Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I'm new to this thread. I am thinking about buying a 2011-2012 CR-Z.
I graduate in May and I am going to more than likely have a job that is about 55 miles one way, 3 days a week. It will involve mostly highway but will also involve city and traffic driving.
I currently own an '09 Honda CR-V. If I get a CR-Z, I will be keeping the CR-V for bad weather (heavy rain and winter). Anyhow, on this same route in my CR-V I get 28MPG on the highway there but only about 24 once I get to the city part. And during the winter my car drops to 20MPG.
If I get the CR-Z I want the manual transmission EX.
Here are a few questions I have:
1) I like doing my own oil, ATF, air filters, etc. Is it fairly simple to do on a CR-Z?
2) Are most of you getting what Honda has as the fuel economy?
3) Anything you find annoying for a daily driving car that I will be in for about 2-3 hours a day?

I went and sat in one the other day, didn't have anytime to test drive, but I really liked the interior and think it has plenty of space for what I need. They didn't have any in the manual transmission for me to see but at least I was able to check it out.

· Registered
368 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum buddy.

I do mixed road driving, such as tight roads, then hitting it in the motorway then into city likes. My average is 38mpg through mixed driving, and also mixed driving Modes ;). It can definitely go higher, also it can withstand changes of climate - say, -4c it'll obviously burn more fuel, but average mpg in my experience hasn't budged much at all. But since you're mostly on the highway, I reckon you'll average about 44+mpg if kept on Normal mode. I'd not recommend ECO mode as there is almost zero power to it.
Reading that you sound like a DIY type of guy, so it'll definitely be easy for you to self service your car as it's a spacey tiny car to get your hands around. Apart from the rear sits as they're basically unusable!
About daily driving - when I first got my Z it took some time to get used to the long journeys. Take notice of the comfort of the seat and set it right, as it'll get uncomfortable... Your bum will numb! But as said, takes getting used to :). 2-3 hours is pips easy peasy, I myself would love more as long as I'm in the Z.
All in all, imho the Z is a perfect all rounder, and long journey use car. Ignore the critics as they're too stuck to the past, welcome to 2011.

· Registered
64 Posts
Hello everybody! I'm new to this thread. I am thinking about buying a 2011-2012 CR-Z.
I graduate in May and I am going to more than likely have a job that is about 55 miles one way, 3 days a week. It will involve mostly highway but will also involve city and traffic driving.
I currently own an '09 Honda CR-V. If I get a CR-Z, I will be keeping the CR-V for bad weather (heavy rain and winter). Anyhow, on this same route in my CR-V I get 28MPG on the highway there but only about 24 once I get to the city part. And during the winter my car drops to 20MPG.
If I get the CR-Z I want the manual transmission EX.
Here are a few questions I have:
1) I like doing my own oil, ATF, air filters, etc. Is it fairly simple to do on a CR-Z?

It's a Honda with a 4cyl. That means usually all of this stuff is dead easy. With the oil you do have to remove a panel under the car but that looked easy in the owner's manual. Just clips. Air filter is super easy. ATF I don't know about.

2) Are most of you getting what Honda has as the fuel economy?

37 - 39 MPG combined with CVT

3) Anything you find annoying for a daily driving car that I will be in for about 2-3 hours a day?

Well, the Autostop takes a little getting used to. Rolling to a stop sometimes it will cut off when you are not really wanting it to because you know will be giving it gas .005 seconds later, for example.

I drove 5.5 hours 2 weeks ago and no complaints. It is a small car though. Oh, it fogs up easily for some reason. Taht's annoying.

I went and sat in one the other day, didn't have anytime to test drive, but I really liked the interior and think it has plenty of space for what I need. They didn't have any in the manual transmission for me to see but at least I was able to check it out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I really liked the interior cabin. The seats and the dash I thought was just amazing. I love the look and colors of the display.
I was just doing some research on cars that I liked, it seems that every review (Consumer Reports, Truth About Cars, Autoblog.com, Car and Driver, etc.) harps on the CR-Z, but I think it is a pretty practical vehicle.
It all depend on what hospital I get hired at if I'll get a new vehicle. If it isn't far I'll stick with my CR-V, I love that car. I guess I just love Honda. lol
Anyhow I'm still open to some more opinions on the CR-Z, so let them fly.....

· Registered
282 Posts
I LOVE this car. I've had it for about 1 wk but have already put over 800 mi on it. I was very skeptical at first after reading all the negative reviews but you can rest assured that real life experience with this car is a blast! I'm 6'3" and have had no issues whatsoever with driving discomfort including, two 4.5 hr trips so far. Both me and my wife think the ride in this car is more comfortable than my previous 2006 Accord, so I dont think your long commute will present a problem. AND I'm averaging between 38 and 41 mpg in SPORT mode almost exclusively. In fact I've come to the conclusion that fuel efficiency doesn't seem to vary that much between driving modes and for that reason am leaving it in sport, where this car excels. Its not a corvette but its got plenty of get up and go, and the fact that you are so low to the ground and with a wide wheelbase, it has incredible cornering. The only real downer is the view out the back, but you get used to that. I'm just hoping that word of mouth gets around so Honda doesn't give up on this car because in my book its a real winner. I haven't driven the cvt but if you like stick, the 6 speed manual here makes the drive all the more awesome. Incredibly smooth and quick shifting. Did I say I LOVE this car???

· Registered
9 Posts
I just test drove one a couple of days ago. Liked it quite a bit. I have a 220 mile round trip daily commute (long I know) and my Grand Cherokee averages about 17 miles per gallon. My Rx-8 isn't much better at 20 mpg. My Rx-7 is under 10 (single turbo w/ 525 rwhp). My wife's MB SLK320 is our best at about 26 - 28 mpg but it requires premuim. It looks like its time to add a car that actually gets decent mileage but it has to be fun to drive.

Funny thing is that all the reviews complain about the mpg but it would be a VAST improvement on any of my cars so I see all positives. :)

· Registered
1 Posts
New member need a little advice, thinking of buying a cr-z got a test at my local Honda for next week but just a few questions first. I like to service my own car is it possible with this hybrid system. ? when Honda service your car do they do any thing to the electric motor / battery system ? On the Gt model is it possible to re map the engine to around 170 -180 bhp.? any thing I should look for on a test drive car has less than 17000 miles on it. all advice appreciated thanks

· Deputy Forum Librarian
4,813 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with what the dealership services, but probably most likely, they don't do anything with the hybrid battery.

To get to 170-180 bhp, you might need to get a supercharger or turbo.

The CR-Z is not for anyone who wants a fast car.

See if the http://www.crzforum.com/forum/europe/3595-uk-cr-z-owners.html can help you.

The most common issue of used CR-Z is the 12v battery for sitting on the lot for a while.

Good luck and keep us posted.

· Registered
184 Posts
^^ this do not buy this car if you want SPEED before anything else. Like others have stated speed aside this car is very fun to drive and is remenesint to my old '93 civic eg. I've had my 2015 so far for a little over a month now with just shy of 1k on the odo and I'm kinda wishing I would've gotten a toyota FRS. How ever Im going strictly off reviews of the FRS and have yet to actually drive one personally. At the end of the day it's what's important to you, if MPGs and uniqueness is your thing then is the car for you, if you want fast out of the gate I would look else where.

· Registered
437 Posts
There are better options out there if you're looking for something fast in a straight line. This car has a unique combination of features and is definitely in a niche of its own.

I don't know about the ease of servicing the hybrid battery system on your own, but I do know that it's reliable and the chance of it needing to get serviced anytime soon is low. As supercrz said, the only common issue you'll find is a low or dead 12V battery, which the dealership should replace for free if it gives you trouble.

· Registered
783 Posts
You have to remember that most drivers under usual driving aren't at max HP. The CR-Z *feels* like a car with much more HP under the hood under usual driving, because a lot of its torque is there at the low end thanks to the IMA system. Under similar conditions to me the CR-Z often feels better than a car with 50+ extra horses, simply because of that pick-up. You'll notice the loss at the top end of course, but even then I've found it has plenty of grunt for highway speed/overtaking etc.

A test drive is the best way to appreciate this. Good luck!

· Registered
38 Posts
Hello,

I am thinking about buying a 2011 CR-Z EX this weekend.
It's an auto (because my wife can't drive stick), NAV and has 26000 miles on it.
Is there anything I should be looking for?
This will be my new(er) car in 14 years.

Thank you for your advice.

· Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Hello Ray-- What's the mileage on the car, and is it CVT or a 6-Speed? Take some pics of it, if you can, and let us know how the test drive goes.

· Registered
38 Posts
It has 26000 miles on the car, which I think is fantastic for the year. It is a CVT because my wife can't drive stick. It is white and the dealer wants $9000 for it, and I think it is a good price.
I am 5 hours away from the dealer (St Louis to Kansas City), so I won't be able to test drive it.
I am going to show up with my 1995 Mazda MX-3 and trade that in (pictured below). I call him Froggy.
So I kinda need to know some stuff to look for in this CRZ.

Thank you.

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, for the low mileage. Did you do a VIN search to check for recalls (the driver's air-bag,) assuming it's NOT from a Honda dealer, since they will not sell it without the recall done.

Take it for a long enough test drive to test out the IMA battery/operation, it should show "charging," "assist," and you'll feel the extra torque when it's in assist, especially if you put it in SPORT mode. Just check out the normal stuff, as you would for any non-hybrid car--open the air box to see the condition of the air filter, check the fluids, etc., and look under the front bumper for damage from scraping/hitting curbs....

I'd change the fluids when you get it home, if you're unsure of when the last change has been made (but you're safe to follow the maintenance minder indicators for service after that.) Changing CVT fluid is a good idea, as well as bleeding the brakes, since it has more years than miles on it.

Here's another thread that might have some interesting links for you, but it's a great car; never plan to sell mine.
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda-cr-z-owners-forum/39577-advice-buying-used-cr-z.html :grin2:

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda...es/70297-honda-cr-z-takata-airbag-recall.html and have under hood battery load tested.

Negotiate the price first then financing then trade if you get offered a good price for the trade. The idea is lock in the price ( never talk monthly payments) if any warning lights at all when you test drive it walk away do not get attached until you are sure all of the above is right.

· Registered
449 Posts
It has 26000 miles on the car, which I think is fantastic for the year. It is a CVT because my wife can't drive stick. It is white and the dealer wants $9000 for it, and I think it is a good price.
I am 5 hours away from the dealer (St Louis to Kansas City), so I won't be able to test drive it.
I am going to show up with my 1995 Mazda MX-3 and trade that in (pictured below). I call him Froggy.
So I kinda need to know some stuff to look for in this CRZ.

Thank you.
OOOH! Love me some Mx-3! Rhymes with MX-5 ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.