Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
What are the benefits of having a higher spring rate at the front then the rear?

I see that the bilstein has 6kg front and 4kg rear while the stock is 2.2kg front and 3.4kg rear. Will these make the car oversteer more? Say I want to set my car up for tight turns and series of slalom through cones. Which spring rates would be better? 6kg seems a bit high for a DD also.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What are the benefits of having a higher spring rate at the front then the rear?

I see that the bilstein has 6kg front and 4kg rear while the stock is 2.2kg front and 3.4kg rear. Will these make the car oversteer more? Say I want to set my car up for tight turns and series of slalom through cones. Which spring rates would be better? 6kg seems a bit high for a DD also.
6kg is definetly stiff for a DD.
Me personally, I'd like to try and get 5kg front and rear. That's just me tho....

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
For understeering purposes i think. If what i know is correct, on a front wheel drive car to minimize understeer you run stiffer springs up front and softer springs in the rear. The CR-Z may just be setup to understeer a bit (most cars are generally though) from the factory. This may also be compensation for the Torsion beam in the back which supposedly tends to makes the car more neutral / prone to oversteer.

Someone with more suspension knowledge may want to chime in and correct me or expand on anything here though. Im still not 100% on these things.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
How it was explained to me is like this:

On rear wheel drive cars, if you stiffen up the rear, it will loosen the front (aka understeer). Same goes for the opposite....

On front wheel drive cars, these rules don't apply. By stiffening up the rear, you get less understeer up front and increased oversteer in the rear. The result is increased "turn-in"

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
APEXi N1 EXv
5kg Front 4kg Rear
32 Way
Mono Tube
~2" up front and 2.5" Rear (Shorter front springs will allow a lower drop.)
$1190.00
Reuse stock Mounts
Other information? - Available from Basis Sport Tuning!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
^ I'll add em.

P.S. if you want a suspension that stiff buy mine, lol. I dont know why you want springs that stiff. 6kg/m linear springs feel amazing in turns. At this point my suspension is stiffer than the body it feels like. To get the most out of my setup I think i need some bracing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
How it was explained to me is like this:

On rear wheel drive cars, if you stiffen up the rear, it will loosen the front (aka understeer). Same goes for the opposite....

On front wheel drive cars, these rules don't apply. By stiffening up the rear, you get less understeer up front and increased oversteer in the rear. The result is increased "turn-in"
tomato, tomoto, same thing in my opinion.

the basic rules still applies. stiffen the front, loosen the rear. and vice versa.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looking for a set of AMR 8-way 3D's for my CRZ. DO any of the forum vendors carry these at a good price? Please PM me.

Northbridge got me set on those and now I just *want* them :)

Thanks,
AD

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
cant put a price on amazing service.

When i installed the AMR coilovers I thought the springs were a bit stiff. I recently emailed Andy @ AMR to find out about getting another set of springs. He advised me on ideal rates and how to set the softness on the damper for an ideal ride. I changed it based on his recomendations but still found the ride a bit stiff. I got an email a day later saying that he found a set of 4kg/m front springs and 5kg/m rears and he would send them to me to try if i paid shipping. I didnt even have a chance to reply and a few days later (today) the replacement springs showed up at my door!

Its amazing that Andy is a real person you can talk to and he is willing to work with you after a sale. I am super happy with the level of service provided and the fact that he is willing to work with customers to get their coilovers set up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is gonna be a noob question I know, but when you buy a set of coilovers, like for example, Eibach PS, is it the whole set that you're gonna get? I mean fronts and rears?

And in your experience guys, what is the best value for money set of coils?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Nice list! I remember when you first started it!Thanks NorthBridge! lol!

Thinking about upgrading mine... now that it is paid for. Maybe the Bisi's if they are still available. Don't want much drop... snow gets deep around here... and it's still my DD!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I remember correctly Buddy Club and Blitz suspension are made out of the same line in Korea. Megan, BC etc are off the same line out of Taiwan. Someone on spyderchat.com makes a set built from the Korean company confirmed this.

Tanabe uses GAB shocks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those of you with the Megan's, anyone go all the way down? Looking to buy some but need mine to drop reeeeeaaaall low. Pics please if any of you guys have em low as hell lol

121 - 140 of 169 Posts