Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I purchased a 2010 Civic Si (FG2) a few months ago. I like everything about the car, except the rev hang. If you don't know what that is, it's basically the ECM not letting the engine RPM drop immediately after you shift. If, for example, you shift at 4K RPM, the ECM will hold the revs at 4K for about 3/4 of a second and then it will let them drop. And the more spirited the higher up the RPM range you shift, the longer the "rev hang" lasts.

Now there are ways to get around it, like reflashing the ECM with a Hondata reflash tool, but I'm not willing to void my warranty. Also, if something goes wrong with my engine Hondata is not gonna pay for it, even if it was their fault.

So...

1. So, does this car have the same rev hang problem as the Si?

2. How well does the "drive by wire" behave? Does it feel like having a traditional "drive by cable" system, or does it have all the DBW gremlings?

3. Does the engine shut off in sport mode? If so how does it feel when you start to engage the clutch? Any jerkiness or unsmoothness?

4. Any problems with the manual transmission? Notchiness? Grinding?

5. How long will the battery last if you drive flat out?

6. Where is the US version of the CRZ being made?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1) From what I hear there appears to be the same rev hang.
2) I coudlnt tell ya
3) In sport I have yet to have it. When it does in normal mode, there can be a bit of jerkyness if yer too trigger happy on the throttle.
4) CVT, couldnt tell ya
5) Its a hybrid, so if you go flat out, its gonna mainly use gas.
6) Ohio

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
1 there is rev hang, but once you get used to driving DBW you dont notice it. I didnt even notice rev hang after driving my R18 for a year

2 The DBW is weird, it changes different sensitivities based on the mode you are in, So in sport its really sensitive, in normal its normal like my R18, in Eco, its very dull so you can dial in the best throttle position for best fuel eco.

3 The engine does shut off in sport mode. It happens to me all the time.

4 the 6 speed is butter, no notchiness, no grinds. Smooth butter shifts.

5 the battery will recharge if you are braking, if driving flat out im sure it could last 10 miles? Im not too sure. I dont see a need for just topping out the car. At high RPM the assist gets less so you use less battery.

6 Ohio

·
Registered
395 Posts
1) It's not a problem, It's a feature of DBW. (Welcome to the future)
2) Im fine with it, you can tell its DBW though (of course).
3) Yes autostop works in any mode. You can't even notice if you turn the radio up.
4) nope
5) depends on road and terrain - half hour of wot? It recharges endlessly as you drive it if your not driving like a mad man.
6) who cares.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
1. does this car have the same rev hang problem as the Si?

2. How well does the "drive by wire" behave? Does it feel like having a traditional "drive by cable" system, or does it have all the DBW gremlings?

3. Does the engine shut off in sport mode? If so how does it feel when you start to engage the clutch? Any jerkiness or unsmoothness?

4. Any problems with the manual transmission? Notchiness? Grinding?

5. How long will the battery last if you drive flat out?

6. Where is the US version of the CRZ being made?
1. Only in Sport Mode but changing the way you shift will make it un-noticeable.

2. changes with Mode and i don't have an issue with it.

3. i don't think so, but don't know for sure. But, the engine starts back up only when you put the shifter in gear and there is a small shake, same as when you originally start the car in your drive way but it is very smooth.

4. i find it very smooth. always liked Honda tranies.

5. the Battery is used up alot quicker in Econ and Sport mode, and especially if going uphill. I drive in Normal mode all the time and out of the 10 "bubbles" identifying battery strength it never goes lower than 7 or 8.

6. ALL CRZ are made in Suzuka, Japan. I don't know where you guys got Ohio from.

for that last one. taken from Honda.com:

"The Honda CR-Z, in addition to the Civic Hybrid and Insight, is produced at the Suzuka Factory in Suzuka City, Mie Prefecture, Japan."

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's built and assembled in Japan. My vin number starts with a J as does most people's signifying it's final assembly point was in Japan.

After autostop, the car restarts when thrown into 1st with me hardly noticing. I've had no problems with it even in sport mode with aggressive driving. It took awhile to get used to but I don't notice it anymore.

There is some rev hang but it's alright.

The stock tires (what I have) suck. Get the wide 17 inch rims. Wish I had.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Hi,
US version of CR Z being made is in ohio.
Uh???? :p

I am having honda civic SI and having a problem in manual transmission. Its hard to change the gear. Any solution?
CR-Z Forum this is. Dialed the wrong forum me thinks.. or tr0lling perchance... :cry:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi,
US version of CR Z being made is in ohio.
I am having honda civic SI and having a problem in manual transmission.
Its hard to change the gear.
Any solution?
are you trying to tell the Si is being made in Ohio, for CR-Z it is only made in Japan and ship worldwide (List of Honda assembly plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I think the MT issue on the US Si might have problem, as most of you guys trying to point this out, but my EP3 was made in UK and had been driving for 8yrs with close to 240,000km on it, the transmission still working perfectly fine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The rev hang is INCREASED by the addition of the Spoon Throttle body, it is a great help for aggressive shift up, i think it is the wanted behavior.
This little rev hang is also a breeze to drive smoothly in econ mode.

while downshifting this is no help at all and, there is still some lag on the throttle, so, to rev match correctly need a very heavy kick, and at least half a second.

I think this rev hang is wanted and by design, probably more a feature than a bug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.