Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a few days ago, I replaced my fog light bulbs. This is the 2nd time Ive done this. First time was just to change. 2nd time was because of the accident, I had to swap the bulbs out. However, I had to get matching pair and the previous pair was no longer in stock. I like things perfect, so i swaped them both out to match.

Anyway, my issue is that I've got condensation in the fogs. More so with the driver side. Strange thing is, it will go away over time with the light on, but come back in minutes again. I checked the bulbs and everything, they are secure and there appear to be no gaps or misaligning the bulb into the socket. They are in their grooves just right. I also just noticed this today after my car wash.

I need some suggestions or ideas on why this is happening. Since the bulb is secure and there are no gaps that I can tell, then there's not much I can do and I'm not really worried about it. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Back in 2004, right after I bought a new 2004 Ford F150, after a rain or washing my truck, only the passenger side fog light would have water in it. I removed the assembly to see what was the problem. On top, there is a hole where they allow air to flow. Well I placed some tape building a tent like covering, but still allowing the air to enter and exit. This fixed my problem of water getting in. I wonder if our fog light have something like this? My lights haven't been fogging up yet, I will have to keep an eye on them. If too much water forms in there, it could blow a bulb if it splashes up on it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did notice a really small hole in the back of the housing- on the reflector. I figured it's for air to circulate through. The foglight does get very hot. So I'm guessing for ventilation. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Im not sure how water got around in there though. I guess it finds it's way. Strange thing though, the condensation is happening hours after the car was washed and dry. The car is in the garage too. It is very cool outisde. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it progresses. See if it's still there in the morning. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well, a few days ago, I replaced my fog light bulbs. This is the 2nd time Ive done this. First time was just to change. 2nd time was because of the accident, I had to swap the bulbs out. However, I had to get matching pair and the previous pair was no longer in stock. I like things perfect, so i swaped them both out to match.

Anyway, my issue is that I've got condensation in the fogs. More so with the driver side. Strange thing is, it will go away over time with the light on, but come back in minutes again. I checked the bulbs and everything, they are secure and there appear to be no gaps or misaligning the bulb into the socket. They are in their grooves just right. I also just noticed this today after my car wash.

I need some suggestions or ideas on why this is happening. Since the bulb is secure and there are no gaps that I can tell, then there's not much I can do and I'm not really worried about it. I'm just curious.
Warranty

I really hope this isn't a 'feature'.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm..something is definatly up. I checked it out this morning and the driver side is still fogged up. The passenger is clear. I wonder whats going on here.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked the foglights. Heated them up and it went away, but came back in less then a minute. Its not even cold outside. Maybe its me, but it looks like the sealant around the foglight under the lens is melted or something. Fog lights are suppose to get really hot right?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I just checked the foglights. Heated them up and it went away, but came back in less then a minute. Its not even cold outside. Maybe its me, but it looks like the sealant around the foglight under the lens is melted or something. Fog lights are suppose to get really hot right?
Well, any bulb gets hot, but yes, foglights generally get hotter because of the smaller enclsure.

I would seriously take it in, especially now that sealant looks melted.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to them. Of course they gave me every excuse. It's your aftermarket foglights, they are probably not a secure fit unlike factory bulbs... They said to leave the foglights on for 90 mins to completely remove any and all condensation. My only fret about this is, is that after another carwash, will it come back? Also, are foglights suppose to hum like the HID's? I swear i hear a distinct hum from my fogs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if i got shafted on these fog light bulbs. They said 2500k and I got 3000k. They say they are 100watt, but use the same watt as a normal 50 watt, just produce a brigther light. Im wondering if its ACTUALLY 100 watt!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wonder if i got shafted on these fog light bulbs. They said 2500k and I got 3000k. They say they are 100watt, but use the same watt as a normal 50 watt, just produce a brigther light. Im wondering if its ACTUALLY 100 watt!
If they are they'll melt stuff. I'm assuming they are, because you're having glue melt. I once melted a harness with 100w bulbs when 60w was what the manual called for.

And no, they shouldn't hum. The HID hum is the ballast, which is the "power" for the lights. Transformers and a lot of other stuff is in a ballist. I think your fogs are humming because they're pulling too much power and not getting it.

Get those out!! Like now!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^got ya. Okay thanks. They are 100 watt. I pulled them out and read the back of them. This is bull****. That seller lied. Also the condensation went away.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I took them out and put the stocks back in. The hum goes away after a few seconds unlike before it was always humming. It's not as hot and the condensation is gone completely. Those bulbs were bogus and had a ****ty seal on the back of them. When i compared them to the stock ones, they were weirdly sized. I had nokya 2500k before and they were great, but they were no longer found on ebay because nokya warehouse was low on them. So i opted for some other types. Big mistake.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well I took them out and put the stocks back in. The hum goes away after a few seconds unlike before it was always humming. It's not as hot and the condensation is gone completely. Those bulbs were bogus and had a ****ty seal on the back of them. When i compared them to the stock ones, they were weirdly sized. I had nokya 2500k before and they were great, but they were no longer found on ebay because nokya warehouse was low on them. So i opted for some other types. Big mistake.
Glad we got it sorted. I'd return the bulbs and demand a full refund. Explain exactly what happened.

When I buy bulbs, I buy PIAA, Sylvania or stock only. You get what you pay for in automotive lighting. i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one of our site vendors could take care of you.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, They are good bulbs for what they were. It's just, the wattage was wrong. Plus the color was not 2500k like advertised, but 3000k. I let the color go, as it was pretty close to what i wanted. But it's the 100 watt part that I didnt like. It's possible I misread the description. But the color part was obviously wrong. You live and learn.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They're up there. I had piaa plasma yellow for my prelude's foglight and i got them for about 56 bucks if i recall. I had them for 2 years till I sold the car. Nokya and Luminics are a good brand as well. I liked my nokyas on the crz till one busted in the impact. Ive never had good luck with sylvannia though. I remember I went through 2 pairs and they burnt out in like 3 months. Ive had better luck with 5-10 dollar ebay lights than sylvannias. *lol*

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
How much should hte PIAA fog lights be? I've seen them as high as $99 for gt yellow bulbs.

-Hoi
That's about right. Link? What bulb part # is in the CR-Z fogs?

Borcth, any more issues, or did we fix it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: I know its been a while. One of my bulbs went out. Aftermarket ebay cheapos. My fault. Anyway, i replaced it and now I get condensation. It was good till now. So i said F it and put the stocks back in. I still get condensation even with the stocks. So i think the housing is shot. I'm gonna swing by the dealership in the morning and see if i can get the fogs fixed under warrenty. I stopped by last time and they said let it run for 90 mins. Ive ran them plenty long, so hopefully they'll fix them for me. This condensation fiasco is really annoying me now. I think with the combination of being hit on that side. Remember my foglight assembly/housing was all destroyed. I had to get a new assembly, but kept the housing. I think that and the melting from the ****ty 100watt bulbs did them in. I got a friend who works in service. Hopefully he can help me out.

What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.