Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z 3DR EX CVT 62k miles
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
UPDATE - due to work schedules and lack of a backup car, I haven't been able to park the CRZ for repair (I haven't got the replacement cooling fan yet, either). I was hoping it would keep working until I could get a muffler replaced on my backup car, but supply chain is empty for the muffler I need. Tonight, granddaughter / CRZ-driver sent me a pic of a new fault indicator - CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM. She was able to drive home from work, but CRZ won't start now. Will dig deeper when back home from Thanksgiving trip.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Till fan is replaced I would suggest having the car on a charger maintainer when parked and get a LI-ION jump starter to keep in the car. I have both of these items and it gives me a sense of security about having my car work when it is needed and I don't have any issues (yet). My car is always on the charger maintainer when it is not being driven.

This is the one I bought and it goes on sale periodically. I permanently connected the quick disconnect to the battery but it also comes with clamps.

Once fan is replaced you may want to consider having the under hood battery load tested or replaced. They tend to die if they get discharged too far or too many times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
* UPDATE *
I just ordered the PM9503 fan assembly from RockAuto.com, $178.18 incl tax + ground s/h to my IL address. My granddaughter put the CRZ under-hood 12V battery on the charger a couple hours ago, it seems to have charged up fine (from the 60% charge reported initially by the charger). Tomorrow evening I plan to drive it the 2 hours from Bloomington to home, if I can do so. If it quits on the way, I'll have AAA tow it the rest of the way home to my driveway (I'm covered for 100 miles towing distance). I'll keep the group informed when I have more news. Again, thanks to all.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Everyone should own a LI-ION jump starter in every vehicle. If you do own one charge it once a quarter. Eventually all under hood batteries die. It just happens more often on ours especially if you have an IMA issue.

With the battery fully charged from the charger maintainer I see no reason why it should not get you all the way home. With the weather being a little cooler lately that will help as IMA Battery will stay cooler. While you are working on the fan have the charger maintainer on the underhood battery even if battery is not connected to the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
On a fully charged 12V battery & codes cleared, I drove 65 mph in eco-mode the 2 hours home. CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM lamp toggled ON & OFF the last 20 minutes of the drive, but happily home safely. I did have my booster pack handy, in case. Rock Auto says my IMA FAN order has shipped, will be here Wednesday.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts