Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi , i have adapted a r18 08 civic throttle body that has a butterfly plate of 55mm

the bolt pattern is the same but you will need to make a adapter plate to port match the 2 , as the crz/ fit intake manifold opening is more of an egg shape and the civic opening is circle

the parts i used to make it work:
- r18 throttle body ,( heated the body with a butane torch to turn the coolant fittings with a deep crescent wrench to work with my original coolant lines

-r18 manifold (i cut the throttle body mounting face with a hacksaw and faced it down to the steel bolt inserts on a lathe )

-a 7/16" aluminum plate to adapt my manifold to the civic manifold adapter that i previously mentioned , i drilled out an undersized hole in the aluminum plate , then bolted the aluminum plate to my manifold and used a hook pick to scribe the egg shape on one side , then bolted it to the civic manifold adapter to scribe the circle the same way , then i carefully used an air die grinder with an aluminum burr bit to grind the aluminum to mate the two sides together , then i polished it up with a 120 flap wheel on the die grinder, i siliconed the aluminum plate to the civic adapter plate and the factory seals sealed from the manifold to the adapter , and from the adapter to the throttle body

cost :
-r18 throttle body $20
- r18 manifold $25
-aluminum plate $10
- metric extended bolts ( shop supplies)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought a ge8 manifold and r18 TB. Manifold was a direct bolt on. Throttle body requires a custom plate/spacer due to the IAC design and slight variations in inlet shape. I'm designing a 1 piece bolt on adapter that functions the same as the OPs original design . I will come back with updates. If there is any interest I can look into making more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sorry for the late update, been caught up with work and holidays. Excited to see activity in the forum! Protype was successful with a noticible change in throttle response! The prototype was printed in PETG for testing. Due to PETGs lower glass transition temperature the final product will be printed in Carbon Fiber Nylon. Finalizing model and calibration settings for the new Carbon Fiber Nylon material and will post once available.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive air manifold Car

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Nut Automotive super charger part

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update: So I have drove over 500 miles with the new throttle body and what a difference! Car feels much more responsive and quicker all around. I'm still able to achieve +30mpg if driving conservative and best of all this required no tune!

Re-Design: While the new material is specified for continuous use at 150°C I am still seeing creep at the upper IAC port. (see photo) While this has not caused any leaking thus far, a more robust design is needed. The plan is to further reinforce the IAC port and if needed extend the 2 IAC mounting bolts through the spacer.

I will come back soon with updates!
Auto part Circle Metal Household hardware Composite material

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive exterior
Vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Light Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 47 Posts