Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The IMA light came on briefly and the check engine light came on at the same time. The check engine light is still on. Any ideas? Everything seems to operating normally; mpg is normal.

Code is P0A7f

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
We need the codes. Any other warnings other than the IMA and check engine? Our usual advice when anything weird happens is an under hood Battery load test but you would have other issues: a no start, remote door unlock fail , horn going off or something else. If just check engine , IMA and check engine stays on you need the codes.

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Code is P0a7f
This does not bode well"DTC P0A7F (Battery Module Deterioration) may be stored. " but do you know if this update was done to yours? Product Update: IMA Battery Software Update – 2011-2012 Honda CR-Z & 2010-2012 Insight | Honda & Acura

And others

If not then free update. If it has been done then you have a possible worn out or failed IMA battery. Dealer visit will be needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip speedbump. Can u explain how i would do a load test?

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
You can Go to any car parts place they test for free or a dealer or any car repair place. Ensure car is not running when it is done. If slip from load test has an RPM on it they did it wrong. Or you can buy a battery load tester at Harbor Freight. Load test is for the under hood battery.

But you missed my second more specific message about the TSB and the update for that particular code. You have an IMA battery ( Big expensive one in the back) issue and you may need the Free update or if it has already been done you have a failed or failing IMA battery issue and the only hope you have is if you live in a state where it is covered by the IMA warranty. See attached

If it were me since it is a free update I would talk to a dealer and have them check if yours was ever updated under the Technical Service Bulletin. Since you have the lights and that code probably not the under hood battery but never hurts to have the under hood battery load tested but most who have an under hood battery issue do not have just those two lights and or that code, which is very specific to Hybrids and the Big expensive IMA battery.

Thanks for the tip speedbump. Can u explain how i would do a load test?

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe the update doesn't fix anything, it just enables the MCM to recalibrate the SOC to stop DTCs and warning lights, and therefore Honda getting hassled by unhappy owners. For example, should your IMA only have 30% useable capacity, the SOC is reset so 100% is not 100% of the original capacity, but 100% of the remaining 30%. So no warning lights and an SOC meter that is fooling the owners. (this happens on the later models as well and probably every other EV)

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Better the free update than a constant message or having to replace the IMA battery out of his own pocket. Get the update. if you have a later model CR-Z that update is built in.

Here are his choices:
1) Ignore the warning lights and have decreased performance from the car( when IMA light is on certain things are disabled to protect the battery pack)
2) Get a Free update that may hide the issue but allow the car to work at the maximum performance it can and be more drive-able
3) Have IMA battery replaced at a cost of multi thousands of dollars if in a state where IMA is not covered.
4) Sell the car and pay a lot more to replace it.

If it were me I would get the free update no matter if it fixes the issue or hides it but allows car to be driven with no warning lights. These cars are now coming up on over 10 years old and we have to expect IMA battery issues to start coming up and each of us needs to decide what we will do when we get these issues. Mine is a 2013 and I live in a state with the middle warranty so I am hoping if my IMA fails either the federal warranty will cover it or the Honda Care I bought will. Otherwise it will be a very difficult decision as to what I would do.

The OP is in a tough spot and all I am trying to do is make suggestions to extend the period of time before he has to make that tough decision. Lowest cost option is the Update if it has not been done. No one likes to drive a car with a warning light on and reduced performance. My biggest fear for him is the car already had the update and even with it the battery is now failed and he is in a state with the lowest time/ mileage IMA warranty. Starts with a brutally honest discussion with a dealer and pray they can do something free or under the warranty.

FARMERGILES what would you do? You have a later one that has this update built in. You also live in a country that may not have an IMA warranty like we have.Your posting is not helpful no matter how correct it maybe and besides your car is not affected by this TSB. His is!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The IMA light was only on for a few minutes. Its the check engine light that remained. However now the check engine light has turned off. No lights on now. Should i still go for the update?

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
In My Opinion yes, but others will argue. At least find out if the update was done, they should be able to check for free. To turn off the lights may require X number of starts or Y number of miles.

In that case I still suggest have a load test done just to be sure under hood battery is now ok.

Some owners have had the IMA and Check Engine lights come on after a discharged under hood battery but when codes were checked it was not that specific code or any code. At this point I am happy the lights are both off but if it were me I would want to know if under hood battery recovered and if the update was done or needs to be done? I would also charge the under hood battery and take the car for a long drive if it were me.

How is the charge meter acting now?

The IMA light was only on for a few minutes. Its the check engine light that remained. However now the check engine light has turned off. No lights on now. Should i still go for the update?

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Another similar thread is this one but he knows he discharged the under hood battery and did not have that code or lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Better the free update than a constant message or having to replace the IMA battery out of his own pocket. Get the update. if you have a later model CR-Z that update is built in.

Here are his choices:
1) Ignore the warning lights and have decreased performance from the car( when IMA light is on certain things are disabled to protect the battery pack)
2) Get a Free update that may hide the issue but allow the car to work at the maximum performance it can and be more drive-able
3) Have IMA battery replaced at a cost of multi thousands of dollars if in a state where IMA is not covered.
4) Sell the car and pay a lot more to replace it.

If it were me I would get the free update no matter if it fixes the issue or hides it but allows car to be driven with no warning lights. These cars are now coming up on over 10 years old and we have to expect IMA battery issues to start coming up and each of us needs to decide what we will do when we get these issues. Mine is a 2013 and I live in a state with the middle warranty so I am hoping if my IMA fails either the federal warranty will cover it or the Honda Care I bought will. Otherwise it will be a very difficult decision as to what I would do.

The OP is in a tough spot and all I am trying to do is make suggestions to extend the period of time before he has to make that tough decision. Lowest cost option is the Update if it has not been done. No one likes to drive a car with a warning light on and reduced performance. My biggest fear for him is the car already had the update and even with it the battery is now failed and he is in a state with the lowest time/ mileage IMA warranty. Starts with a brutally honest discussion with a dealer and pray they can do something free or under the warranty.

FARMERGILES what would you do? You have a later one that has this update built in. You also live in a country that may not have an IMA warranty like we have.Your posting is not helpful no matter how correct it maybe and besides your car is not affected by this TSB. His is!
Spdbump, I thought you lived in the same state that I do, but I did not see our state on the list you attached to an earlier post.

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
The listing from the warranty covers all states. Find which category your car fits into. Here is the warranty chart again for those that need to find out their status. It is irrelevant where I am. If state is not specifically listed it is column A federal only.

Spdbump, I thought you lived in the same state that I do, but I did not see our state on the list you attached to an earlier post.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts