Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I saw a post on here from a few years ago that went entirely unanswered, and oddly enough as I've been saving up for a potential engine swap to make my CR-Z unique and a little more powerful, I had the same question. How possible would a F20C engine swap be in this little hatchback of mine?

So my initial plans were to save up enough money for a K20 swap, but the more I looked at the K series of engines I realized the numbers just weren't appealing enough to me. The costs were high, and the power gains were minimal. I couldn't foresee spending thousands for just a 25-70 Horsepower increase, especially if I was attempting to put a newer Type R K20 under my car's hood. So then I got to thinking, "well obviously Honda has had many other successful engines that people swap into different cars outside of the K series.... I wonder what else is available?" and then, it hit me.

For those that don't already know, the particular engine that's tickling my fancy is an F series Honda engine, specifically the F20C. the F20C is a 2.0 liter in-line 4, just like the K20; it has VTEC and a high-RPM redline. But the engine was actually made for the sporty little Honda S2000, and a JDM spec engine outputs 247 horsepower and it's redline is actually 9,000 RPM. So, what's the price difference you ask? For me to get my hands on either a top-of-the-line K20 or a low-mileage F20C, the price difference is in the thousands of dollars for me personally. I found some really good options for an F20C for 5 grand, including six-speed LSD transmission and wiring.

And that begs the question: is it worth it? Obviously I will have to pay for custom tuning work to be done, custom wiring, custom engine mounts, some fanagling of the transmission to get the shifter where it really needs to be... but I keep thinking about the potential of a 9000 RPM redline in a CR-Z and it makes me absolutely giddy. I just wanted to turn to the community and ask, "hey, does anyone know if this is explicitly a terrible idea before I commit to this? Because now I really wanna do it."

All comments appreciated :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
F20c is a technical marvel on paper but its shit in reality. They have no tru vvt, just lift like the old b/h/d series, cams are gear driven. Just drop a k24 in, all of the torque plus it'll make more power than an f20c for less outlay.
K24 has a cam variator and if you get the later k24 or even a k20z they have it both the intake and exhaust cam so they pull waaaay harder than an f20

Also if you do go f20c you'll be running k transmission and loom so it won't be all custom at all, all your really gonna do is a kswap with an f20 motor, albeit with a different intake mani because the s2k tb will point the wrong direction in the bay after its rotated 90 degrees to fwd orientation

·
Registered
476 Posts
I can't see why not. Essentially creating a FWD S2000 is an intriguing idea. The curb weight of both cars are roughly the same. The F20 and F22 are both great engines. Obviously a K24 (ideally with K20 head) will be cheaper, as there are already mounts, axles and harnesses available. But if you can see yourself realistically going the custom route, then go for it! You'll have something special, that should be a lot of fun to drive. There will be a lot of research ahead though, as this is new territory. You might want to look into EK and EG Civics that have done an F20/F22 swap, to get an idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The F20 swaps out there are F20b, destroked h22, jdm only motor. Completely unrelated to the F20/22c.
I've never seen or heard of an s2000 lump in anything fwd.
It'll have to bolt to a kseries box, you could run into issues there as you may need an adapter
The other issue is the f20c leans over toward the intake maifold, to mate it to a k series box it will be leaning toward the from of the bay rather than the rear as the k20 does. This will obviously mean modified sump and pick up but could also mean you'll have drain back issues to the sump.
The more you visualise the swap the more pointlessly expensive it seems.

I know the attraction of an f20c swap sounds good on paper but the k is a superior motor and its been done.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you want to do that, go for it. I wouldn't though.

And I own S2000 and have had several CR-Z's. I'd just do a proper K-Swap. Mounts and harnesses are much easier too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts