Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I've had a very strange electrical issue with my car.

I've had it for a little over a month (2000 miles on it) and never had an issue until now.

I went to the car, opened it as usual (with the remote) but when I sat down, I noticed something was wrong. There was no blue light on the dash. I put the key in and nothing happens, not a single electrical device was operating, the car was completely dead. I supposed the battery was empty but found it really strange for a brand new car.

I had to lock it using the physical key because the remote was no longer working and I left with my other car.

3 hours later I was back. I park next to the CR-Z planning to start it using jumper cables but suprise when I unlocked it, I noticed it was back working again. I started the engine without any issue. So the battery was not dead at all after all.

I then find unsurprisingly that everything has been reset. The car audio unit is asking for a password, the clock has reset, IMA indicator shows an empty battery even though it's actually full, bluetooth pairing were forgotten...

I reset everything, took it for a drive and everything seems back to normal but I find this incident quite unsettling.

The only thing special I can note is that it was raining.

I will take it to the dealer to get it check out next week.

Did anyone experience anything like this ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I read a post here where a guy left his lights on and it acted exactly like yours just did.

He said it was dead at first then, hours later, it seemed fine.

Perhaps something was on?

I had a car that drove me crazy with the battery dying for no apparent reason ...
Eventually I discovered that the rear-defrost control was broken.
It would get stuck after use and leave the rear-defrost on until the battery died.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I read a post here where a guy left his lights on and it acted exactly like yours just did.

He said it was dead at first then, hours later, it seemed fine.

Perhaps something was on?
Yep, twas me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I had a good look when that happened and the light were on 'auto' like usual. I'm pretty sure no light was on when I parked the night before as I would have noticed in the dark.

The only thing plugged in was a handheld GPS that has been plugged permanently in the car since I got it and the 12 plug is not supposed to be working when the car is off so I dont think he's the culprit.

Less than 12 hours passed between the time when I came back the night before and when I tried to start it.

If the battery was really empty at one point and then actually recharged that could be that the IMA battery can recharge the regular battery... Which would be cool since it's kind of ironic to be stuck with a dead battery in a hybrid car.

·
Registered
669 Posts
In this car, there is no alternator. So charging for both the conventional battery and hybrid battery pack comes from the IMA motor. It would make sense that if the 12 volt battery discharged for whatever reason, that the IMA pack would be able to recharge it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The electrical failure happened a second time a few days ago but it now rules out a battery issue.

I was driving around, parked the car for a quick stop (2 mins) and when I came back the car was dead again. For a couple minutes, nothing was working just like the first time but it quickly came back.

Same symptoms : everything was reset, the radio was asking for the password and the IMA indicators showed an empty battery for a few moments.

I'm bringing the car to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The electrical failure happened a second time a few days ago but it now rules out a battery issue.

I was driving around, parked the car for a quick stop (2 mins) and when I came back the car was dead again. For a couple minutes, nothing was working just like the first time but it quickly came back.

Same symptoms : everything was reset, the radio was asking for the password and the IMA indicators showed an empty battery for a few moments.

I'm bringing the car to the dealer new week.
Have you done any mods to the car? Have there been any changes at all.. dealer installed or self installed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I left the lights on inside my CR-Z the other day by accident...but when I came back the lights were off....and everything started fine. I guess the car knows to turn the interior lights off after idling.... or after I've already locked the car from outside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealer I went in to for a test drive had the same problem, he blamed on it someone leaving the interior light on for the night. He had to jump start it, and told me that this happened often. Which obviously was not to my delight, but I bought the car anyway as it was so fun to drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.