Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help in diagnosing:
After installing the intake I've had a permanent code p0171.

From what I've gathered it appears I may have a vacuum leak OR an issue with the fuel system (dirty injectors, low fuel pressure, etc.)

The Long term fuel trim stay at about 25% during idle and during driving/Crusing it goes down to about 23%.

I've included a snapshot of the car during idle.

I've tried the propane method as well as the Carb cleaner method to try and find a Vac leak but haven't been successful.

This is my first time diagnosing an issue like this. So far I've run 2 tanks of Chevron fuel system cleaner, and currently on a 1/8 tank of gas +injector cleaner.

Does anyone know if this car has a fuel filter (like the type the Integra had under the hood up by the driver side firewall) or does this only have the one in the fuel tank?

Any input for this appreciated!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
How soon after intake swap did the code appear? Of all the aftermarket intakes, the Takeda is the most apt to pop a code. Check all your connections: MAF sensor, filter housing, throttle body, etc. Loosen and then Re-snug all the nuts screws and bolts. While It is possible that something else is causing the issue, the problem occurred after you did the intake swap so that's your most likely culprit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It popped up almost immediately.. About 5 minutes into my first drive it went into limp mode, and I couldn't change from normal to sport or to eco mode unless
I did a ECU reset. Interesting thing is now it has a "permanent p0171" that persists through resets.

Thanks, I've gone though all the connections I don't know how many times now.. I'm just about to put the stock intake back on and call it a day.

I've cleaned the MAF sensor, even swapped it for another one with no luck. Its bizarre because it's not like there's a lot of connections on this thing.

The MAF sensor is so close to the TB that any "point of problem" related to leakage of unmetered air and the takeda would be at the intake/tb joint and the MAF insertion point. There is for sure no leaks at those 2 points.. So I am at a loss

What I am suspecting is I did get this car with 166,000+ mi with a past I have no idea about. Maybe it's possible the fuel system was already compromised but since it didnt need that much fuel output due to it being a conservative airbox.. There was no problem. But now that it's got way more air, the compromised fuel system can't keep like it once did. Does this sound possible?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same code show up a few times during the winter. I would say look into a fuel map to get it to stop being so lean. But short of getting it tuned, I'm not sure what would work.

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
How much trouble is it to put it back to stock? If issue disappears then it is an intake issue if it does not then you may have a failed MAF sensor. Are you using an Oiled filter with the Takeda intake? Have Spark Plugs ever been replaced?
A new MAF sensor will cost from $23 to $90 from Rock Auto

Those are the items I would look at.

It popped up almost immediately.. About 5 minutes into my first drive it went into limp mode, and I couldn't change from normal to sport or to eco mode unless
I did a ECU reset. Interesting thing is now it has a "permanent p0171" that persists through resets.

Thanks, I've gone though all the connections I don't know how many times now.. I'm just about to put the stock intake back on and call it a day.

I've cleaned the MAF sensor, even swapped it for another one with no luck. Its bizarre because it's not like there's a lot of connections on this thing.

The MAF sensor is so close to the TB that any "point of problem" related to leakage of unmetered air and the takeda would be at the intake/tb joint and the MAF insertion point. There is for sure no leaks at those 2 points.. So I am at a loss

What I am suspecting is I did get this car with 166,000+ mi with a past I have no idea about. Maybe it's possible the fuel system was already compromised but since it didnt need that much fuel output due to it being a conservative airbox.. There was no problem. But now that it's got way more air, the compromised fuel system can't keep like it once did. Does this sound possible?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts