Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I charge the battery thru the accessory port? I searched and found that it’s possible but is it with this car? I would be using a trickle charger.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Better to just use charger connected under the hood. See this posting for directions on how to hook one up if you are not familiar. If you have a charger it probably already has clamps on it. Connecting to an accessory socket if you are not careful can cause shorts or reverse polarity. Why not just open the hood and attach the charger the normal way? If it is like a battery tender or other trickle charger you just add the ring connectors to the battery and you end up with a plug that connects to the charger. All much easier than wiring into the body of the car. You are still going to have to connect and disconnect the charger from AC power and the cord has to go somewhere. It is easier to route the cord from under the hood if you want to close the hood than through the door opening. You also want the charger as far away from the battery as the wires for it will allow for safety.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
238 Posts
I'm not sure if it's possible.
If the socket is connected through a simple switch/relay, then it should work. But, if it's connected through some sort of computer, then it won't work and you can cause some damage. Either way, you'd need to leave the key in the accessory or on position for this to work.

I think that the coolest way would be to run a connector from the battery to the fuel door. That way, when you need to hook up your car, you open the fuel door and plug the cable in there, just like an electric car.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Electricity near fuel not a good idea if you hook it up incorrectly and get a spark you lose car. Our gas caps are vented. Other hybrids that have charging ports the charging port is far away from the Gas fill.

The standard Accessory socket turns off with the key and do you really want to leave the car in accessory while charging? Kind of defeats the purpose of trickle charging it.

I'm not sure if it's possible.
If the socket is connected through a simple switch/relay, then it should work. But, if it's connected through some sort of computer, then it won't work and you can cause some damage. Either way, you'd need to leave the key in the accessory or on position for this to work.

I think that the coolest way would be to run a connector from the battery to the fuel door. That way, when you need to hook up your car, you open the fuel door and plug the cable in there, just like an electric car.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
238 Posts
Electricity near fuel not a good idea if you hook it up incorrectly and get a spark you lose car. Our gas caps are vented. other hybrids that have charging ports the charging port is far away from the Gas fill.
Didn't know our gas caps are vented. I doubt the risk is very high, though, especially on 12v. Keep in mind that the hybrid battery of a car is usually at least 140v, so sparks there are likely.

I guess that it's better safe than sorry anyways

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
A spark is a spark. The standard Hybrid battery will not spark unless you do something really stupid.

Didn't know our gas caps are vented. I doubt the risk is very high, though, especially on 12v. Keep in mind that the hybrid battery of a car is usually at least 140v, so sparks there are likely.

I guess that it's better safe than sorry anyways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts