·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heeeelllo.
Now, I'm sitting on some new stuff. Check this out
(Disclaimer: I'm quite an inquisitive guy, so here comes a wall of questions) :

HKS hipermax IV GT
Eibach springs in the front (8kg/mm, 7" length)
Swift springs in the rear (10kg/mm, 6" length)
(Thank rustbucket's crz)

Currently, from the center of the wheel arches, my ride height is
Front: 24½ inches
Rear: 23½ inches

I personally feel that it's a little too low (especially the rear). Thinking about winter months, and low spots on the road... And my driveway.

Now, I'm super inexperienced... And I have a week to sort out myself before I get an alignment (I won't be driving much till then, so it's time to be a nuisance :p)... Help a CRZboi out!

First thing I realized was that the steering wheel doesn't recentre itself anymore.(that's a caster thing, right?). It's also very soft at first (guessing toe has some significance here?).
These things should sort itself with an alignment, right?

Edit: went to a school parking lot to show what I meant, but then something even more interesting came up. The wheel will lock itself! I videotaped it. The turning circle is also very tight. Very! Very tight. Another thing is, if I hit a bump the wheel darts to the right...
Also, now that it's night time and quiet, it sounds a little bit clunky. Or well, I can actually hear the suspension. I videotaped that as well. Leads me to ask... How will I know if I bottomed out?

(as a side note... I got stopped by police in the parking lot. LOL well then... This is interesting.)

Next thing is, with the ride height... (I failed to do this before I installed the coils but, what's the stock ride height?) what's the range I can actually set the ride height? For example, how would I know the bracket is too low? On the strut, I put it all the way down to where the bottom of the bracket is flush with the bottom of the dampener. Can I go lower? Is that the lowest? I would want to be able raise the ride height w/o raising my preload anymore.

(I looked in the installation manual and there isn't a hard and fast number telling me this is the amount of threads you can play with, this would be what too low looks like, yadda yadda yadda)

Third comes with actually tuning the thing. What does too stiff feel like? What does too soft feel like? I know the spring rate is relatively stiff. How would I take out bounciness (like one hard bounce is what I'd prefer. Not a bounce then smaller bounces afterwards to settle). I'll be tinkering with it Wednesday thru Friday before and after work. I hope I can get as much info as I can before then.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I'm a picky guy... So I'll definitely want to perfect my Z. Thanks for helping me out ahead of time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You're using HKS coil overs but eibach springs front and swift springs rear? What happened to the HKS springs?

Your first question, yes take it to an alignment shop and the issues with steering wheel should be worked out by the shop. Let them know your concern and an experienced tech should be able to help you. Make sure the tech has experience with adjusting cars with coil overs or is at least passionate to work on modified cars. If your tech is the person that believes in stock or the way it was designed by the factory is best, then pass on that shop.

In your video it sounds like your car is bottoming out. I would have to be in it to give you a better opinion. As far as the wheel not returning to center in the second video? I don't know I never tried that on my car at that speed. It could be because your driving at such a low speed for the test. Does it return to center if you were going say 20mph?

As far as setting preload and ride height. I would leave pre load alone unless you track your car. Then you have different set ups for all sorts of things. Weight distribution down to the weight with you in the car, what type of track, short course, oval, road course, long tracks, 1/8 mile drag, 1/4 drag, top speed run, etc etc

Setting ride height, well where do you want it? For me, I like fender outline close to being flush with the tire. Or a one finger gap between tire and fender.
Just adjust it to where you like it, it is going to take a long time of lifting the car, taking off the wheels, adjusting the suspension, over and over to get it right, but thats the fun part right.

What does to stiff or to soft feel like, that is a question only you can answer and adjust to how you like it and what you need it for.

Good luck its a PITA to get it where you want it, suspension is like beauty, what I think is beautiful you may find repulsive. But whatever works for you and makes you happy is all that matters.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I bought these coilovers from Rustbucket when he was parting out his CRZ. He said they were slightly used (around 10k km from what I remember. Could be wrong with the exact number, but I do know it was very low in km's). HKS springs were swapped out early in his build for something stiffer. Also a whole lot more affordable for me buying them brand new.

Good to know I'll be lifting and driving around a bit to get it to what I like. Haha I'm ready for it. I want to be just an inch under stock height if I can. It looks possible with the spring perches on the rear, but I don't know how low I can go with the bracket on the front. I personally don't want to have any of the threads of the bracket come off the strut at all unless I know I can do that.

An alignment is planned out for next Saturday at my brother's shop... Full of compassionate car guys, some young... Some middle aged. Quite a few builds daily driven there... I believe my car's gonna be in good hands.

I have this week to actually fine tune the car to what I'd like. Thankfully, I'll only be driving 25km each day till Saturday. I'll be babying the car until then.

I see that you think it's bottoming out (it was something that came to mind... But I've never experienced that before, so I wouldn't know exactly what to look for except sounding thunky). If it has any significance to sound, I'm also using Cusco pillowball top mounts.

No, it doesn't return at speed (for example, I was making a left turn and I had to center the wheels myself. Same with driving around my neighbourhood. Safely, I could only videotape it in a parking lot)

I'm gonna ask my brother what he thinks if he can give it a drive. He's far more versed in cars than I am.

Guess I'm in for a journey. I'm ready :3

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And a journey it was!

I think... This was one of the most interesting things I've come across.

A week of Google-Fu, pulling up grade 12 physics, YouTube videos left right and centre, and even a whole website dedicated to vehicle adjustment (rapid-racer)... I finally have my car set up, and have one last thing I need to do.

So far, I can say that Rustbucket was on something good. 8kgf/mm in the front and 10kgf/mm in the rear is an amazing set up. The car feels very, VERY firm. Ironically, I like it more than stock! This is my type of firmness.

I'm gonna do a write up on how I set them up, it's mainly stolen from a YouTube video but it was an obscure find... I don't mind sharing the information!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts