Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just touch it up here and there with an all purpose cleaner and paper towels. I've never been a big proponent of steam cleaning or running a hose in there. There's just too many electrical things that can go haywire and unless I'm competing in a car show, don't really see the point of having it be squeaky clean.

·
stop taking me seriously
8,136 Posts
To brighten up the rubber hoses, one of our previous forum members suggested rubbing tire shine on all of the plastics and rubber hoses underneath the hood. It give the engine a really polished, new look.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I started using Simple Green about 25 years ago when I was showing Corvettes in car shows. There might be better products out there, but I was still reeling in trophies about 7 years ago when I got out of the Vette business.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Use plastic bags on the top the alternator, battery and other exposed electrical parts. Spray some simple green all over the engine and let it sit for a bit (having the engine slightly warm will help with getting the dirt off). After you let it sit, use LOW PRESSURE water and rinse off the simple green.

Start your engine and let it air dry while the engine runs. A lot of my car show friends use this method and it seems to work well for them.

·
Banned
651 Posts
not supposed to use tire shine/silicone products on the rubber hoses, etc. It will make them rock hard and end there life a lot faster...
simple green is the correct product. Not armor all.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That rubber treatment does the same thing to your tires too.

OTOH, this is the age of instant gratification without regard for consequences.

·
stop taking me seriously
8,136 Posts
I'm really interested in seeing what about the tire shine breaks rubber and silicone down. Does anyone have any links to an article or anything? I'm surprised I haven't heard about any lawsuits from people who put tire shine on their weekend cruisers. Also, is there a difference between petroleum based and non?

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Yeah, I kinda thought some were marketed as tire conditioners, supposedly good for the tires. Maybe it is specific to the compounds in tires? Gotta think tires would be more resillient to environmental factors than many types of hoses, though.

Non-expert opinion, though.

·
stop taking me seriously
8,136 Posts
From what I understand from silicone and petroleum distillate in tire shine, applying to a tire that is already somewhat worn and cracked may "re-moisturize" the rubber in the tire, causing it to be stretchier and crack further, but rubber and silicone are the weakest when they've been drying out, so when covering it with a tire shine, basically grease, it would keep these compounds moist and preserve the elasticity of the rubber.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Silicone doesnt ruin the rubber on engine hoses, it makes them turn white.

Personally I do a quick spray down with water...engine should be hot first. Then use an acidic degreaser like "purple power" and a long bristle scrub brush. Scrub it down as quickly as possible and then rinse it off before the water evaporates.

Brake cleaner works well on all rubber hoses. Spray the cleaner into a rag and wiper it all down.

As far as shining the engine I use turtle wax tire shine that comes in a clear spray bottle. I always spray into a rag first to resist overspray onto aluminum parts though since it will get into anything porous.

·
Banned
651 Posts
brake cleaner dulls and eventually strips painted surfaces.
bad.
use simple green diluted with water. I use the simple green equivalent called Jungle Jake. keep it away from alloys though....

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I use Engine Shampoo: (just make sure you cover your Alternator and Intake Filter)

^ In the video he says you want the engine warm, but actually you don't... you want it safe to the touch.

You can then go in with an Engine Dressing to make certain parts shine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cleaning Your Tires - Discount Tire Direct

Or is telling us to use tire dressing some ploy to get us to ruin our tires and buy more?
If nothing else, it is irresponsible. It does not mention blooming, it does not mention cleaning, it does not mention chemical base. As with all of the detailing threads, there are too many variables to say one way is right for everyone. It's not so much a ploy to get us to buy something. It's just that they don't know better, as are most of their employees. They are not tire experts, they are tire installers and work on volume.

If you keep your ride in tip top shape, the process to clean it is different from those that wash and detail once a month. And that differs from the ones that wash when needed and detail once or twice a year.

There are a few key items that apply to all situations. Use the most diluted and least aggressive chemical as possible. Do not use chemicals to substitute for elbow grease. Use water based chemicals over solvent based chemicals. Think moderation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I never did any in depth cleaning of the engine bay on my cars, when done washing them, I would just give a wipe down with a damp cloth in the places I could reach that were dirty.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I only open my bonnet, hood to you colonial types, to check liquid levels. :iough:

Service takes care of everything else. :hi5:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts