Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a college student and don't have a ton of cash to throw into tuning the car. I have heard a lot of shops will allow you to have test parts or at a reduced cost if you let them use the car...any in the dallas area? Feel free to post alternative ways to go about getting parts etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am in the same boat as you, Dallas area college student. I have been around the forums for about a month now, and pretty much all of the shops / companies that allow you to test parts are based in California due to its vicinity to Japan. So unfortunately it seems that we are stuck paying full price for parts... :cry:

But if anyone knows otherwise, I too would be interested it knowing!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
for universal parts like wheels, you can get them used on other forums. as for other parts, used is also your best bet. problem is - the car is new so nobody here will be selling used parts for a while.

aside from used, sometimes the vendors do group buys. You can be savvy and try to find shops that pricematch to get the lowest price you can.

Dont spend money on cheap parts from non reputable companies, its better to wait

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I am a college student and don't have a ton of cash to throw into tuning the car. I have heard a lot of shops will allow you to have test parts or at a reduced cost if you let them use the car...any in the dallas area? Feel free to post alternative ways to go about getting parts etc.
Man, you DO NOT want to be a guinea pig! They'll use your car like it's nothing, ride it hard and put it away sopping wet. Don't do it.

My advice, as you're a college kid, is to save the money, buy a used car and play with that. You don't want a nice car in college. Jealous wankers will scratch it up and maybe even dent it.

Are your parents buying the car? If so, show them respect for the car and don't mod it. Modding is not a smart way to spend money. And college kids seem broke as all get out these days.

COBB tuning is in Dallas. They make fantastic parts, but I believe they focus on factory turbo cars like WRX/STi/Mazda MS3, etc.

·
Supporting Vendor
492 Posts
We are all in a similar position, but there are options out there to save money!

What parts are you interested in particular? I can help out as much as possible to get all of you guys taken cared of for pricing, but the thing is that of course these parts do cost SOMETHING from the manufacturer -- past that we can get you the best deal possible.

My one word of advice is that you get what you pay for...be careful on things that seem too good to be true, as the saying goes, it probably is. My motto has always been to save up and "do it once, do it right".

Feel free to shoot me a PM or phone call, I'd love to be able to help out!

- Jason

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Man, you DO NOT want to be a guinea pig! They'll use your car like it's nothing, ride it hard and put it away sopping wet. Don't do it.

My advice, as you're a college kid, is to save the money, buy a used car and play with that. You don't want a nice car in college. Jealous wankers will scratch it up and maybe even dent it.

Are your parents buying the car? If so, show them respect for the car and don't mod it. Modding is not a smart way to spend money. And college kids seem broke as all get out these days.
:yeahthat: Good advice. We want to keep the tuners in business, but..

if you do buy or already have that CR-Z, it is already probably 1 or 2 of a kind in the area. Let it speak for itself for now. Keep it stock and keep it. Once out of school and making the bucks, then it is maybe time to give the old college ride a good tuner's make over.

R/Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.