Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been considering trading my car in for a CR-Z. I drive a 2010 Mazdaspeed3. It's a blast to drive, but there are a few things that I have to say I don't really find ideal for my situation.

1) I want a two door, a two seater is even better. I love the practicality of my four door hatch, but it's generally overkill for my needs. It also feels 'big' to me, despite obviously still being a compact.

2) I've realized that power is not a huge priority for me. Most of my driving is either around town in moderate traffic or highway cruising, I don't race and I rarely have the opportunity to put the power down.

3) Fuel efficiency. My MS3 has awful mileage. I can get about 24-26 mpg on an all highway trip, but on my typical tank (probably only around 30% highway) I get about 19-21 mpg. It also requires premium, which is not a huge deal, but does contribute.

4) I've always preferred Hondas, and come from a 'Honda family'.

These factors have been pushing me towards the CR-Z. I do have a few questions for you owners, though.

1) How is the acceleration? I've read the magazine numbers so I'm looking for more general answers. Do you find that it's enough to keep up around town? To merge onto a highway or pass someone with relative ease?

2) To those of you who do a lot of your driving in town, what kind of efficiency do you see? Specifically with the manual transmission.

3) How is the feel of the shifter and the clutch? This is what I miss most about my past Hondas (1992 Civic Sedan, 2002 RSX). My Mazda just does not have a great transmission. The clutch is heavy and jerky, and the shifter is not terrible but a bit imprecise.

4) Insurance. This might sound dumb coming from a (relatively) high powered car, but I do have five seats and four doors vs the CR-Z's two seats/two doors and I have heard that sometimes insurance companies take this into account.

5) What is the storage capacity like? I generally don't care too much, but I am a cyclist. I have a bike with quick release wheels so I don't mind taking the front or (if necessary) back wheel off to fit. Is this going to be possible?

I'd also like to point out a couple of things that I have working for me. I own my Mazda outright, I don't have to worry about any financing nonsense with the trade-in. All in all I shouldn't really have to pay anything, my trade in is worth more than a CR-Z EX according to KBB - I may even receive a check from them. Also, I'm not desperately seeking a new vehicle. If I don't like the dealer's offer, I'm more than content to walk away.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post with tons of questions, but I like to be thorough when I'm looking at something like this.

·
Registered
438 Posts
1) The acceleration is fine for normal driving. I live in Colorado, and the only time I have trouble at all passing is when I am going up a very very steep hill. Other then that most of the time I forget I am driving a hybrid.

2) Right now I do a good majority of my driving in and around town. I don't drive the car overly hard, and I see about 35 mpg in town, on a 6mt.

3) The shifter and clutch are wonderful, like every other honda.

4) Insurance has a million and one variables, this is best answered by emailing/calling your insurance agent and asking for a quote.

5) With removed wheels you would be able to fit one bike pretty easily. If you search the forums, there are several postings on bike rack options you might find helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your post is great! I am in the exact same situation... only I drive a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT thats got 75k miles on it. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the trade but I can tell you about my experience thus far...

Mazda has 75k mi. on it and I've had tons of problems with it over the years since buying it new... smoking turbo, PCM failure/ misfires multiple times...I have around 25k miles left on the extended warranty.

KBB values the trade in "good Condition" at 13, 075 for me. I work for a large investment bank which gives all employees a 3k reimbursement for hybrid car purchases..

Essentially, I can get a brand new CR-Z around 21K out the door, get 13 for a trade and 3 from work... my out of pocket cost would then be ~5g.... I'd say the CR-z is worth 5 grand IMO... in your case "free" or they'll pay you to take it.

Driving wise, i drove the CVT and 6MT. Both are good however I def. prefer the 6MT. Shifter was way smoother than the Mazda has ever been, Clutch is lighter and has a higher engagement point. I didn't get to push it too hard but it seemed to handle comparably (i'd be putting coils or springs on it anyway if I buy one)...

Trunk space is small, I'm a cyclist too and ride a 54cm Cannondale I have heard on here that ppl can fit up to a 56cm ride with the front (rear?) wheels off. Personally I have a rack on the mazda but think it looks a bit rediculous on the cr-z... this is the other factor holding me back.

Thats about as much insight as I have so far, I'm pretty much holding out until I get the number I want for my trade I've walked out of two dealers so far as they both initially offered 9500 and 10k for the trade... I'm thinking more in the ballpark of 12,500-13.. We will see..

Good Luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the answers, and you're absolutely right about it being better to contact my agent with regards to insurance.

Does the CR-Z have any common issues from the factory that people have discovered?

·
Registered
298 Posts
1) Acceleration is fine. One of my requirements in a car is ease in getting up to freeway speed. However, I find that on most days, I'm waiting for the car in front of me to get up to speed on the ramp.

2) Super variable. It really depends entirely on what the light spacing/timing is like on your route, and how long you're driving. If you're able to just coast along at 35, on flat roads, in 6th gear, not having to stop for lights, you can easily push above 40mpg. On the other hand, driving only a couple blocks away and hitting every light, I've gotten below 30mpg just from all the start/stop cycles (and without auto-stop kicking in since the engine's not up to temp yet)

3) The shifter and clutch both feel awesome, though I don't have much to compare to.

4) What Zodiak said. It seems highly variable, talk to your agent.

5) Again, what Zodiak said. There's a surprising amount of space back there, and you shouldn't have trouble with one bike, especially if you remove the front wheel. IMO, this is the thread to go to for bike rack info.

Edit: To address your last question - the most common complaint I've seen here is people reporting that the lens on the EX's fog lights breaks really easily. Actually, I think that's the only consistent complaint. Some people report a crackling from the speakers with certain bass-heavy material (I've heard that once or twice, and never again).

·
Registered
282 Posts
[QUOTE

1) How is the acceleration? I've read the magazine numbers so I'm looking for more general answers. Do you find that it's enough to keep up around town? To merge onto a highway or pass someone with relative ease?

More than adequate. No trouble passing or merging. Just dont try racing a corvette.

2) To those of you who do a lot of your driving in town, what kind of efficiency do you see? Specifically with the manual transmission.

The manual is a blast to drive even in traffic. I keep mine in sport fulltime and still never average less than 35 mpg except when trips are very short or in very cold weather.

3) How is the feel of the shifter and the clutch? This is what I miss most about my past Hondas (1992 Civic Sedan, 2002 RSX). My Mazda just does not have a great transmission. The clutch is heavy and jerky, and the shifter is not terrible but a bit imprecise.

Shifting is silky smooth as with most Hondas. I came from a 2006 Accord with stick and we also own a Fit and all vehicles have demonstrated exceptionally smooth shifting. I'd never driven a 6 speed before but had no trouble adjusting.

4) Insurance. This might sound dumb coming from a (relatively) high powered car, but I do have five seats and four doors vs the CR-Z's two seats/two doors and I have heard that sometimes insurance companies take this into account.

Too variable to give advice. Zodiak's right.

5) What is the storage capacity like? I generally don't care too much, but I am a cyclist. I have a bike with quick release wheels so I don't mind taking the front or (if necessary) back wheel off to fit. Is this going to be possible?

Shouldn't be a problem. Quite a bit of trunk space with the back panel down.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers everyone!

I like everything I've read so far. From atteSmythe's post about dipping into 20s when the engine's not warm - you should see what my Mazdaspeed3 gets when the engine is cold!

So now I have some very subjective questions for you all. Are there any options worth getting? Do you have any regrets in your purchase? The most loaded and subjective question of all : would you do this if you were me?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the answers everyone!

I like everything I've read so far. From atteSmythe's post about dipping into 20s when the engine's not warm - you should see what my Mazdaspeed3 gets when the engine is cold!

So now I have some very subjective questions for you all. Are there any options worth getting? Do you have any regrets in your purchase? The most loaded and subjective question of all : would you do this if you were me?
Certainly you want to test drive the car first to see what you think. And if you dont like it somethings wrong with you!

I'd advise the ex package. I also got an armrest and navi. Haven't regretted any of those. There have been many complaints about blind spots but I haven't found that to be a big problem. You can adjust your mirrors to compensate. I wish it had a bigger gas tank, otherwise I love the car. I love it anyway. And speaking of subjective, go blue!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi MattB! First, welcome to the forum, and my compliments to you for coming on the forum and doing your homework before you hit the "stealership". We all love our CRZs and are a little biased, but we will still give you the straight scoop. I concur with everyone's responses to the questions except regarding whether the bike would fit, as I don't have an experience in that area. You may want to take your bike with you and see if it fits just to be sure. As for options, I got'em all. There are mixed feelings on the Nav system. I wanted something integrated and I like it well enough. If you want to save a few bucks, skip the Nav system and buy a ~$200 Garmin. If you think you might be interested in an extended warranty, check back and we'll direct you to a sponsor on the forum that offers pricing most dealers can't beat. :hi5:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Its great, its better than the Honda Fit. No problems keeping up or passing, even in Normal drive mode.

I've been averaging ~39mpg around the city, but I'm not even sure the engine is totally broken in yet. This is around Los Angeles, lots of hills and stopping and going. Definitely possible to get more.

Yeah, it is considered more 'sporty' but also 'hybrid'. The insurance is just a tad bit more than my 2009 Fit was, which I would expect is less than a Mazdaspeed.

I've found it to be awesome. I just drove across the country, with clothes, photography gear, a 400-piece tool set and various other tools, two backpacks. Had a clear view out all the windows and nothing in the way. Still had room to spare.

Edit: To address your last question - the most common complaint I've seen here is people reporting that the lens on the EX's fog lights breaks really easily. Actually, I think that's the only consistent complaint.
Agreed. One of mine broke at 302 miles, and the other one is now broken after the cross-country trip. The fog lights don't really do anything though. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts

I'd also like to point out a couple of things that I have working for me. I own my Mazda outright, I don't have to worry about any financing nonsense with the trade-in. All in all I shouldn't really have to pay anything, my trade in is worth more than a CR-Z EX according to KBB - I may even receive a check from them. Also, I'm not desperately seeking a new vehicle. If I don't like the dealer's offer, I'm more than content to walk away.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post with tons of questions, but I like to be thorough when I'm looking at something like this.
1) How is the acceleration? I've read the magazine numbers so I'm looking for more general answers. Do you find that it's enough to keep up around town? To merge onto a highway or pass someone with relative ease? With the electric motor there is plenty of torque to get moving. It definitely feels like it has more than what the spec's say. With that torque it is almost impossible to stall the motor too. It is a very easy to drive car. There is plenty of power to get around town and even ECON mode when passing, do a little down shift and your gone.

2) To those of you who do a lot of your driving in town, what kind of efficiency do you see? Specifically with the manual transmission. Mine is almost all highway so I can't help you there.

3) How is the feel of the shifter and the clutch? This is what I miss most about my past Hondas (1992 Civic Sedan, 2002 RSX). My Mazda just does not have a great transmission. The clutch is heavy and jerky, and the shifter is not terrible but a bit imprecise. Very smooth a precise. I wish it had a little more feel but over all it scores a 9.5 out of ten

4) Insurance. This might sound dumb coming from a (relatively) high powered car, but I do have five seats and four doors vs the CR-Z's two seats/two doors and I have heard that sometimes insurance companies take this into account. I have State Farm and they base there price or repair costs and accident ratios

5) What is the storage capacity like? I generally don't care too much, but I am a cyclist. I have a bike with quick release wheels so I don't mind taking the front or (if necessary) back wheel off to fit. Is this going to be possible? It might be able to fit but they also make bike racks I believe.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think all the advice you have been given here is sound. I would only add to what has been said that the EX is the basic model choice for most people. If you find the OEM Navi to your needs and liking, then get it, but I think it is too expensive for what it offers, and the fact that it is an older, not state of the art, sysytem.

The only time I would recommend the base model would be if it is your intention to remove the stock stereo system and install something more powerful and or functional.

I would also add that the CRZ is a bit slower, not faster, than the Honda Fit. Not a big deal and neither car has anywhere near the power of your Mazdaspeed. But both have enough power that in normal driving you never feel underpowered. In very high speed highway driving and/or driving up steep hills both cars will lack a bit of power and require downshifting to maintain speed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would also add that the CRZ is a bit slower, not faster, than the Honda Fit. Not a big deal and neither car has anywhere near the power of your Mazdaspeed. But both have enough power that in normal driving you never feel underpowered.
I wonder if you'd get different results if you did your side by side test again. I'm wondering if your CR-Z is better broken in and might perform better?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting thread considering I also own a Mazdaspeed 3 (2007) that I have seriously been considering trading in for a CR-Z. For one, I am almost sick of driving my Speed 3. The clutch/shifter/transmission is quite possibly the worst I have ever driven. The clutch literally does nothing until you've almost released it all the way and then there's a 1 centimeter area where it will suddenly conk in the next gear. Motor Trend noted this on their recent long term test of the newer model Speed 3's which I found interesting that Mazda apparently didn't bother fixing that issue. Also, as noted above, the MPG is horrible. To get anything above 20MPG around town I basically have to barely touch the gas, shift up, barely touch the gas, shift up...you have to baby the ever-living-s... out of my car to keep the MPG above 20. If I push the pedal at all I might-as-well just throw $4 out the window for another gallon of gas. And that has got really, really old. I also had the notorious "smoking turbo" issue in my Speed 3 as well.

Also as noted from the post above, I also rarely use the power on tap with my Speed 3 due the MPGs nosediving and since it's all city driving there's rarely ever a chance to put my foot down anyway. So I probably wouldn't miss the power that much, but that is what's holding me back. I think I'm waiting to see what the 2nd-gen CR-Z is like. Or a CR-Z Type R. Whichever it is that Honda is currently working on. I'm assuming the 2nd-gen CR-Z (or Type R or whatever it will be) will probably come out in the next 1 or 2 years so I'm probably willing to wait for that. At that point, if the new CR-Z has some more power on tap while still giving the same great MPG, I think it will be a complete no-brainer and I'll trade in my Speed 3 at that point.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wonder if you'd get different results if you did your side by side test again. I'm wondering if your CR-Z is better broken in and might perform better?
Someday I will repeat the test, but I have researched it, and every car magazine that has tested both a 6MT CRZ and a 5MT current gen Fit has published the Fit as being faster to every speed inside the 1/4 mile.

I have figured out why, and it is because the gearing of the CRZ is quite a bit taller than the Fit's in gears 1, 2 and 3. So even though the CRZ has a power advantage at 2500 rpms or less, the Fit more than overcomes this because of it's shorter gearing. Add to that the fact that the Fit has a 6800 rpm redline compared to the CRZ's 6300 rpm redline, and you can see that there is almost never a speed where the CRZ is putting more actual HP to the ground than the Fit is.

Now, you would think that the CRZ's taller gearing should give it a significant fuel economy advantage, but considering the total advantage over the Fit is only 3-4 mpg, and the IMA and auto-stop must be contributing most of that, the gearing cannot be contributing too much to fuel economy. IMO, the gearing for the CRZ seems poorly chosen, performance wise.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I second the welcome, MattB,

my $.02:
1) acceleration is fine - no problems with normal traffic including a tricky uphill short onramp I take a couple of times a week.
2) I drive 30% city, 70% hwy, so can't help you there. 40.8 mpg is what my 6MT is getting so far
3) the feel of the 6MT was one of the main reasons I bought the car. I test drove cars for 3 weeks, loved the feel of the Honda. Very smooth and precise, and how the transmission handled weeded out some of the other cars I was considering including the Mazdas.
4) Insurance cost was a bonus. It is CHEAPER to insure than anything else we own except a 24 year old Corolla we only carry liability on. I couldn't believe the quote was real when I called our insurance company before buying, as it costs several hundred less per year less than a 96 4Runner or a 97 F250 diesel superduty we have on our policy. Agent said it's because it's a hybrid with a small engine. Contrast that to the 2009 370Z in our family - insurance went up more than the total cost for insuring the CRZ this year just because 370Z's have proven to be expensive to repair IF they get in an accident.
5) I'm a cyclist here too - I posted on one of the other threads that the CRZ easily carries a Cannondale Synapse 56cm with the front wheel off. I tipped the front passenger seat slightly forward and put the wheel in a padded wheel bag. If you wanted to take a passenger and second bike, a rack would be needed however.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately I haven't been out to test drive a CR-Z yet, but I will give this small update.

The CR-Z is actually slightly more in insurance cost than my MS3, but only by about $40 per year.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The CR-Z is actually slightly more in insurance cost than my MS3, but only by about $40 per year.
:confused:

Guess I was lucky with my CRZ insurance. I had the agent compare it to several other cars using VIN no's before I purchased and it was cheaper than the Prius and Insight hybrids too in spite of being a 2 door/2 seat car. One car I considered was a 2009 VW GTI a friend was selling at work. He was being transferred overseas so it was a great deal, but the insurance was almost twice what the CRZ is costing me. Hope they don't decide it was a mistake and raise the rates in another few months here.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.