. You won't be disappointed. It is greater than the sum of its parts.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I can't seem to find any manuals in my area, there all CVTs. I've managed to find a few
manuals that are like 75miles away which is quite far... Is the manual that much
"funner" to a CVT?
That was the same situation for me. I found a used 11 in a manual at a used car lot and drove that one to get a feel for the manual in that car. I guess the best way for you to decide if you think the manual is "funner" to drive would be to compare you Corolla (auto) to your brothers Si (manual) and see which one "puts a bigger smile" on your face for the transmission factor. Even tho your Corolla (boring car, no offense) to your brothers Si (much more smile factor car) are the same class of car, the Si is more sportier. Hopefully that makes since.

Edit: Plus the 13's info was just released at the Paris auto show, so I didn't actually drive a 13 before I bough mine.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've wanted a CRZ for ages, but wasn't convinced to buy one until the 2013 update. There were enough comfort and tech tweaks, plus the Li-ion upgrade, to make me pull the trigger. At that point the only delay was getting the finances together :)

Manual versus CVT is entirely up to you and your commute.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a '13 CVT, and I love it. I can drive stick, but I needed the CVT for work. I find the CVT very responsive and fun, even when I don't use the paddle shifters that come with it.
Definitely go with a '13, the tweaks are very much worth it, as mentioned above.

The only thing I'd caution you on is that the CRZ (and hybrids in general) perform better in non-highway situations. Your mileage will probably be comparable to a non-hybrid, so if that's important to you, keep that in mind. But if the CRZ just hits you the right way, don't be shy about going for it. You won't be disappointed. It is greater than the sum of its parts.
I'm more interested on the fun factor of a car, rather than the gas efficiency. As long
as the gas doesn't cost more when I get the Cr-Z than I currently do with my Corolla
I will be happy (currently pay about $70 a week on gas). I don't think the Cr-Z's fuel
economy will be worse than the Corolla manual or CVT.

That was the same situation for me. I found a used 11 in a manual at a used car lot and drove that one to get a feel for the manual in that car. I guess the best way for you to decide if you think the manual is "funner" to drive would be to compare you Corolla (auto) to your brothers Si (manual) and see which one "puts a bigger smile" on your face for the transmission factor. Even tho your Corolla (boring car, no offense) to your brothers Si (much more smile factor car) are the same class of car, the Si is more sportier. Hopefully that makes since.

Edit: Plus the 13's info was just released at the Paris auto show, so I didn't actually drive a 13 before I bough mine.
I definitely think the Civic is more fun than my Corolla. I hate my Corolla, even though
it's my first car, and it's been very reliable, it's just... boring.

I've wanted a CRZ for ages, but wasn't convinced to buy one until the 2013 update. There were enough comfort and tech tweaks, plus the Li-ion upgrade, to make me pull the trigger. At that point the only delay was getting the finances together :)

Manual versus CVT is entirely up to you and your commute.
I need to get a little bit more experience with driving a manual before I can test drive
both to give a more accurate reading on it. But it looks like you guys consider the
2013 worth the extra few grand vs the 2012 model. I just wasn't sure if it was worth
it. There are no used 2013 EX models in my area, so it'll cost about $5k more vs a
2012 model. I saw a 2013 EX model for only $17k but it looks like that car is no longer
available :(

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You've certainly come to the right place, to get information from long term owners, not auto journalists. Good move.

I won't contradict the comments, above, regarding the added features of the 2013 model, but I'll throw in a plug for the earlier years. If you are comfortable with the higher cost of the newer model, I would not advise against it. But the '11 and '12's are often a lot better deals, and are certainly a lot of fun too. Certainly, as with all cars, score the best deal you can on whatever you decide. If you are planning to keep the CR-Z for a long time, then it won't matter that much to you. People who change cars frequently though, tend to eat a lot of depreciation.

To me, the longer warranty implicit in buying a newer car, would hold more sway than the interior colour or the S+ button. But this is a Honda, and reliability is not really in question. So, this is more of a peace-of-mind consideration, rather than a practical one.

Either way, you will get a fun, safe, and economical car.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had an 11 and now a 13 Z and any year will be fun to drive . The 13 does handle better and a bit more power . The newer style battery and backup camera are also reason to consider the 13 . All said , if you can get a great deal on a 12 I would give good consideration to that . These cars don't have great resale right now . When I bought my 13 the dealer had leftover 2012 models and the price difference was small between the 12 and 13, $600 I think it was.

·
Deputy Forum Librarian
4,782 Posts
If I were to get another CRZ, I'd probably get a CPO 2013 EX 6MT. The upgrades of battery, backup camera, S+ button, and DRL are worth the cost.

Right now I have a 2011 EX 6MT. Your brother is right about driving MT becoming second nature when driving.

Keep us posted and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll just keep on saving and see exactly how much I have saved up by my birthday. Hopefully the price will drop a little by then, if not I might have to consider getting the 2012. Not exactly sure if I'll be able to afford the insurance, car payments, and future student loans that will be coming my way in June.

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
The only thing I'd caution you on is that the CRZ (and hybrids in general) perform better in non-highway situations. Your mileage will probably be comparable to a non-hybrid, so if that's important to you, keep that in mind.
Instead of driving 75mph, go down to 65mph. Im not familiar with TX speed limits though. Common highway speed limits in NY are 55 or 65. I notice that above 60 the active mpg display starts to go down.

Youre going to be getting student loans in June, or start paying them back in June? Did you just graduate from HS or college?

I'm in college, I bought my crz with the money I made from a paid internship. :) The big selling point for me was getting the monthly payments to a level I could afford ($200.73!) in the future when I would also have student loan repayments. Typically it is smart to buy a car based on out the door price, though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Instead of driving 75mph, go down to 65mph. Im not familiar with TX speed limits though. Common highway speed limits in NY are 55 or 65. I notice that above 60 the active mpg display starts to go down.

Youre going to be getting student loans in June, or start paying them back in June? Did you just graduate from HS or college?

I'm in college, I bought my crz with the money I made from a paid internship. :) The big selling point for me was getting the monthly payments to a level I could afford ($200.73!) in the future when I would also have student loan repayments. Typically it is smart to buy a car based on out the door price, though.
The route I take, it's about 55 to 65mph on the highway. I just graduated from
College in December. Going to start having to pay back student loans in June, which
I'm estimating to be about $350 a month. I think I'm going to see if I can modify the
student loans, because those payments are ridiculous...

How much did you pay for your car with all the additional fees and etc., and how long
was the term of your loan? My plan is to get about $250 a month, and plan on
putting down $4,000 and trading my car in for about $3,000.

·
Registered
783 Posts
College in December. Going to start having to pay back student loans in June, which
I'm estimating to be about $350 a month. I think I'm going to see if I can modify the

How much did you pay for your car with all the additional fees and etc., and how long
One good thread here

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/5893-how-much-did-you-pay-your-crz.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here in Oklahoma most of the turnpikes/highways are 70 to 75 like in Texas, I still get 39 mpg on the highway at those speeds, Seems if you go slower you might get run over by the trucks and SUVs.

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts

I had no trade in.
Total down was $6700
$200.73 a month for 66 months (we kept playing with months to get down to $200)
Crz was listed for $15,900. After registration fees and taxes etc, almost $19,000.
I financed $12,000 or so. After interest this will be more (multiple $201 by 66).
This makes out the door price for me about $19k.
My was certified pre-owned and only had 15k miles. Also EX.

I had my mom cosign so I could get a lower interest rate on the loan.
I've got the loan almost under $9000 now :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to test drive a Cr-Z on Saturday and ended up buying the car that night. Woke up this morning, all excited and noticed it was snowing :glare:
Unable to go have fun with it because I'm too paranoid of my inexperience with winter weather conditions :(

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
Ha! Same thing happened to me! The first night my cr-z was home it snowed about the same amount!

I cant find the post, but here was the picture:

You have new tires, just go 10mph slower than usual if you're that new to snow-covered roads. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts