Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z 3DR EX CVT 62k miles
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I forgot to introduce myself, I'm a happy 3-year owner of 2011 CR-Z w/CVT + 72K miles, joined 6-months ago. I love groups like this, where we share concerns & solutions. My older grand-daughter has driven this daily as a college, then grad-student & now to work. We all think it's cool.

Not quite 2 weeks ago, the CHECK IMA SYSTEM lamp illuminated, so driven daily but minimal distances since. The IMA message stayed OFF starting next day, but CEL stayed ON.

Yesterday, Blue driver fault-check tool reports: P1448 Confirmed - Intelligent Power Unit (IPU) Module Fan Problem.

Also reports: 2 ABS codes 61-01 Power Source Failure for ECU (Low Voltage), 16-01 Right Rear Wheel Speed sensor Signal Failure

Also reports a power steering code 11-02 IG1 Power Line Failure

Also reports SRS codes E1-11 Left front airbag and left seat belt tensioner stopped deployment, F1-11 Left front airbag and/or left front seat belt tensioner deployed

It also reported some recalls that I'll explore later.

I've cleared the codes, CEL is off now, though the tool reports the IMA is a permanent fault that only the automobile can self-clear when it decides it can, LOL.

I understand it's a fault associated with the EV-battery cooling fan. I see where it is & costs to self-replace. I'm going to drive it ~100 miles today & see if the IMA lamp returns. Hoping it was a random hiccup never to return, will keep an eye on it, assuming it will reappear & need fixed. Given it is late October & the car is driven conservatively, mostly on the highway, maybe the cooler time of year will help a little, who know. Will update the thread if anything relevant happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
....in which case there is a repair for the IMA fan that can be done with some light electrical skills (vs outright replacement of the assembly) if that is indeed the problem....
Is the repair you mentioned for the IMA fan somewhere on this forum? Could you please provide a link, I can't seem to find it.

The only thing I've been able to find online regarding the IMA fan is this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/336056/I+got+an+error+code+p1448

{Scroll down to "Oldturkey03" 's post}

Thanks for any help you can give with the IMA fan repair,

Dave

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Is the repair you mentioned for the IMA fan somewhere on this forum? Could you please provide a link, I can't seem to find it.
This was one of them (will edit and update still searching)
P1448 Bad IPU IMA Hybrid Cooling Fan Motor ... Can it be...
Page 2 Peter swaps the mosfet and fixes the fan. Never got back to whether it throws any faults though. I couldve sworn theres another topic about this same thing still looking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The only thing I've been able to find online regarding the IMA fan is this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/336056/I+got+an+error+code+p1448

{Scroll down to "Oldturkey03" 's post}

Thanks for any help you can give with the IMA fan repair,

Dave
Searching for CRZ IMA FAN at youtube.com produces numerous videos for tinkering, troubleshooting & replacing the IMA cooling fan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drove 100+ miles down to Bloomington last Sunday to drop CRZ off with granddaughter to resume driving, no problem. She drove it a few more days, then today CHECK IMA SYSTEM lamp illuminated again. CRZ is 2 hours away, but next chance, I'll have the 12V battery load-tested & report back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If she's near an AutoZone or O'Reilly's or Advance Auto or any similar auto parts store like that, they'll load test the battery for free if she just drives it over there. @den458
Just pop the hood & they can do it as-is, all hooked up ?
No need to disconnect, pull it out, & carry it in ?
If so, wow, didn't know that was possible, thanks in advance for reply !

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Just pop the hood & they can do it as-is, all hooked up ?
No need to disconnect, pull it out, & carry it in ?
If so, wow, didn't know that was possible, thanks in advance for reply !
Yep. Even in Illinois. And if it turns out that the 12-volt is on its way out or otherwise fails the test, they'll even replace it for her for no extra charge over the price of the new battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, several updates for your collective consideration:
  • Near-term, the car is driven daily, no alternatives for now, work is a 40 minute one-way-drive away.
  • I noted previously that the 12V chassis battery passes the load test, so it isn't causing IMA fault issues.
  • CEL is always on, but IMA lamp only comes on about 30 minutes into the daily drive, 2x per day. The twice-daily trip of 40 miles is mostly highway, Bloomington to Decatur, IL & back, driven conservatively in ECO-mode. No reason to think the EV-battery is stressed, let alone exercised much the way it's gently driven.
  • In the +30K miles we've put on it, NEVER noticed the IMA cooling fan run until recently; idling in a Chipotle parking lot for a minute, it came on, not loud, but soft like a hand-held misting / cooling fan you might have in the summer; seemed an odd time for it to come on, with the EV battery seemingly under no load. It's a relief to know that fan runs for sure. Car otherwise seems fine.
  • The spare family car is a Smart car with a recent muffler failure, LOUD. We're a couple weeks away from a replacement muffler, then we'll swap it with the CRZ so it can get into the Honda shop.
  • I plan to read a bit more into the IMA fault, see if there is any simple troubleshooting I can do to solve this. I dread the dealer saying the EV battery is the cause, replace it, & other problems still remain, ya know ?.
Appreciate any new ideas for associated fuses, relays, anything I can test / re-seat / swap to avoid big-ticket costs, thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fix the fan and the lights will go off.
J1000 - please clarify on your "Fix the fan" comment: I noted in my last post that the fan seems to be working, based on my assumption, possibly wrong, that when the EV-battery is loaded, generating some heat byproduct, a temp sensor heat threshold is met & the fan comes on. It also makes sense to me that the fan, which I now know can come on, rarely does, given (I think) how it is driven. Should my fan be cycling constantly, ON & OFF, mine doesn't, therefore my fan needs replaced, LOL? What in my description indicates I need to fix the fan? Appreciate the clarification, TIA.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If the IMA light comes on you will have stored IMA codes.
You could get them read properly again to confirm a diagnosis.

If you still have a P1448 code then replace the IMA fan.
Just because it seems to be working does not mean it is working correctly.

Your symptoms including the fact the IMA light does not come on for 30 minutes suggest the fan is not running at the correct speeds so it is not cooling sufficiently.
I would simply replace/repair the fan at this stage.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
It is a multi-speed fan. When my car was new I would hear it more than I do now especially when it was hot out. I am always asking when the car is at a dealer if the diagnostics show any issue with my fan. But if you have a code it is in trouble and needs replacement. Bite the bullet and get a fan. If you are lucky you can find the exact right one in stock and just swap it out. it is not hard to do. If you are unlucky there are fans from other model Hybrid Honda's that you can swap parts from to your existing housing. This is a known issue and will get more and more as these cars age.

Summary Replace the fan!

·
Registered
124 Posts
J1000 - please clarify on your "Fix the fan" comment: I noted in my last post that the fan seems to be working, based on my assumption, possibly wrong, that when the EV-battery is loaded, generating some heat byproduct, a temp sensor heat threshold is met & the fan comes on. It also makes sense to me that the fan, which I now know can come on, rarely does, given (I think) how it is driven. Should my fan be cycling constantly, ON & OFF, mine doesn't, therefore my fan needs replaced, LOL? What in my description indicates I need to fix the fan? Appreciate the clarification, TIA.
Your code is for a broken fan. That is what indicates it from your posts.

You said it runs at full blast only. The lower speeds are not working.

You can ponder all you want about the possibility of this or that but the IMA code you posted is for a fan and it's happened hundreds of times to other owners and replacing the fan fixes it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts