Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't see this being very effective on a stock shifter. I run a ch knob and extender on my 99 civic. But I'm also running a skunk2 short throw.

The purpose of this extension is to make your reach from your steering wheel to the knob quicker. That way your hands can get back on the wheel quicker. Usually for circuit racing.

The poster above saying about a shorter shifter.. People are usually looking for a shorter throw not a shorter shifter. That takes place from the pivot point and where it bolts to the linkage. The longer that is the shorter the throw.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I can't see this being very effective on a stock shifter. I run a ch knob and extender on my 99 civic. But I'm also running a skunk2 short throw.

The purpose of this extension is to make your reach from your steering wheel to the knob quicker. That way your hands can get back on the wheel quicker. Usually for circuit racing.

The poster above saying about a shorter shifter.. People are usually looking for a shorter throw not a shorter shifter. That takes place from the pivot point and where it bolts to the linkage. The longer that is the shorter the throw.
Still.. when you increase the length of the shaft, you are also increasing the length of the arc at the top of the shaft... increasing the length of the throw! Not by much.. but some...

I'd say this is only for looks in a CR-Z.... and I personally don't care for it. But to each their own...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
i would also be worried about the extra torque you are putting on your shift components... you will have much more leverage cramming it into second with that extension and more probability of damaging something when compared to stock or a lower shift height.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The more arc going into a shift with a stock throw is understandable.

I'm not sure if there is a short throw made for the crz or if it's even possible because I'm not sure how the shift setup works "yet" (I don't own a crz yet)

Not sure if any of you owned older civics and/or had a chance to drive one with a short THROW shifter. The shifter height stays the same but the throw is greatly shorter. Adding this extension to a short throw actually made the throw feel exactly like a stock throw but it just put the knob at a more comfortable position.

Here is a good read on a shifter extension: http://www.fastlineperformance.com/product.php?productid=5&cat=1&page=1

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Saint is right on all of it. If u look at alot of the time attack cars even drag cars they knobs are extended. I've driven in some with short shift kits and the extension and it's very quick how u can bang the gear with barely losing control of the wheel. I want on of these for my car aswell, just still debating on what knob to go with. Extension is only 35$

·
Registered
780 Posts
The ENTIRE purpose of that thing is as follows:

You install a short throw shifter linkage (actually reducing the movement to change gears)

Than you install the extension so the shift knob is closer to the steering wheel for faster gear changes WHEN RACING!

The entire idea of those things are for racing. Now in an AutoX or Road Race situation where you want your hands on the steering wheel all the time it is a nice option to have. I used one in the STi when I road raced. But why do you think most race cars are going to an automatic clutch system? Paddle shifters are the way to go when racing, you don't have to remove your hands from the steering wheel and the gear changes are much faster than any human can make.

Now is the answer go out and buy a CVT CRZ, no. I have one, only because of the better fuel economy.... wish I got the stick but my wife complained.... haha.... anyway no, Cars like the EVO X and GTR have an advanced clutched automatic transmission. Hard to explain really, but it is sort of a manual sort of an automatic. But it can make fast crisp gear changes with out the normal loss of power you see in an automatic gear box.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
^true, and installing this extension without installing a short shifter kit before pretty much defeats the purpose of the extension.

In the video that saiint posted in the link the throws are already very short.

for stock shifter, a lower shifter height will provide a shorter shift. its simple math people.

do i need to bust out the pythagorean theorem here?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.