Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
January 2011 Issue has full review

Their full-page review is in the January 2011 issue, which I got in the mail today.

They point out the lack of a center arm rest as one of the negatives, but they completely fail to mention that one is available!

From the review summary:

HIGHS: Fuel economy, shifter, turning circle, cargo flexibility

LOWS: Only two seats, noise, ride, on-limit handling, visibility, access*, A/C shuts off at stops.

*Access: Entry requires ducking and then lunging into the seat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
...So what's new???... just another needless waste of paper IMHO. Oh and great, now I get to hear from more individuals who have never step foot in this car, repeating word for word what these jokers decided to print!... Think I'll go have a wonderful night...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Their full-page review is in the January 2011 issue, which I got in the mail today.

They point out the lack of a center arm rest as one of the negatives, but they completely fail to mention thatone is available!

From the review summary:

HIGHS: Fuel economy, shifter, turning circle, cargo flexibility

LOWS: Only two seats, noise, ride, on-limit handling, visibility, access*, A/C shuts off at stops.

* Access: Entry requires ducking and then lunging into the seat.
The CRZ is not without its many compromises, but I do agree that some reviewers really pick the wrong things to complain about.

"Only two seats", citing this as a Low of the car is truly stupid. Anyone considering the CRZ in the US knows that it has only 2 seats. This is actually a feature in my book! Now if the CRZ had come to the US with the rear seats fitted in other markets, I would have to agree with this being a low point of the car as few people will ever fit in these seats.

"ride and on limit handling" also being cited as lows when the car is supposed to have sporty pretensions is also the wrong nit to pick. A sporty car is always going to have a compromised ride and a sporty car should wag its tail a bit at limit. As long as the tail doesn't come around, the stability assist did its job.

And "AC shuts off at stops" again what a stupid thing to complain about. If you want the AC to remain on, then just leave your manual transmission car in gear or touch the gas in your CVT. You can decide for yourself if you want to save gas or run the AC. If you think about it, it is actually a better system than one where the A/C would continue to run on electricity, because eventually this means you will have less battery power and that will somewhat negate the fuel economy gains from auto shut off.

Now Consumer Reports complaining about rear visibility and the shape or awkwardness of a door handle and ingress and egress ease are all things that Consumers should address as they are the publication that is the watchdog of such ergonomic issues.

But whether these ergonomic compromises are worth the sacrifice for the sportier styling and sports car like driving position are things for consumers to decide for themselves.

It does seem that over and over again, car reviewers miss the primary mission for this car is style and sport, while still staying very fugal with fuel. It is not designed for largest in class cargo capacity or best in the world fuel economy or fastest 0-60 time.

Again, I find it interesting that the Honda Fit is one of Consumer Reports highest rated small cars and CRZ is truly a stylized version of a Fit. Granted the styling takes away from much of the utility offered by the Fit, and the hybrid bits offer less additional fuel economy than you would expect. But the Fit is almost always cited as a car that they love in every way and the CRZ will get docked for doing many things, like steering and handling exactly the same Fit while the Fit will be praised for these same things.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Consumer reports to be fair did make note of a common complaint there the CR-Z is not easy to handle when pushed near the limit. This has also been noted by Motor Trend and other sources who have had a chance to flog one.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Consumer Reports lost there credibility with me when they did there Universal Health care article over the summer.

The CR-Z is a great car with a great price. I am really getting sick and tired of these articles. I think these "experts" are expecting way too much for what it was designed for and they are totally missing the mark. It's neither a "full hybrid" nor a "full sports car" and I think that's what these "experts" where expecting. It's a mixture of the two, a birth of a new mass production, fun, fuel efficient, Eco friendly vehicle and a first of it's kind and they should be praising that. The CR-Z is a gateway to a new branch of vehicle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Now if the CRZ had come to the US with the rear seats fitted in other markets, I would have to agree with this being a low point of the car as few people will ever fit in these seats.
I have driven with an adult human being in the back seat of mine on no fewer than three occasions. Granted that on two of those occasions the adult in question was under 5 feet tall and on the other, had to sit sideways, but the seats aren't entirely useless!

The handling on the limit isn't the easiest, but anyone driving a short wheelbase car should expect lift-off oversteer. I think driving style has a major influence on how the CR-Z behaves, though. If you're a Jenson Button then it feels like the limit is a long way away, if you're more like Lewis Hamilton then the CR-Z can very quickly become unpredictable and unfriendly. It rewards smoothness, I think.

As for the AC cutting out, is it not the same situation as the heater, where if it needs heat/AC the auto start is disabled?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The handling on the limit isn't the easiest, but anyone driving a short wheelbase car should expect lift-off oversteer.
This is one of the reported characteristics that has me interested in the car. I want lift-off oversteer, within reason. If the stability control keeps it manageable in normal driving, and it can be turned off, then I think it is a plus.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know a lot of people who love lift-off oversteer and it can be useful to correct the car if the nose starts pushing wide, but personally I like the back end to be passive and the four wheel drift in the Accord was perfect for me.

I don't think I've really dared take the CR-Z to its limits yet. I find under very hard cornering, once the car has taken its stance and the outside front wheel is heavily loaded, that things get a little vague and I don't really know what to expect next. In all likelihood it's just some safe, progressive understeer but the voice in the back of my head tells me that it might be quite a sudden event!

Ultimately the car is lively and grippy enough to be plenty of fun when driving at 7 or 8 tenths. Faster than that and you have to start working at it, which takes out some of the fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Let em keep giving it bad reviews.
I like that my local dealer sold 2 before I got mine and I still haven't seen another one on the road here yet.
They can discontinue the model now as far as I'm concerned, then ours will be that much more rare 10, 20, or 30+ years from now, when they are still running like Honda's tend to do.
Al

·
Registered
314 Posts
The CR-Z is a great car with a great price. I am really getting sick and tired of these articles. I think these "experts" are expecting way too much for what it was designed for and they are totally missing the mark. It's neither a "full hybrid" nor a "full sports car" and I think that's what these "experts" where expecting. It's a mixture of the two, a birth of a new mass production, fun, fuel efficient, Eco friendly vehicle and a first of it's kind and they should be praising that. The CR-Z is a gateway to a new branch of vehicle.
Very well stated, including the point I commonly make myself when I call the CR-Z a hybrid hybrid. Did they mention anywhere in the article about VALUE (didn't read it after seeing the reactions here and knowing what I've seen in similar articles)?!?! The summary of highs and lows someone else posted didn't show that value was listed, but failure to do so when other hybrids are so much more costly is - in my opinion - a massive oversight.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Very well stated, including the point I commonly make myself when I call the CR-Z a hybrid hybrid. Did they mention anywhere in the article about VALUE (didn't read it after seeing the reactions here and knowing what I've seen in similar articles)?!?! The summary of highs and lows someone else posted didn't show that value was listed, but failure to do so when other hybrids are so much more costly is - in my opinion - a massive oversight.
Thanks!:thumbsup::hi5:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe they should visit this forum before writing their articles, no doubt their constant negative opinions would be different. I've yet to see an article that had a CR-Z owner included in the review.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No need to bag on Consumer Reports. Every magazine bounces their evaluation against their belief of what a car should as defined by their mission statment. Consumer Reports - safety, Car and Drive - performace.

We know the short comings and bought the car anyway. Remember, this car is a sport hybrid not a hybrid sports car. We can modify it to push it more towards a sports car but not without alot of money. I love the car for what it is.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.